Travel Agent

cj1717

Recycles dryer sheets
my long time travel agent just retired. He was outstanding, free and always provided "extras" on our trips.

Does anyone have a travel agent they would recommend?

Yes I do. Williams Holiday Travel 770-531-0705 Owners Name is Janette. I have used her for years.

JDARNELL

We no longer use travel agents except on cruises. Otherwise, we find the really great deals on our own--a hobby. Only the advent of the internet allows us to be so efficient.

Same here. We do our own. Except cruises. We use an on line agent to book. She rebates part of her fare in the form of obc.

Tried to use one for a South African safari a few years ago but it was a mess. Cont@cted the tour operator in South Africa directly and did it ourselves. Faster, more efficient, and less expensive.

Due to the "demise" of travel agents, it didn't occur to us to use one for our upcoming cruise later this year. This is our first cruise. DH and I travel extensively and prefer independent travel. The only tour we've ever been on is one to Egypt in the 90s.

Assuming we love cruising and elect to go on others, what do travel agents offer vs. booking yourself?

Assuming we love cruising and elect to go on others, what do travel agents offer vs. booking yourself?

(Generally), book ships through VTG, (we, rightly or wrongly terminology-wise, view them as a clearing house rather than a travel agency), since they'll often throw in OBCs that the cruise lines may not offer.

Ditto on VTG

I've found their prices ALWAYS the best.

I can’t imagine using a travel agent for anything domestic but I might to travel abroad including a cruise. If domestic, I’d try DIY and if that doesn’t work, seek a travel agent. YMMV

We’ve made our own domestic travel arrangements for about 20 years, easier than a travel agent IME. Even at Megacorp, very few people used travel agents unless they were going outside the US or Canada. I booked my own business travel to Italy and the UK.

Last edited:
I liken this to people that hate using FA's. We're retired so you should do it yourself :)

Thanks all. We'll keep VTG in mind for our Alaskan cruise next year or year after. A friend raved about the Costco offering but I told DH that for the Alaskan cruise I want to go on one of the small boats (2x+ more expensive). Want to get up close and personal to the ice :LOL:.

And I just remembered why I don't use travel agents. The only time we used one in the 90s for a trip to Greece was a disaster. She booked us into a hotel in Athens...we arrived at the hotel in a residential area, dropped off by the taxi, only to find a teeny note on the door saying we are closed and we're to go to X hotel at this address about a .5 mile down the road. It was a b*tch walking to the other hotel with all of our luggage. No taxis to be found. That "lovely" hotel rationed hot water and taking a shower had to be scheduled! Our overnighter on a boat to Crete cost us 100%+ more than we could have booked ourselves. We had her book it knowing it would cost a "little" more for the convenience of having tix in hand! She had booked it through an agent who added $$$. Sent a nasty note (about the boat costs) and got some of our $ refunded. Overall, the trip was fabulous, but we obviously used a crappy agent.

Thanks all. We'll keep VTG in mind for our Alaskan cruise next year or year after. A friend raved about the Costco offering but I told DH that for the Alaskan cruise I want to go on one of the small boats (2x+ more expensive). Want to get up close and personal to the ice :LOL:.

I will second Costco for great cruise prices.

I had been looking and looking for a cruise this spring, previously I've booked cruises directly at the cruise web site for the ship.

I checked VTG , and cruisecompete.com (which had better offers), and even "borrowed" a friends Costco member number so I could see the Costco deals.

Turned out Costco was MUCH better pricewise, after you figured in the OBC & Costco gift card bonus.
It was such a good deal, I bought a membership (executive level) just to buy the cruise. We will shop at Costco and give up our Sam's membership.

I think the worst cruise prices are at the cruise company website, I've never in years seen as good deals as other places which is weird to me.

The main potential financial advantages of booking a cruise from a travel agent are perks provided by the travel agent/agency and passing on discounts from block bookings.

The travel agent and agency get a commission from the booking. They can take some of their commission and provide it back to you in the form of Onboard Credits, sailaway gifts like a bottle of wine, etc. The higher volume agents get higher commission percentages so they can in theory likely be in a better position to offer you perks. However, YMMV as we used a high volume TA for a few cruises and even sent her referrals that booked with her and didn't get anything other than a thanks whereas when we used another TA, she provided a bottle of wine on our cruise and OBC's.
If you book through online through their website, the commission "disappears" and just stays with the cruise line. TA's have access to all the pricing categories, promotions, etc as they book you through the cruise line's own booking engine.
Places like CruiseCompete are basically discounting and offering perks by taking less of a commission.

Large volume agencies also pre-book blocks of rooms on certain sailings and pass on perks to you. Cruise lines offer a free cabin when you do a group booking of something like 10 cabins. Similarly, when a large agency does this, they get savings and perks from the cruise lines that they can pass on to you if you book on a sailing where they have a block of rooms pre-booked.

Similarly, some larger travel agencies that put vacation packages together, are able to get bulk/block pricing through some airlines and hotels which they can pass on the savings or perks (eg. Free breakfast at hotel, etc) to you. But I find this to be more hit and miss as depending on where you want to go and where you want to stay. You'll have better luck with these benefits if you are looking to book a vacation to say a resort in Mexico versus booking an itinerary through Europe.

Personally, I mainly use TA's for booking cruises and even then, I do most of the research myself and just give them the specifics of what I'm looking to book and ask them to see if they have any additional deals/perks they can provide me (via a block booking, etc).

I'll occasionally ask my TA if they can beat the price of a flight or hotel I've found/researched online. It's somewhat rare that they have though. The problem I find with TA's recommending specific hotels, is that it's going to be hard for them to have the first hand experience and in depth knowledge of the range of hotels at destinations around the world. However, they might be able to provide some guidance on the areas/neighbourhoods to potentially stay in. While you can likely research this yourself too, talking to someone with firsthand experience can be handy.

I use Costco travel for cruises as they kick back part of their commission to you as a Costco gift card. Example booked an Alaska cruise for this summer thru Costco and will be getting a $410 gift card back. That is after all the normal perks the cruise lines give ie free beverage package, free tips etc. I believe this is the best $$$ option for saving.

The main potential financial advantages of booking a cruise from a travel agent are perks provided by the travel agent/agency and passing on discounts from block bookings.

The travel agent and agency get a commission from the booking. They can take some of their commission and provide it back to you in the form of Onboard Credits, sailaway gifts like a bottle of wine, etc. The higher volume agents get higher commission percentages so they can in theory likely be in a better position to offer you perks. However, YMMV as we used a high volume TA for a few cruises and even sent her referrals that booked with her and didn't get anything other than a thanks whereas when we used another TA, she provided a bottle of wine on our cruise and OBC's.
If you book through online through their website, the commission "disappears" and just stays with the cruise line. TA's have access to all the pricing categories, promotions, etc as they book you through the cruise line's own booking engine.
Places like CruiseCompete are basically discounting and offering perks by taking less of a commission.

Large volume agencies also pre-book blocks of rooms on certain sailings and pass on perks to you. Cruise lines offer a free cabin when you do a group booking of something like 10 cabins. Similarly, when a large agency does this, they get savings and perks from the cruise lines that they can pass on to you if you book on a sailing where they have a block of rooms pre-booked.

Similarly, some larger travel agencies that put vacation packages together, are able to get bulk/block pricing through some airlines and hotels which they can pass on the savings or perks (eg. Free breakfast at hotel, etc) to you. But I find this to be more hit and miss as depending on where you want to go and where you want to stay. You'll have better luck with these benefits if you are looking to book a vacation to say a resort in Mexico versus booking an itinerary through Europe.

Personally, I mainly use TA's for booking cruises and even then, I do most of the research myself and just give them the specifics of what I'm looking to book and ask them to see if they have any additional deals/perks they can provide me (via a block booking, etc).

I'll occasionally ask my TA if they can beat the price of a flight or hotel I've found/researched online. It's somewhat rare that they have though. The problem I find with TA's recommending specific hotels, is that it's going to be hard for them to have the first hand experience and in depth knowledge of the range of hotels at destinations around the world. However, they might be able to provide some guidance on the areas/neighbourhoods to potentially stay in. While you can likely research this yourself too, talking to someone with firsthand experience can be handy.

Great info, thanks! If booking through a TA vs. yourself, can you still do all of your questions/communications through the cruise line vs. having to go through the TA? The cruise line we booked through was extremely helpful in navigating as a first time cruiser. This included providing client feedback on the various excursions.

We booked a veranda stateroom...no way am I going into the bowels (below the water line) or without a window the first time out :LOL:. So we received free basic beverage package as well as free wifi for 2 devices which were the best value of the 4 perks offered (we were able to chose 2 of the 4). We're flying on points, although they had some excellent flight prices and our co-cruisers are flying through the cruise line.

I don’t know why one wouldn’t run a trip through at least an online TA vs booking directly with the hotels, airlines, tours, etc (and if you go through any third-party for these, that is a travel agency, regardless of what they call themselves). Why not see how they compare?

Great info, thanks! If booking through a TA vs. yourself, can you still do all of your questions/communications through the cruise line vs. having to go through the TA? The cruise line we booked through was extremely helpful in navigating as a first time cruiser. This included providing client feedback on the various excursions.

We booked a veranda stateroom...no way am I going into the bowels (below the water line) or without a window the first time out :LOL:. So we received free basic beverage package as well as free wifi for 2 devices which were the best value of the 4 perks offered (we were able to chose 2 of the 4). We're flying on points, although they had some excellent flight prices and our co-cruisers are flying through the cruise line.

If you book via a TA (Costco for example), then any changes to your booking have to be done via the TA.
For example, I looked at our booking on the cruise ship website, and noticed DW loyalty # was not on it. I phoned the cruise line, and told them, it was not on it.
They told me to tell TA for any changes to the cruise, and the TA will phone them.
So I did, and while on the phone with TA, the TA phoned them and had it added.

Now, the cruise line did say, for anything NEW , like excursions, I can book them directly on their site, and don't need the TA.

Thanks Sunset. How about general questions re the cruise itself?

Another vote for COSTCO. At first I thought it was sort of a vending machine style of booking travel. Then one day I needed to speak to a real person. I can tell you they were great! So I started other trips though COSTCO and called earlier in the planning/booking process with more great results. The agent had a lot more at their fingertips than I was seeing on the COSTCO travel link. I've tried to beat their deals, most usually trips to Hawaii, but I couldn't come close. Disney World was another they really did a great job. I gave the agent a price and time frame, she called me back with a vacation condo on the 12th fairway with a pool area that was as good as any Disney attraction I experienced. The rental car was a Ford Expedition my grandkids named 'Silver Maximus'. It held 4 adults, 2 kids and all the strollers, luggage and sand we could throw at it! Ha! Side trips to Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral, Coco Beach, etc were booked and planned as well. Even some reservations for dinners we knew we wanted to try from referrals.

Thanks Sunset. How about general questions re the cruise itself?

I have found for cruises I've booked at the cruise line site, the best place to ask questions is: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Here you can look up your cruise, to ask about the various ports, tours, etc.
There are also reviews of things here.
And roll call, that is people on the ship you are going on, who discuss various things, and sign up for the meet & mingle (which is just a meeting with ship staff, and to meet folks you might have agreed to go on a tour with, etc. It's not a dating thing. ).

Also of course, on the cruise ship website, is lots of details about your ship, layout, what is allowed on board, the dining rooms, etc. in the FAQ's etc.

Thanks again Sunset. I'll check them out. We are totally unfamiliar with cruising!

Another vote for COSTCO. At first I thought it was sort of a vending machine style of booking travel. Then one day I needed to speak to a real person. I can tell you they were great! So I started other trips though COSTCO and called earlier in the planning/booking process with more great results. The agent had a lot more at their fingertips than I was seeing on the COSTCO travel link. I've tried to beat their deals, most usually trips to Hawaii, but I couldn't come close. Disney World was another they really did a great job. I gave the agent a price and time frame, she called me back with a vacation condo on the 12th fairway with a pool area that was as good as any Disney attraction I experienced. The rental car was a Ford Expedition my grandkids named 'Silver Maximus'. It held 4 adults, 2 kids and all the strollers, luggage and sand we could throw at it! Ha! Side trips to Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral, Coco Beach, etc were booked and planned as well. Even some reservations for dinners we knew we wanted to try from referrals.

This is great to know. We booked a Disneyland trip through Costco and were very pleased and will be looking at their Alaska cruises.

Thanks for posting this—we promised a 2020 Disneyworld trip for our kids and their fams when the four grandkids range between 9 and 5 years old and will definitely get Costco’s pricing.

Thanks again Sunset. I'll check them out. We are totally unfamiliar with cruising!

+1 to Sunset's comments.
The cruise critic board is a great resource with many folks that cruise frequently. (While I've only been on a half dozen cruises, I kind of hope to be one of those more frequent cruisers some day. :LOL: )

While it doesn't hurt to ask, the problem with trying to source specific cruise information from TA's and the cruise line's call center agents is that may not have had an opportunity to cruise the line, ship, or itinerary/destination that you're interested in due to the shear number of options. Plus, cruise lines are also often tweaking their different things from menus, service charges, etc and many times pilot it on a few ships to start. It's pretty tough to stay on top of that.

People love discussing and providing information from their recent cruises on the cruise critic forums so you're typically getting fairly up to date info, if not getting an answer from someone currently sailing on the ship itself.

I have traveled a lot. Almost always independently. I have used travel agents for certain types of air travel. For instance if you are flying different air partners on a leg. Or open jaw flights. I have also used them when there is a big language barrier. Like China. Sometimes it’s good to have a man on the ground with local contacts who can fix things when stuff happens. A hurricane blows in, for example. And you would rather not take the fishing trip in a gale.

Last edited:
Travel agents are at least good to check in with for cruises and air travel. I've gotten some deals that were better than anything I could find on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom