Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Next year we are doing south pacific scuba oriented trip that we have high hopes for. 1. begin with 10 day trip on the Naia liveaboard in Fiji; 2. end with Naia in Tonga with the Humpbacks, although that will be snorkel focused with non-whale diving on the side. 3. Solomon Islands (mainly Marovo Lagoon) to partially fill in the middle--much easier to get there from Fiji than from US and the reviews seem very strong.

We've dove the GBR far too many years ago and it was great--but the [extremely experienced] Kiwis we dove with in Fiji several years ago put those reefs above the GBR.

E.T.A.--our Scuba bucket list also includes Cocos, Galapagos, Indonesia for several months, Philippines, maybe Palau (not liking trend over past several years...), and many more.

Wow! Sounds like you've done some great dive trips. We did 2 weeks on Ocean Hunter III, a Palau liveaboard, and highly recommend the diving. Thousands and thousands of fish, great manta ray and shark dives. Also spent a few days on land and did a fun all-day kayak excursion. Loved Palau!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #22

PS - we did Gangga Island Resort in Indonesia for 2 weeks in 2013. Nice diving, would like to also try Raja Amphat.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Colombia has magnificent scenery, many national parks, some interesting cities, and it is now fairly safe. Costa Rica is a small country known for its natural beauty and national parks. Sri Lanka offers a lot to see in a relatively compact country, and it's easy to get around in English. The hassle factor is far lower than in India. If you haven't spent time in the Hawaiian islands, they're gorgeous and quite varied. My own favorite is Kauai. Chile & Argentina have beautiful scenery in the Lake region in northern Patagonia, with volcanoes and lakes. Torres del Paine NP in southern Patagonia looks magnificent, though I haven't been there myself. New Zealand has lots of beautiful scenery in a relatively small area. I liked the scenery in Tasmania a lot. I was underwhelmed with the scenery in mainland Australia but I liked Sydney & Melbourne. I did not visit Queensland.

Parts of Mexico are great. A monarch butterfly reserve I saw one winter was amazing. The cloud forest in the mountains of Oaxaca was great for hiking, and the city of Oaxaca is wonderful. Some of the desert scenery I've seen in Mexico is gorgeous, too. Last year I visited an amazing place called Las Pozas, a surrealistic sculpture garden set in a lush tropical forest. The colonial cities of Guanajuato and Queretaro are other favorite towns of mine in Mexico. Mexico City is a world-class city with some outstanding museums.

Agree re Kauai, Costa Rica & Queretaro. Never been to South America but would like to go. Would also like to go to Sri Lanka. They have volunteer trips to assist with sea turtles... my idea of a dream trip!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
If I were into Scuba diving, I might try Seychelles, Maldives. I like the sound of the names.

Maldives was my fantasy trip. I say was because it's a very difficult journey from CA and it's hard to decide when and where to go, so we just haven't done it yet. Pictures of Seychelles & Maldives are beautiful!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #25

Hawaii - it's gorgeous. I'm a former scuba diver but the snorkeling was great. Gotta believe the diving is better. And when you're on land it's just awe inspiring.

Italy - if that is not one of the European countries you've gone to, then this is a must-see. I have no idea if the diving is any good, but wow did I love visiting Rome/Florence/Venice.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

But it looks as if we're going to have to raise a 6 year girl in our retirement, and our vacations will be scheduled around school schedules. She will be a very well traveled child, however.
I just wanted to wish you luck with this. I love my grandchildren, but would not want to have to rear them, at our age. I will keep your situation in my prayers.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:22 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Places I've been - Alaska, Banff to Jasper Alberta, Kauai, Antelope Canyon, Norway, Switzerland.
Places I'm going - Yosemite, Utah National Parks, Patagonia, Glacier NP, Iceland.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If you're an engineering type, add transit of the Panama Canal. I just did that last month on my Central American trip. My only regret is that I'm just now finishing a fantastic book on the subject, "Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough, which goes into the entire history- the aborted French effort, the politics, the epidemiology, and the construction. Now I want to go back through, darn it!

After the thread on the Galapagos I now want to go there but it's crazy expensive- UnCruise goes there but it's about $14K for a single room ($9K pp double occupancy). I could broach the idea to my Aunt with whom I'm going to India next year and we could be roomies, but frankly, I enjoyed having a stateroom to myself on the last cruise. I just have to decide if it's worth $5K extra.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
After the thread on the Galapagos I now want to go there but it's crazy expensive- UnCruise goes there but it's about $14K for a single room ($9K pp double occupancy).
Lindblad would be a couple thou less than that, and they sometimes have deals that include free airfare.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Lindblad would be a couple thou less than that, and they sometimes have deals that include free airfare.
Thanks- I'll look into that, but not immediately. I have my major trips pretty much planned out for the next few years! Iceland in August, India next March, hoping for Scotland next summer, probably UnCruise Sea of Cortez early 2019, probably a meeting of my professional society in Hawaii combined with Australia/NZ in November, 2019.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Would have to second the idea of Hawaii since it has so much coast line, reasonably warm water and always warm weather (except at elevation.) A real nice winter vacation if you like to get away from real winter weather. I've never done scuba, but off Captain Cook on Big Island, I've snorkeled. Great fish, clear water, and lots of cool stuff to see on the island itself. Thinking about going back soon to see the volcanoes which have been in constant action for 20+ years. Each island has its own adventures and lots to do. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #32

Hawaii is beautiful and SCUBA is very good at least from the big island. Also love Kauai but haven't dove there yet.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Would have to second the idea of Hawaii since it has so much coast line, reasonably warm water and always warm weather (except at elevation.) A real nice winter vacation if you like to get away from real winter weather. I've never done scuba, but off Captain Cook on Big Island, I've snorkeled. Great fish, clear water, and lots of cool stuff to see on the island itself. Thinking about going back soon to see the volcanoes which have been in constant action for 20+ years. Each island has its own adventures and lots to do. YMMV
That place was really great. I loved snorkels there. Much better than in Maui.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If you're an engineering type, add transit of the Panama Canal. I just did that last month on my Central American trip. My only regret is that I'm just now finishing a fantastic book on the subject, "Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough, which goes into the entire history- the aborted French effort, the politics, the epidemiology, and the construction. Now I want to go back through, darn it!

We're doing this on a Princess cruise in February.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #35

Everybody has a different list. This one is mine... (which would be different than anyone elses.)

Galapagos Islands
Machu Picchu
Petras, Jordan
Angkor Wat
Australia (which has a whole sublist of place... will need at least 6 weeks there.)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

So far my favorite museums have been - The Vatican Museum, The Louvre, and the British Museum.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:01 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Starting our Vatican museum tour and Sistine Chapel tour in 1 hr! Lines, lines, lines everywhere! I told my son this is why you save and LBYMs so you can pay up and get the tours and skip all the lines. I hate lines!
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #38

So I've just begun my travel journey's so most of my places folks here probably have already been to.

1) Barcelona Spain
2) Yellowstone national park and grand tetons
3) Greece
4) Venice and Milan Italy
5) London.

I plan on knocking London off next summer
Old 05-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #39

I suspect you're in for a surprise.
I enjoy London so much I keep going back again and again. Been doing that for 40 years and no end in sight. Fantastic city!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in Iceland right now. Some of the excursions such as hiking a glacier will be tough to do in your later years unless you are in great shape.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote