Travel bucket list - top 5?

There are some things that might be fun to do or a nice diversion, etc. But a true bucket list doesn't seem to exist for me. I can't even say I've done all that much in this life. Perhaps I just never had great expectations. I've traveled a fair amount but nothing like many folks on this site who've been to every state/every continent (or even most countries.) I find most of my appetites to be pretty mundane. Still, thinking about "loops" got me thinking of something I sort of dropped a couple of years ago. I would like to fly around Oahu in a small aircraft (probably fixed wing rather than helio.) I started looking into it a while back and then sort of forgot about it. As much as anything, I think I would like to have some idea of what it was like on Dec. 7, 1941. I realize the growth of buildings on the island makes that now impossible, but I think I could forget about that from 2000 feet MSL. YMMV

Sort of vague, but:

1) Yosemite
2) Yellowstone
3) Cinque Terre
4) Peter Mayles's Provence
5) Utah canyonlands

Totally fluid...

Cinque Terri's awesome! Beautiful, quaint, and it seems life there is much the same as it was centuries ago.

We are planning to do a part of the Great Loop this Fall, taking our little trawler on the ICW from Virginia to the Keys and hopefully the Bahamas with dive gear ready to go! Can't wait!

We have been fortunate enough to RE before 50 so like you, we wanted to prioritize travel (also prefer tropical dive destinations and nature). Over the last two years, we spent a total of 7 months in Australia. It was not enough time to see and do it all, but definitely amazing. Diving was not my favorite.....Ningaloo was awesome but the rest was ok....too cold, poor dive ops and very expensive compared to other dive destinations.

We also spent time traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia (Angkor Wat was amazing) and the Philippines (diving mostly). We only spent 12 nites in Indonesia....all aboard Calico Jack, an amazing Liveaboard ...we did Raja Ampat... here's a quick video of our trip.

https://vimeo.com/212475401

Traveling is great. On our bucket list.... any place warm and sunny! Cheers!

We are planning to do a part of the Great Loop this Fall, taking our little trawler on the ICW from Virginia to the Keys and hopefully the Bahamas with dive gear ready to go! Can't wait!

We have been fortunate enough to RE before 50 so like you, we wanted to prioritize travel (also prefer tropical dive destinations and nature). Over the last two years, we spent a total of 7 months in Australia. It was not enough time to see and do it all, but definitely amazing. Diving was not my favorite.....Ningaloo was awesome but the rest was ok....too cold, poor dive ops and very expensive compared to other dive destinations.

We also spent time traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia (Angkor Wat was amazing) and the Philippines (diving mostly). We only spent 12 nites in Indonesia....all aboard Calico Jack, an amazing Liveaboard ...we did Raja Ampat... here's a quick video of our trip.

https://vimeo.com/212475401

How was your Philippines dive trip? Liveaboard or land based? Your bucket list sounds a lot like ours!

... We only spent 12 nites in Indonesia....all aboard Calico Jack, an amazing Liveaboard ...we did Raja Ampat... ...

We so wanted to include Raja Ampat on next year's trip, but the logistics didn't really work out. DW is a devoted macro photo person, so we will be doing it--just on another multi-month trip.

Thanks for Calico Jack reference--that hadn't made it onto our planning lists. :)

We don't really have a bucket list, as we can't even narrow it down to "warm and sunny"! More like "encyclopedia of potential journeys of exploration," which is the primary reason we planned for [relatively] early retirement.

[How was your Philippines dive trip? Liveaboard or land based? Your bucket list sounds a lot like ours![/QUOTE]

We've done both. There are expensive liveaboard s in the Philippines, similar to the rest of the world, but they also have Safaris....large outrigger boats that have basic accommodations but stop at different islands at night where you stay at mid-range hotels....a great way to island hop and dive 3-4 times a day. Last year, we also spent a week at one resort and do 3 dives a day....easy relaxing dives! PM if you'd like more info....scubaboard is also a great resource f you are not familiar with it.

Back
Top Bottom