Travel bucket list - top 5?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH & I love to travel and recently RE'd. We're in good health, ages 56 & 58. There are many places we'd like to see and spend time in, and want to prioritize the destinations that are more challenging for older folks while we're still relatively young. We've already been to most of the countries in Western Europe. We are both SCUBA divers and love tropical destinations. We like nature and scenery better than touring urban destinations, although we do enjoy good museums and interesting cities.

What destinations would you suggest we put on our bucket list for the next 5-10 years?

If your definition of enjoying nature includes hiking I would suggest a few classics that are very doable at your age. The Camino de Santiago can be as short or as long as you wish and can be lightened with luggage transfers if you only care to wear a day pack. I just finished Hadrian's Wall in England (85 miles) doing baggage transfers and staying at B&Bs every 10 miles. A more challenging and highly rewarding trek is Mt. Kilimanjaro which can be combined with a safari across the Serengeti. Although I can no longer carry a full pack, my son and I retraced the Klondike Gold Rush by hiking the Chilkoot Trail from just outside of Skagway into Canada. Also, an overnight stay at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon makes for a memorable hike.

I did hike 1/2 way (really walk) down the Grand Canyon, was on a tour, so could not go all the way and overnight at the bottom, but that would be fantastic, then hike back up.

Rafting trip down the colorado river seems like fun, you camp along the way, don't know if have to take a tour or not.

Galapagos island is something we want to do, you can stay on the island, so I imagine you can scuba dive as well.

My bucket list is to see the Grand Canyon in person. I did last year considering it was within driving range to me. Hiking down the Grand Canyon? Forget about it. I need to stay alive for my next item on my bucket list.

Last edited:
My mother went to Israel, she went up the Masada she saw a Bar Mitzvah(we are not Jewish) she said it was her best trip ever, it was done at night, she had to walk up some mountain,she said the whole thing was magical.

I like to see Israel and Istanbul but I'm not sure I will. I wish I was smart enough to volunteer for the business trip to Israel when I was working for one company that's doing business with an Israel company. To be swimming in the Dead Sea or floating there would be cool.
For Istanbul, my husband grew up there between 4-10, his father was working there at the U.K. Embassy. They only came back to U.K. for his schooling. So he would like to go back, it's part of his childhood. So we will see.

Last edited:
I've been fortunate to knock a lot of travel destinations off my list during my career. Right now my top 5 list is: the Pyramids/Valley of the Kings, Hong-Kong/Bejing, African Safari, Bhutan, and Scandinavia/Northern Lights. Domestically, its Alaska, the Tetons and Yellowstone. (I also have this weird fantasy of going into the High Sierras with horses to camp and fish for Trout since I can't hike it anymore. It's hard to describe the glorious solitude.)

Bucket list travel can be very personal and not everyone likes the same kind of travel. My favorite bucket list places to travel have been the Taj Mahal, Rome and Moscow. The degree of difficulty to get to each of these places varies widely. My favorite surprises have been Tokyo and Bangkok. Neither were on my list until I travelled there. My favorite bucket list getaway is a tiny place called Lord Howe Island (look it up), but I have yet to try Tahiti or Bali.

I lived in AZ, so the Grand Canyon was a field trip, but definitely a can't miss. I've hiked down and back a couple of times and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There's a longer gradual trail (Bright Angel) and a shorter steeper trail (Kaibab) - I think it's 11 vs. 7 miles. It's worth doing both. If you can stay at the Phantom Ranch, it's an incredible experience.

Last edited:
Thailand, Vietnam, Australia may interest you.

We did a short notice trip to Thailand a few years ago. Liked it so much we returned for three successive winters. Made our way thought Malaysia and down to Australia/NZ. Lots of diving opportunities

South Africa was on DW's list. It was one of our first after retirement. We plan to go back soon.

Greece/Turkey and Croatia/Italy is our go to place in late summer early fall. Lots of diving.

Our current list is Philippines, South Africa/Kenya, and for me the train journey from Beijing to St. Petersburg. Philippines this winter, not certain about the others.

The Great Barrier Reef is wonderful for scuba diving, plus there are rain forests close by for excellent walking and hiking.

Australia is tops for me! There are wonderful hikes in the rainforests of Tasmania and along the Great Ocean Road. The Great Barrier Reef is not to be missed and there are lovely rainforests nearby. There is an area in the west called The Kimberley which I did not visit, but hope to some day. It is remote, travel is sometimes difficult there, and the scenery is spectacular. I am on an email list and receive information regularly which is very enticing. Then, there is not-to-be missed Uluru and Kata Tijuta in the center of the country. I also like Kakadu National Park near Darwin. The people are friendly and super helpful. One could spend three or four months down under!

I lived in AZ, so the Grand Canyon was a field trip, but definitely a can't miss. I've hiked down and back a couple of times and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There's a longer gradual trail (Bright Angel) and a shorter steeper trail (Kaibab) - I think it's 11 vs. 7 miles. It's worth doing both. If you can stay at the Phantom Ranch, it's an incredible experience.

Definitely recommend. Did this with some friends several years ago. Down the Kaibab, back up Bright Angel. it was about 15 miles as I recall. Not sure I would try it in one day again. Would have to train. And not something to try in summer, we did it in springtime.

Next year we are doing south pacific scuba oriented trip that we have high hopes for. 1. begin with 10 day trip on the Naia liveaboard in Fiji; 2. end with Naia in Tonga with the Humpbacks, although that will be snorkel focused with non-whale diving on the side. 3. Solomon Islands (mainly Marovo Lagoon) to partially fill in the middle--much easier to get there from Fiji than from US and the reviews seem very strong.

We've dove the GBR far too many years ago and it was great--but the [extremely experienced] Kiwis we dove with in Fiji several years ago put those reefs above the GBR.

E.T.A.--our Scuba bucket list also includes Cocos, Galapagos, Indonesia for several months, Philippines, maybe Palau (not liking trend over past several years...), and many more.

Last edited:
Galapagos island is something we want to do, you can stay on the island, so I imagine you can scuba dive as well.

You might want to do a bit of reading on that. The Galapagos national park is actually a great many islands, not one. There are a few places you can get a room (Puerto Ayora would be the biggest one), but you can't actually go anywhere unless you're with a licensed naturalist guide. Plenty of tour operators and scuba outfits though.

Colombia has magnificent scenery, many national parks, some interesting cities, and it is now fairly safe. Costa Rica is a small country known for its natural beauty and national parks. Sri Lanka offers a lot to see in a relatively compact country, and it's easy to get around in English. The hassle factor is far lower than in India. If you haven't spent time in the Hawaiian islands, they're gorgeous and quite varied. My own favorite is Kauai. Chile & Argentina have beautiful scenery in the Lake region in northern Patagonia, with volcanoes and lakes. Torres del Paine NP in southern Patagonia looks magnificent, though I haven't been there myself. New Zealand has lots of beautiful scenery in a relatively small area. I liked the scenery in Tasmania a lot. I was underwhelmed with the scenery in mainland Australia but I liked Sydney & Melbourne. I did not visit Queensland.

Parts of Mexico are great. A monarch butterfly reserve I saw one winter was amazing. The cloud forest in the mountains of Oaxaca was great for hiking, and the city of Oaxaca is wonderful. Some of the desert scenery I've seen in Mexico is gorgeous, too. Last year I visited an amazing place called Las Pozas, a surrealistic sculpture garden set in a lush tropical forest. The colonial cities of Guanajuato and Queretaro are other favorite towns of mine in Mexico. Mexico City is a world-class city with some outstanding museums.

I've been fortunate to knock a lot of travel destinations off my list during my career. Right now my top 5 list is: the Pyramids/Valley of the Kings, Hong-Kong/Bejing, African Safari, Bhutan, and Scandinavia/Northern Lights. Domestically, its Alaska, the Tetons and Yellowstone.

Between my career and hiking habit, I'm well-traveled within the USA and Canada and can recommend the Tetons and Alaska from my own visits. Overseas, not so much.

My overseas bucket list includes Australia and New Zealand, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, France, and an Asian country that keeps changing in my mind. It's been Japan, China, Vietnam, and recently South Korea.

If I were into Scuba diving, I might try Seychelles, Maldives. I like the sound of the names.

I traveled the U.S. extensively when working. I've missed Montana, Idaho and Utah--and long to see those mountains.

I've been traveling to Europe 46 years, and Ireland is the only place we've missed. We're big on visiting Budapest and Central Europe in the future--and the old Yugoslavia countries. The Baltics and the Greek Isles/Turkey were also trips of a lifetime the last 2 years.

But it looks as if we're going to have to raise a 6 year girl in our retirement, and our vacations will be scheduled around school schedules. She will be a very well traveled child, however.

Next up should be New Zealand and the east coast of Australia--with a side trip to Hawaii coming and going.

My bucket list is to see the Grand Canyon in person. I did last year considering it was within driving range to me. Hiking down the Grand Canyon? Forget about it. I need to stay alive for my next item on my bucket list.

[emoji23]

Next year we are doing south pacific scuba oriented trip that we have high hopes for. 1. begin with 10 day trip on the Naia liveaboard in Fiji; 2. end with Naia in Tonga with the Humpbacks, although that will be snorkel focused with non-whale diving on the side. 3. Solomon Islands (mainly Marovo Lagoon) to partially fill in the middle--much easier to get there from Fiji than from US and the reviews seem very strong.

We've dove the GBR far too many years ago and it was great--but the [extremely experienced] Kiwis we dove with in Fiji several years ago put those reefs above the GBR.

E.T.A.--our Scuba bucket list also includes Cocos, Galapagos, Indonesia for several months, Philippines, maybe Palau (not liking trend over past several years...), and many more.

Wow! Sounds like you've done some great dive trips. We did 2 weeks on Ocean Hunter III, a Palau liveaboard, and highly recommend the diving. Thousands and thousands of fish, great manta ray and shark dives. Also spent a few days on land and did a fun all-day kayak excursion. Loved Palau!

PS - we did Gangga Island Resort in Indonesia for 2 weeks in 2013. Nice diving, would like to also try Raja Amphat.

Colombia has magnificent scenery, many national parks, some interesting cities, and it is now fairly safe. Costa Rica is a small country known for its natural beauty and national parks. Sri Lanka offers a lot to see in a relatively compact country, and it's easy to get around in English. The hassle factor is far lower than in India. If you haven't spent time in the Hawaiian islands, they're gorgeous and quite varied. My own favorite is Kauai. Chile & Argentina have beautiful scenery in the Lake region in northern Patagonia, with volcanoes and lakes. Torres del Paine NP in southern Patagonia looks magnificent, though I haven't been there myself. New Zealand has lots of beautiful scenery in a relatively small area. I liked the scenery in Tasmania a lot. I was underwhelmed with the scenery in mainland Australia but I liked Sydney & Melbourne. I did not visit Queensland.

Parts of Mexico are great. A monarch butterfly reserve I saw one winter was amazing. The cloud forest in the mountains of Oaxaca was great for hiking, and the city of Oaxaca is wonderful. Some of the desert scenery I've seen in Mexico is gorgeous, too. Last year I visited an amazing place called Las Pozas, a surrealistic sculpture garden set in a lush tropical forest. The colonial cities of Guanajuato and Queretaro are other favorite towns of mine in Mexico. Mexico City is a world-class city with some outstanding museums.

Agree re Kauai, Costa Rica & Queretaro. Never been to South America but would like to go. Would also like to go to Sri Lanka. They have volunteer trips to assist with sea turtles... my idea of a dream trip!

If I were into Scuba diving, I might try Seychelles, Maldives. I like the sound of the names.

Maldives was my fantasy trip. I say was because it's a very difficult journey from CA and it's hard to decide when and where to go, so we just haven't done it yet. Pictures of Seychelles & Maldives are beautiful!

Hawaii - it's gorgeous. I'm a former scuba diver but the snorkeling was great. Gotta believe the diving is better. And when you're on land it's just awe inspiring.

Italy - if that is not one of the European countries you've gone to, then this is a must-see. I have no idea if the diving is any good, but wow did I love visiting Rome/Florence/Venice.

Back
Top Bottom