Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 2021 travel budget is going to be HUGE! The only thing bigger will be my 2022 travel budget if we don't get a vaccine or safe, easy treatment by 2021.

I noticed that Rick Steves just cancelled all his remaining tours for 2020. Not much he could do given that we Americans are not allowed in at the moment. I hope the shop keepers can survive on stingy Germans, fussy Frenchmen, empire worshiping Brits, overly pleasant Canadians, argumentative Italians and indifferent Swedes.

Trust me. By 2021 they will be worshiping we excitable, spendthrift Americans.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

We don't budget money, but we do budget time for travel. We spend about $20k ~ $30k on travel and other leisure activities each year. But I really don't know how much we did spend. We usually do 2 to 3 overseas travels each year.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My 2021 travel budget is going to be HUGE! The only thing bigger will be my 2022 travel budget if we don't get a vaccine or safe, easy treatment by 2021.

I noticed that Rick Steves just cancelled all his remaining tours for 2020. Not much he could do given that we Americans are not allowed in at the moment. I hope the shop keepers can survive on stingy Germans, fussy Frenchmen, empire worshiping Brits, overly pleasant Canadians, argumentative Italians and indifferent Swedes.

Trust me. By 2021 they will be worshiping we excitable, spendthrift Americans.
I am sure that they will survive just fine.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

We always have a approximate idea on what a trip will cost. No big deal if we go over.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Same thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I'm not concerned about leaving inheritance. My current greatest fear is that I have health issues that prevent me from diving and seeing the world with my wife!
Similar. We tell our daughter that we expect her to earn her keep and always talk about leaving her our "two cents." When we're gone, she'll have 2 houses in the Bay Area. Whatever on top of that will be gravy (we're pretty cheap, so unless LTC eats all of it, there will be something for her).

The funny thing is that we never keep track of how much we spend on vacations, but our daughter said she'd put together an itinerary for us and suggested that we keep track because when she traveled w/her friends in college for spring break or 3-day weekends, she kept track. We didn't really learn anything new, but it was fun to do. I mean, $3K a trip is a lot of money for us (within the North America), so usually I'm not that concerned that we go crazy
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Although we do not have travel budgets our travel priority plans are influenced by price and value.

We combine a fair amount of last minute specials. Hotels, air, cruises. We also consider currency. Delaying a South African land trip by a year saved us 15 percent simply because of currency fluctuations. Does not sound like a lot but this can add up when you are out for 8 or 9 weeks. Same for travel to the UK and Europe. Currency is not a determinant by itself but we certainly consider it. We travel fairly often. We want to obtain the best value (not necessarily price) we can whether it is five or six start resorts, cruises, or B&B's
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-and-ski View Post
Are any of you willing to share your travel budgets? Here are a couple of our more expensive ones.

$13K CAD (about $10K US), Scotland, 2 people, 2017, 3.5 weeks, staying in cheaper hotels in the expensive places (Edinburgh), and the better (but not best) hotels in rural cheaper places. A lot of rural driving. Reasonably priced rental car. Eating well. Includes $2K airfare. So, about CAD $400/day! That was an expensive trip for us.

$10K CAD to Southeast Asia in 2016, 3.5 weeks again, 2 people plus we subsidized some of our adult children's expenses, included some very nice hotels in some places (e.g. Cambodia), some custom clothing and gifts, travel medical, dog care back at home.

Lately we've been doing some home exchanges as the cost of the hotels I want to stay in is too expensive, especially if we want to travel for longer periods of time in retirement.
Our 2 month foreign vacations usually cost between 10 to 12K.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Have budgeted $30K / year ---- Hopefully Scotland/Ireland and possibly Austria/Switzerland. Hopes that I can do those next year (were this year). 2022 - New Zealand/Australia and then Canada. After that, Japan and then Italy. Beyond these not sure yet. COVID has impacted some of our income / dividends but still sufficiently funded to maintain travel aspirations providing the world is opened up again and safe. Last year did Australia (Cairns and Blue Mountains Wine Country) and glad I did given outstanding exchange rate and before all of the wildfires. Memorable and worth every cent. Think the same for future trips in that I will always pay attention to exchange rates for best timing my crystal ball can come up with.
swabby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

We RV and have covered most US states and a lot of Canada very comfortably. We have been spending winters in the south US and summers in the north since retirement. Most of our RV sites cost between $75-$150 per night, with discounts generally applied for stays >week or >month. Diesel fuel used to be quite an expense (the big RVs only get 7-9 mpg), but that has certainly become more affordable. We did just buy a pad in the NC mountains, which is a convenient and well-loved location for us. We both did enough international travel before we retired that we aren’t very interested in it any longer.
RVplusDog is offline   Reply With Quote
THANKS for sharing!
Old 07-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

THANKS for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We don't budget, just want a pretty fair idea of what things cost us.
Travel is our thing now & we plan to continue when we retire either next summer or the one after.

I appreciate your first list--I am always looking to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make. Not frugal as much as best value. (ie. Sometimes we might cruise an interior cabin; other times we may take a balcony because of perks thrown in)

You are my retirement travel mentor!
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Travel is our thing now & we plan to continue when we retire either next summer or the one after.

I appreciate your first list--I am always looking to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make. Not frugal as much as best value. (ie. Sometimes we might cruise an interior cabin; other times we may take a balcony because of perks thrown in)

You are my retirement travel mentor!
We, (my supervisor & I), are honored!

We are 'frugal', but that's perhaps mainly a reflection of having minimal 'wants', (one of the meals we still talk about, years later, was a 1€ Caldo verde lunch at a stand up bakery in Porto).

With accommodation we prefer to have our own bathroom, although for a duration of a night or two we have stayed at hostels.

Airbnb has, (Covid aside), become our go to site......rough rule of thumb, we choose not necessarily the most inexpensive offering but rather one of the lowest priced, (give or take a couple bucks/night), that we think, (usually successfully), that we'll be comfortable in.........we always read the reviews.

This often results in us temporarily 'living' in back alleys in older parts of town....we love it!

(I recall, on a stay in Paris, we e-mailed friends a link to a unit we'd chosen.....she came back and said she had found one much nicer......and it was......it was also about 10 times the cost! "Oh, I didn't look at the price", she said!)

So, no hotels, no restaurants, no tours, no guides......trains, buses (local & intercity); our most memorable experiences have been traveling with the hoi polloi...of which we are most definitely two of!

"Happy Trails"! (Next stop for us, Inshallah, will be Ukraine, parts of Poland and northern Romania.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We are 'frugal', but that's perhaps mainly a reflection of having minimal 'wants', (one of the meals we still talk about, years later, was a 1€ Caldo verde lunch at a stand up bakery in Porto).

With accommodation we prefer to have our own bathroom, although for a duration of a night or two we have stayed at hostels.

Airbnb has, (Covid aside), become our go to site......rough rule of thumb, we choose not necessarily the most inexpensive offering but rather one of the lowest priced, (give or take a couple bucks/night), that we think, (usually successfully), that we'll be comfortable in.........we always read the reviews.

This often results in us temporarily 'living' in back alleys in older parts of town....we love it!

(I recall, on a stay in Paris, we e-mailed friends a link to a unit we'd chosen.....she came back and said she had found one much nicer......and it was......it was also about 10 times the cost! "Oh, I didn't look at the price", she said!)

So, no hotels, no restaurants, no tours, no guides......trains, buses (local & intercity); our most memorable experiences have been traveling with the hoi polloi...of which we are most definitely two of!

"Happy Trails"! (Next stop for us, Inshallah, will be Ukraine, parts of Poland and northern Romania.)
I was looking at AirBNB for Barcelona this summer (our cancelled Med cruise for DD's college graduation). Found a great one--then determined it was on the 5th floor with no elevator...and this was the day before embarkation...and DM75 was going!
Found we could use our IHG anniversary night/points to get a nice hotel in the center of town. (I have been manipulating credit card bonuses for years as our 2 oldest did college visits & eventually went to college--and now live--out of state).

Safety is the biggest issue for accommodations; I do not think I can convince DH to share a bathroom with strangers...

We have cruised for years & haven't taken a cruise excursion since our first couple cruises, instead preferring to do my own research & planning (most places, anyway). I had been doing the same for our Med cruise. Researching is half the fun!

We do like restaurants but we r pretty cheap...bring breakfast bars, grab fast food. I went to France in HS--we bought many meals at stores that were DIVINE. Other parts of the world seem more conducive to that.

Loving this thread. I literally copied & pasted people's notations as incentive for our own future travel.

10 states left to hit in the US. (ND is gonna be a struggle to find a reason...)
Then my goal is nearly every country in the world (we will avoid those not safe ones...). DH would prefer to do Vegas & cruise the Caribbean (oh and Hawaii) forever...but he balked at cruising & Hawaii initially (WHO DOESN'T WANT TO GO TO HAWAII??!!) Yep, he loves them. So I've learned he just needs a shove...and he is always a good sport.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it was on the 5th floor with no elevator...and this was the day before embarkation...and DM75 was going!
75? A Spring chicken...I'll be 78 in two months, and we search out towers to climb in small towns.

Quote:
Safety is the biggest issue for accommodations; I do not think I can convince DH to share a bathroom with strangers...
We try and avoid being in the bathrooms at the same time the others are.

Quote:
We do like restaurants but we r pretty cheap...bring breakfast bars, grab fast food. I went to France in HS--we bought many meals at stores that were DIVINE. Other parts of the world seem more conducive to that.
First morning in Israel, 1982, noticed a woman at the breakfast buffet shoveling stuff into her purse, (boiled eggs, etc)....turned out it was common practice.

Quote:
Then my goal is nearly every country in the world (we will avoid those not safe ones...).
Guess I shouldn't repeat my story about being detained at gunpoint in Iraq, or riding on the roof of a swaying Turkish truck going through the mountains at night, with one of my arms jammed under the ropes holding the load so I didn't slide off?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:14 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
75? A Spring chicken...I'll be 78 in two months, and we search out towers to climb in small towns.

Guess I shouldn't repeat my story about being detained at gunpoint in Iraq, or riding on the roof of a swaying Turkish truck going through the mountains at night, with one of my arms jammed under the ropes holding the load so I didn't slide off?
LOL--she wouldn't have minded the 5 flights; it was with LUGGAGE she was worried about (honestly we were wondering if there was a place on the ground floor we could leave it safely!!)
She's a pretty spry 75. She is an RN & was working until just a couple years ago!

Yeah, being detained at gunpoint is NOT on my bucket list!
Old 07-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, being detained at gunpoint is NOT on my bucket list!
It wasn't really on mine either.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

+1. I travel in a similar style to you. We often go with friends or another couple and therefore get a 2 or 3 bedroom Air BnB, usually near the downtown areas to avoid the need for a car. We usually did public transit including intercity buses, but we will need to see how this approach will play out in a COVID world. When we do book hotels, it is usually what the local middle class folks would book in that area, so no big chain hotels or resorts. As an example, in Cajamarca Peru, I stayed in a hotel two blocks from the main square for $25 US per night. Not fancy, but comfortable and very handy for everything that we needed to see in town or in the Andean countryside.

For meals, we will usually eat one meal per day in a local restaurant (again not fancy, but it gives us a chance to test out the local cuisine) and then have another meal in our Air BnB. This leaves us money for tours and other extravagances.

This keeps travel costs to less than $150 CDN per day when I am in South America on my own and up to $350 to 400 per day in more expensive places in Europe including air fares, local travel and gifts when the two of us travel. So, we are able to keep a month long trip under $10 K CDN.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not a shared bathroom, but here's a link from before you joined:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ugh-80701.html Post #18

Old 07-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
(ND is gonna be a struggle to find a reason...)
We've hit all 50 states and almost 50 National Parks.

Great memories of a month on the road that went from midwest to RMNP, Yellowstone, Glacier, and Teddy Roosevelt NPs, then back home (add in some national forests, state parks, etc.). I believe we drove about 4K miles. Aside from the NPs, we stopped in a few small towns and had good meals at Mom & Pop restaurants.

You could also add in some stops in SD. The western part of the state has some great mountain areas.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

My travel budget is $30K per year. I have yet to spend it.

2018: 10 weeks in Barcelona, 1 week Chicago; 1 week Cambridge UK; 1 week New Orleans. Prepaid lodging for 2019 Edinburgh trip. Total Spend $19880

2019: 1 week hiking Hadrians Wall; 1 month Paris; 1 month Edinburgh; 2 weeks Prague; 1 week Venice; 2 weeks London; 1 week New Orleans. Total Spend $13000

2020: 3 weeks Egypt (canceled/ refunded); 1 month Edinburgh (canceled with Airbnb credits; 1 month Buenos Aires (canceled/ refunded). Net Spend: $5500 (2021 Airbnb credit)
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2016 - $35k for 35 day trip throughout Europe for my wife and daughter. I popped over for 10 days. I asked my wife to write a book on how to scrimp by on $1,000 a day in Europe.

2017 - $33k. 4 of us went to a private island in the Bahamas for 10 days.

2019 - $67k. 2 weeks in Africa for 2.

We are budgeting $25k a year for retirement.