Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
This (below) doesn't sound like what we dealt with, as we were 'hit' on our bare legs mostly, and it was 'instant'... not between our suits and skin nor 4-6 hrs later as is common with sea lice.
Good reason to go skinny dipping
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
For those who went to Costa Rica:

1) Did you rent a car or use a tour bus for getting around?

2) What would be your "must do's" if you had about 7 to 10 days for vacation?

3) Any lodging you would highly recommend?
1) Rented a car. Talked to people that did long-distance public transport, and they were not too happy with it. The roads I drove varied from ok to nearly impassable. If you go out on the Nicoya Peninsula, the roads are horrific with huge pot holes if paved and really bumpy if gravel. If you rent, get a big 4 wheel drive truck. Around Arenal and La Fortuna back to San Jose, the roads are fine, even for a small car.
2) I went to surf, but also hiked volcanoes. I can't answer "must see", but their waves and surf temperature on the Pacific are good any time of year.
3) Maybe find a place that caters to what you want to do. Once place was high-class but had cheap rooms. They had tours you could buy from them (where they probably made-up for the cheap rooms). Another place included room, two meals a day, and surfing lessons.

Quote:
I've wondered what caused our painful bites/stings? I looked for signs/evidence of jelly fish, man-o-wars, small fish and could see nothing.
Stinging hydroid maybe?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One hotel that we would highly recommend is the Marriott Hotel San Jose. It is a beautiful hotel on an old estate. It is in Belem, fairly close to the airport.

We have stayed there twice prior to our flights. We were there this past March....it is as good as ever.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has anyone been to Costa Rica since Hurricane Nate? I'm wondering what the conditions there are as a friend of mine is currently spending 6 months in Nicaragua (just north of Cost Rica). She said there had been quite a lot of damage from Nate. Here's one item I found on a quick google search Voices of Nate: Five first-hand accounts of Costa Rica’s devastating storm – The Tico Times | Costa Rica News | Travel | Real Estate

Being less well-off economically, it may be a while before things in Central America are restored to 'normal'. Anyone thinking of traveling there may want to do a bit more research, fwiw.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #45

Thanks so much for that insight omni.

I was having second thoughts (even before your post) about going to Costa Rica or anywhere that requires planning or extensive travel. I'm just so tired with my new job this fall that I'm not feeling inspired to do anything but just sit on my butt and vegetate for my birthday, lol!!!

Keeping an eye on last minute simple cruises since that would be a major easy button, not too expensive, and definitely would be a good place to "vegetate", lol!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks so much for that insight omni.

I was having second thoughts (even before your post) about going to Costa Rica or anywhere that requires planning or extensive travel. I'm just so tired with my new job this fall that I'm not feeling inspired to do anything but just sit on my butt and vegetate for my birthday, lol!!!

Keeping an eye on last minute simple cruises since that would be a major easy button, not too expensive, and definitely would be a good place to "vegetate", lol!
If you're a bit flexible on timing, you might be able to avail yourselves of last-minute cruises out of Tampa, Fort Lauderdale (aka Port Everglades), or Miami. I've never tried a last-minute cruise, but I've heard they can be quite a deal...and without needing to arrange flights and accommodations before and after, you're in a perfect position to take advantage, especially if you're not set on an itinerary. Might be worth a look.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Tampa has some decent cruises scheduled in January . I love going out of Tampa absolutely stress free .Plus you could always start the party at Ybor city the night before .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #48

Quote:
If you're a bit flexible on timing, you might be able to avail yourselves of last-minute cruises out of Tampa, Fort Lauderdale (aka Port Everglades), or Miami. I've never tried a last-minute cruise, but I've heard they can be quite a deal...and without needing to arrange flights and accommodations before and after, you're in a perfect position to take advantage, especially if you're not set on an itinerary. Might be worth a look.

omni
Thanks, that's exactly my plan! I am watching them on vacationstogo.com. They have a 90 day last minute search feature which I have used with great success in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Tampa has some decent cruises scheduled in January . I love going out of Tampa absolutely stress free .Plus you could always start the party at Ybor city the night before .
Thank you! Love the idea of checking out Ybor city the night before - have heard it is a very cool area. Great idea!

Old 10-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #49

Have you signed up for emails from the cruise lines? I've been getting a ton of "drop & go" emails from Princess lately with some really low prices for Caribbean itineraries and Panama Canal partial transits in January.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Have you signed up for emails from the cruise lines? I've been getting a ton of "drop & go" emails from Princess lately with some really low prices for Caribbean itineraries and Panama Canal partial transits in January.
Have not, but will check it out - thanks!

Old 10-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

There's been some cheap fares to Australia and New Zealand. We are headed to Tasmania in February, flying thru Melbourne. Lots of hiking, wildlife, beach walking, wineries. It may still be hot in January unless you head to the mountains. It was on our bucket list when we lived in Australia but we didn't make it to the down under down under. I was pleased with the cheap fares, but it is a loooong way, but we will spend 3 weeks.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have vacationed in the southern countries of South America a number of times. We have visited Chile twice (first time in 2011 and were caught in the 8.9 earthquake!) It is easy to drive, with good food and wonderful wine. Santiago is a vibrant and fun city. The Chileanos are wonderful folks.

We visited Uruguay twice, first a day trip from Buenos Aires to Colonia, and then 3 -4 days in Montevideo a few years back.

My wife's favorite is Argentina. We spent two weeks in 2004 and visited BA, Mendoza and the Andes, and the falls at Iguazu. She wants to go back and rent an apartment for 3 weeks to live the life of a "portero" (BA resident). BA feels very European and cosmopolitan.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We very much liked Melbourne. IF you have time, continue on and up the Great Ocean Road. It is beautiful.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #54

Didn't read this whole thread so maybe it was mentioned, but in Costa Rica we stayed in Puerto Viejo. It's on the east coast. We rented a house on the ocean, very inexpensive for ocean front. PV is very laid back little town. We rented bikes for the week, didn't need a car.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
Old 10-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #55

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Didn't read this whole thread so maybe it was mentioned, but in Costa Rica we stayed in Puerto Viejo. It's on the east coast. We rented a house on the ocean, very inexpensive for ocean front. PV is very laid back little town. We rented bikes for the week, didn't need a car.
I've been looking at this area, really anywhere south of Limon, but haven't actually made it yet.

How did you get to/from town without a car?
  • Public bus, privat transfer, other?
  • In and out from San José, Bocas del Toro, other?

I know I would appreciate anything else you have to share on this destination; and, I'm assuming others on this thread might as well.

Thank you.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #56

Quote:
For those who went to Costa Rica:

1) Did you rent a car or use a tour bus for getting around? I have been reading everywhere that you really shouldn't rent a car as the roads can be in bad shape and unpredictable. I read that regular public transpo (buses) are less expensive than tour buses, but they are less direct and may take much longer.

2) What would be your "must do's" if you had about 7 to 10 days for vacation?

3) Any lodging you would highly recommend?

I am intermittently researching but have limited time due to a new part-time job I took turning out to be nearly full-time (eeeks!). I may just go to AAA and see what they have to offer. Typically I plan these things myself but I don't think I can pull that off this time!
We rented a car both times. I'd suggest visiting Arenal (volcano/hot springs), Monte Verde rain forest, and the beaches on the west coast (either down by Manuel Antonio or further north up the coast in Guanacaste). On a different trip, we went to Tortuguero on the east coast, which was amazing.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #57

Also, we are starting to plan New Zealand for January 2019, which is two months before my 50th....
Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #58

Limited $177 UAL nonstop tickets LA to Singapore to LA next month. It's not in January but hey, I'm retired
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Limited $177 UAL nonstop tickets LA to Singapore to LA next month. It's not in January but hey, I'm retired
I found this post a bit misleading: $177 is just the LA to SIN leg, not the round trip price.

Note: The $177 is only available if purchasing a round trip ticket and is already sold out for most, possibly all, dates.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hello!

This January I turn 50...I'd like to go somewhere interesting for this big one. I want the temps to be comfortable in the 60's -70's.

Hubby and I love hiking and outdoor adventures. We also love seeing historic places. Unusual places are cool...however...although I like adventure, I do have my limits! So somewhere in between...

I don't want to just go sit on an island. I want to see interesting things.

I'm looking for inspiration! Please share any ideas you have! Tx!
So first... Happy Birthday! And second, what did you end up doing?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote