travel destinations in January w/temps in 60's/70's & interesting adventures

There's been some cheap fares to Australia and New Zealand. We are headed to Tasmania in February, flying thru Melbourne. Lots of hiking, wildlife, beach walking, wineries. It may still be hot in January unless you head to the mountains. It was on our bucket list when we lived in Australia but we didn't make it to the down under down under. I was pleased with the cheap fares, but it is a loooong way, but we will spend 3 weeks.

My wife and I have vacationed in the southern countries of South America a number of times. We have visited Chile twice (first time in 2011 and were caught in the 8.9 earthquake!) It is easy to drive, with good food and wonderful wine. Santiago is a vibrant and fun city. The Chileanos are wonderful folks.

We visited Uruguay twice, first a day trip from Buenos Aires to Colonia, and then 3 -4 days in Montevideo a few years back.

My wife's favorite is Argentina. We spent two weeks in 2004 and visited BA, Mendoza and the Andes, and the falls at Iguazu. She wants to go back and rent an apartment for 3 weeks to live the life of a "portero" (BA resident). BA feels very European and cosmopolitan.

We very much liked Melbourne. IF you have time, continue on and up the Great Ocean Road. It is beautiful.

Didn't read this whole thread so maybe it was mentioned, but in Costa Rica we stayed in Puerto Viejo. It's on the east coast. We rented a house on the ocean, very inexpensive for ocean front. PV is very laid back little town. We rented bikes for the week, didn't need a car.

Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Didn't read this whole thread so maybe it was mentioned, but in Costa Rica we stayed in Puerto Viejo. It's on the east coast. We rented a house on the ocean, very inexpensive for ocean front. PV is very laid back little town. We rented bikes for the week, didn't need a car.

I've been looking at this area, really anywhere south of Limon, but haven't actually made it yet.

How did you get to/from town without a car?
  • Public bus, privat transfer, other?
  • In and out from San José, Bocas del Toro, other?

I know I would appreciate anything else you have to share on this destination; and, I'm assuming others on this thread might as well.

Thank you.

For those who went to Costa Rica:

1) Did you rent a car or use a tour bus for getting around? I have been reading everywhere that you really shouldn't rent a car as the roads can be in bad shape and unpredictable. I read that regular public transpo (buses) are less expensive than tour buses, but they are less direct and may take much longer.

2) What would be your "must do's" if you had about 7 to 10 days for vacation?

3) Any lodging you would highly recommend?

I am intermittently researching but have limited time due to a new part-time job I took turning out to be nearly full-time (eeeks!). I may just go to AAA and see what they have to offer. Typically I plan these things myself but I don't think I can pull that off this time!

We rented a car both times. I'd suggest visiting Arenal (volcano/hot springs), Monte Verde rain forest, and the beaches on the west coast (either down by Manuel Antonio or further north up the coast in Guanacaste). On a different trip, we went to Tortuguero on the east coast, which was amazing.

Also, we are starting to plan New Zealand for January 2019, which is two months before my 50th....

Limited $177 UAL nonstop tickets LA to Singapore to LA next month. It's not in January but hey, I'm retired ;)

Last edited:
Limited $177 UAL nonstop tickets LA to Singapore to LA next month. It's not in January but hey, I'm retired ;)

I found this post a bit misleading: $177 is just the LA to SIN leg, not the round trip price.

Note: The $177 is only available if purchasing a round trip ticket and is already sold out for most, possibly all, dates.

Hello!

This January I turn 50...I'd like to go somewhere interesting for this big one. I want the temps to be comfortable in the 60's -70's.

Hubby and I love hiking and outdoor adventures. We also love seeing historic places. Unusual places are cool...however...although I like adventure, I do have my limits! So somewhere in between...

I don't want to just go sit on an island. I want to see interesting things.

I'm looking for inspiration! Please share any ideas you have! Tx!

So first... Happy Birthday! And second, what did you end up doing?

So first... Happy Birthday! And second, what did you end up doing?

Thank you so much!!! So kind of you to remember!

I decided to do a sort of "staycation" with my best friends and our spouses. One couple flew down from up north, just to be here for my birthday. The other couple lives here (and are one of the main reasons we chose to move here). We have all been best friends for 16 years now.

We spent a few nights here at home together enjoying the local area. We went to see the manatees at FPL (fun afternoon activity on a cold day here!) and also really enjoyed dinner at a local BYOB that is quite different (check out Puccini's if you get a chance! I assume you are down here now?)

We then traveled about an hour north and stayed in an oceanfront hotel on North Redington Beach for 3 nights. On my birthday my girlfriends whisked me away and treated me to a manicure and pedicure while we had mimosas, followed by a lovely lunch. While we were away the hubbies decorated our hotel room for my 50th. It was a lovely way to celebrate my 50th!

The next day it warmed up, and we had a wonderful day hanging out at the beach - drinks, laughs, walks, and horseshoes. Good times with best friends - you can't do better than that. :D

It was a simple getaway with best friends which was exactly what I needed after a very busy fall semester working my tail off!

Back
Top Bottom