travel destinations in January w/temps in 60's/70's & interesting adventures

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Hello!

This January I turn 50...I'd like to go somewhere interesting for this big one. I want the temps to be comfortable in the 60's -70's.

Hubby and I love hiking and outdoor adventures. We also love seeing historic places. Unusual places are cool...however...although I like adventure, I do have my limits! So somewhere in between...

I don't want to just go sit on an island. I want to see interesting things.

I'm looking for inspiration! Please share any ideas you have! Tx!

Hello!

This January I turn 50...I'd like to go somewhere interesting for this big one. I want the temps to be comfortable in the 60's -70's.

Hubby and I love hiking and outdoor adventures. We also love seeing historic places. Unusual places are cool...however...although I like adventure, I do have my limits! So somewhere in between...

May I suggest Madeira? It is a Portuguese island off the coast of Morocco. The temperature is almost always 63-73 degrees, winter or summer. It is a mountainous island, 15 miles by 30 miles, and 6000 feet high in the center. Funchal, the old capital city, has many interesting buildings, and there are other interesting sights (Have you ever seen an entire field of wild Calla Lillies?) and interesting activities (a street sleigh ride from Monte is not to be missed). Most importantly, there is a network of levadas which are irrigation canals that were cut along the contours of the mountains 500 years ago, to bring the water from the wetter north side of the island to the drier and sunnier south side. Along each levada is a footpath. They are for the purpose of allowing access up and down the levada to permit workers to remove debris to keep the water flowing, but they also make magnificent walking paths over all parts of the island. A few of them have quaint English tea houses along them for hikers to stop and have a spot of tea. All of them are scenic. I recommend staying in the Reid's Palace Hotel, which is far and away the best accommodation on the island.

Here are some links to get you started

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira

Site oficial do Turismo da Madeira

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/portugal/madeira/belmond-reids-palace/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...os;geo=189166&detail=196072&aggregationId=101

Guide to Hiking in Madeira Island Levadas - WalkMe

Last edited:
Haven't been there, but how about Santiago, Chile:
30 Things To Do When Visiting Santiago, Chile - Santiago Tourist

For too many places January is either mid-winter or mid-summer....ergo, either hotter or colder than you're looking for.

(Oh, and 50 does not qualify as a 'big one'....it's more of an introduction to the final course. :LOL: )

May I suggest Madeira? It is a Portuguese island off the coast of Morocco. The temperature is almost always 63-73 degrees, winter or summer. It is a mountainous island, 15 miles by 30 miles, and 6000 feet high in the center. Funchal, the old capital city, has many interesting buildings, and there are other interesting sights (Have you ever seen an entire field of wild Calla Lillies?) and interesting activities (a street sleigh ride from Monte is not to be missed). Most importantly, there is a network of levadas which are irrigation canals that were cut along the contours of the mountains 500 years ago, to bring the water from the wetter north side of the island to the drier and sunnier south side. Along each levada is a footpath. They are for the purpose of allowing access up and down the levada to permit workers to remove debris to keep the water flowing, but they also make magnificent walking paths over all parts of the island. A few of them have quaint English tea houses along them for hikers to stop and have a spot of tea. All of them are scenic. I recommend staying in the Reid's Palace Hotel, which is far and away the best accommodation on the island.

Here are some links to get you started

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira

Site oficial do Turismo da Madeira

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/portugal/madeira/belmond-reids-palace/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...os;geo=189166&detail=196072&aggregationId=101

Guide to Hiking in Madeira Island Levadas - WalkMe

OH, this looks FABULOUS! Love the sleigh ride video! My husband just said that is his dream job!

Adding it to the potential list - thanks so much!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't been to Costa Rica, that would be my first suggestion for a beautiful and safe country, friendly people, plenty to see and do, etc.

Anywhere with a bit of elevation (NOT a beach location) should have the temperatures you want along with plenty of adventure: hiking, volcanoes, etc. It is also a relatively short flight from most of the USA.

Second vote for Costa Rica. Close, easy to get to. Wonderful beaches, interesting interior.

Thailand. Spent three winters there so far, going back again this year. Beaches, different culture, great food, interesting cities, hiking in the north.

Second vote for Costa Rica. Close, easy to get to. Wonderful beaches, interesting interior.

Thailand. Spent three winters there so far, going back again this year. Beaches, different culture, great food, interesting cities, hiking in the north.

Both places are warmer at that time of year on the beach but the breeze takes a fair bit of the heat away.

we also loved our trip to costa rica. drier and more tourists on the west coast, rainforests on the east coast. we spent 10 days traveling the country. lots of hiking, 2 volcanoes, lots of wildlife.

2 volcanoes.

This is probably/possibly one of them:

14y2tep.jpg

I'll echo Costa Rica. Spent a number of days there this past February. The continental divide and the eastern slopes are definitely worth considerable time. Refreshing relief from the relatively steaminess of the oceanside beaches. The steep slopes on the east side bear some resemblance to the windward sides of Maui and Kauai albeit the land slopes off taper off to flat lands towards the sea.

The answer has to be "it depends." If you like beaches, lounging, fancy resorts, etc. that is one thing. Nature; birds, animals, etc. the answer is often something else.

Our top destination is Southern Africa. The animal watching is fabulous and the accommodations are comfortable to the point of luxury if that is what you want. No beach lounging, drinking from glasses garnished with orchids, though. We have traveled several times with Pierre Duval (South Africa safaris | South African tours | South African safaris) and he has become a good friend. He & his wife Karen run a tour business that is completely custom; every single thing is tailored to your interests. Itinerary, types of lodging, speed/intensity of activities, etc. Want to hike? No problem. How about Kilimanjaro? Everyone that we have sent to Pierre has raved about him.

Another top trip to consider is the Galapagos Islands. Most trips are on 16-passenger boats and the animals and sea life are like nowhere else. With no predators, the wildlife is totally comfortable with humans in close proximity. Like we watched a female frigate bird totally comfortable feeding her chick with our small group in a circle four feet away. It is an Ecuadorian national park and they are trying desperately to maximize revenue while minimizing ecological damage, but money is slowly winning. Don't wait 20 years to take this trip as the destination may have deteriorated beyond repair.

Costa Rica IMO is kind of a combination destination. Resorts, beaches, lounging, etc. but lots of wildlife, especially birds, inland. If you go, contact Rudy Zamora; he is a wonderful guide and, as a free lance, he can hook you up with tour companies and activities that suit your desires. (https://www.rothschildsafaris.com/travel-tips/meet-your-costa-rica-private-guide)

Turkey is neat, but not these days. Egypt, though, is probably one of the best bargains on the planet and can't be beat on the history front. For outdoors-ie stuff, New Zealand is tops.

Hello!

Inland in Mexico. Dry and cool, although night-time can require a sweater. Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Mérida. Copper Canyon. Also the Mayan ruins southwest of Cancun.

South Louisiana.
Cajun country around Abbeville. Avery Island. D-Day museum in NO. Plantation tours. Stay in B&B.

Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions and referrals! Right now Costa Rica is ranking high on our list. It is closer (we live in Florida), so managing this trip with our work schedules would be much easier at this time. I suspect it also wouldn't be as expensive, which is important for us right now (still working on building our cash bucket for early retirement).

I am making a list with all of the suggestions for future trips to dream about!

What about Hawaii? There's tons of outdoor things to do. My favorite island is Kauai. I went tubing the ditch, the old sugar cane plantation irrigation canals - much of which was underground. The trails along the Napali Coast are said to be pretty tough, although very beautiful.

Edit to add - pretty long trip from FL, but worth it IMHO.

I'm going to Australia again in late January.

A couple of days each in Sydney and Melbourne and then a car to drive the GOR and see a bit of the Grampians.

New Zealand is also a great destination at that time of the year.

Also considering Thailand in January some time in the future. Bangkok and points north are suppose to be dry and sunny that time of the year.

Bay Area doesn't get too cold in January but if not for the drought, it's the wettest time of the year.

Another way go go is go to places which are glorious in the winter, like Switzerland. Hike in the snow on a clear sunny day looking at stunning alpine scenery and you don't feel cold at all.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the fabulous suggestions and referrals! Right now Costa Rica is ranking high on our list. It is closer (we live in Florida), so managing this trip with our work schedules would be much easier at this time. I suspect it also wouldn't be as expensive, which is important for us right now (still working on building our cash bucket for early retirement).

I am making a list with all of the suggestions for future trips to dream about!

One timing note on a potential Madeira trip. You fly to Lisbon and change planes there. We left NY (JFK) on a Friday evening, got to Lisbon at about 6:00 am on Saturday and were in Madeira in time for brunch at the hotel.

already mentioned, New Zealand. Check out the great walks for starters. There are easier hike and much more involved adventures if you want.

Been there once... and going back this winter.

One timing note on a potential Madeira trip. You fly to Lisbon and change planes there. We left NY (JFK) on a Friday evening, got to Lisbon at about 6:00 am on Saturday and were in Madeira in time for brunch at the hotel.

Good to hear. When she stopped in Madeira on an Atlantic crossing cruise last spring we though it's be a really nice place to spend some time some winter.

But having to fly through Lisbon to get there seemed rather daunting. I'll have to look into it more closely.

I think we could spend a week or two just walking the levadas.

Visiting is all that the discussion has been about.

It is a fine place to visit for a Central American country. Highly varied climate and topography depending on what one wants. Have not been there but I understand the NW quadrant accessed out of Liberia is where the more recent American style development is. The Pacific coast beach towns are where the big hotel chain resorts are and where surfers go. Best to google a bunch of information to decide what experiences one really wants. It is that varied.

There are still beautiful beach areas in Costa Rica and Panana that are not tourist traps. We stayed at several this past winter. In a few cases we were often the only people on beach or at most there were two or three other couples. It really depends where you go. This has been our experience for the past two visits.

Would we go back? In a flash. Given the choice between Hawaii or Florida Costa Rica would win hands down for us. Same with Panama. We went from deserted beaches near David to the mountains in Boquette and then over to the Pacific.

Back
Top Bottom