Travel hopes 2021

Super aggressive and only if everything goes right (it won't):

The 2021 Tucson gem shows rescheduled to mid-april. If I got vaccinated by then, I'd go. It's my annual solo trip (i make jewelry), and in addition to shopping for stones I stay outside of town in the mountains and enjoy daily hikes and lovely dinners.

Since that's unlikely, I've promised myself I'll go in the fall, sans-shows, and still spend a few days in the mountains anyway. Oh and the spa...

Other than that, I'll probably take a weekend drive trip with my sister up to visit with her daughter, my niece, who is a college freshman. We did that this fall: she met us at the hotel pool, we had a nice dinner outside, and the hotel had very good distancing enforced.

I'm not letting myself daydream for 2021 beyond that...

We have planned a "camping" trip to Lake Louisa State Park in Florida for early April. We rented a 2 bedroom cabin on the lake with another couple in our "bubble". Looking forward to hiking and campfires and cooking dinners and playing games, and maybe a few cocktails!

This is the only kind of travel we expect to do until vaccinated.

It's a super bummer because DH won a companion pass for me to fly with him on Southwest in 2020, the year we retired. Like many others, we had major travel plans scheduled that we had to cancel. Southwest extended their companion pass benefits for us until June 2021, but unfortunately we will be lucky if we get vaccinated by late spring due to our ages.

I could potentially become vaccinated earlier as I am a healthcare provider (PT in private practice - see limited patients every now and again), but that doesn't help since DH can't get vaccinated until the late phase.

Ah well, it's super small potatoes compared to what others have had to deal with this past year. We feel very lucky to have been able to hunker down in our little slice of paradise here in FL.

Our son and future DIL have fixed a wedding date in November. Commitments have been made and money has been paid. A few weeks ago, November 2021 seemed like a pretty good bet. Now we are a bit worried.

It is a destination wedding, but a drive-to destination (Highlands, NC).

We still haven’t rescheduled the two international trips we had planned for 2020. We are waiting for the vaccine before we schedule any trips. Even when we have the vaccine, I wonder how many places will be open. Really look forward to getting back to traveling.

Our son and future DIL have fixed a wedding date in November. Commitments have been made and money has been paid. A few weeks ago, November 2021 seemed like a pretty good bet. Now we are a bit worried.

It is a destination wedding, but a drive-to destination (Highlands, NC).

We went to a wedding in November, about 80 folks. Everyone masked and distanced, temp checks, etc. Would not have gone except very close lifelong friends. It had been delayed since May.

It was a beautiful wedding and all went well. Felt safe the entire time. And it was great to have that one small glimpse of normalcy.

The VP and his wife are in our larger circle, they also attended. So excellent security also!

I just checked on the situation in Yosemite where I have reservations later this year.

Currently, it is open for day use only. No camping. No overnight lodging.

Not so good.

We bounce hither & yon with destination ideas; it's all fantasy planning anyway "So what the hey?"

If a Fall visit to Ukraine/Poland, et al, is definitely off the table, then we'll pretend we're going to Israel in November.

Fictive = Flexible.

We are doing exactly the same. If we cannot get to Greece in Sept/Oct then maybe we can get to Morocco in Oct/Nov. And if not, maybe we can get to Zihuatenejo and Puerto Vallarta in Nov/Dec or Cancun with our daughter and family at Christmas.

And so it goes. At this point in time we feel the most likely will be next winter trip to SE Asia.....if those countries have opened to foreign visitors.

Not complaining. We are very thankful that we are healthy and and our loved ones are healthy. Staying home is nothing more than noise level.

It's a super bummer because DH won a companion pass for me to fly with him on Southwest in 2020, the year we retired. Like many others, we had major travel plans scheduled that we had to cancel. Southwest extended their companion pass benefits for us until June 2021, but unfortunately we will be lucky if we get vaccinated by late spring due to our ages.

Wow, I just received an email from Southwest saying they have extended companion pass benefits until 12/31/21 now. I can't believe it!

I really, really hope we can get vaccinated by summertime so that we can use our pass for at least 6 months. DH worked and traveled many hours to earn that in his last year of work in 2019.

I have reservations at Sequoia/Kings Canyon NPs and a beachfront hotel near Morro Bay in mid May. Had hoped to be vaccinated by then and no CA lockdown. Will consider just going to the NPs if not vaccinated by then but had hoped to visit the coast and Big Sur since it is only a few hours drive from the NPs.

Have reservations for Telluride in June for what would be the Bluegrass Festival dates which of course has been cancelled. May go anyway just to escape the desert heat and do some hiking.

Plans for Glacier NP in early September - had to cancel in 2020 and reschedule in 2021.

Would like to visit family in Oregon late in the year. This would be the only air travel for the year although I might drive up instead after Glacier.

You have to make lodging reservations for some of these places up to a year in advance. So better to plan ahead knowing travel is contingent on state and NP restrictions and COVID activity and cancel if necessary.

Last edited:
We are still deciding if we will fly to the US to visit friends and family this summer. We stayed in Korea last summer but it is getting harder to think about staying away from aging parents for so long.

We just a notice from Royal Caribbean that our credits will be extended to Sept 2022. This is their 3rd extension. Must be hurting.

I was adding updates to the US/Canadian border closure to an old thread I created, but figured it might be better to add updates here instead:

The Canada-U.S. border will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Feb. 21.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-extension-feb21-blair-1.5870109

I'm optimistic the border will open sometime before August. So much so that I booked a return train ticket for end of August. How am I getting there? By bike.

Assuming all goes well, DS and I will participate in RSVP (Ride Seattle to Vancouver) at the end of August. We've done this ride multiple times and always have fun. It's my favorite bike ride and I'm hoping it works out this year.

If the border opens sooner, odds are high that I'll take a weekend trip up to Vancouver. At the end of 2019 I got a Nexus pass and haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I'm still trying to figure out when to go to Europe. I was thinking May, but might push it out until I get the vaccine. It would be nice to avoid the summer, but this year it might not matter.

2 teachers here. Booked Vegas in March w/ DM76. We are NOT sure that is going to happen...we will push it to June if need be. (DM has a credit to use by early July). We are all in the next round of vaccines, so ANYTIME NOW....
We are looking at the last week of May for Hawaii--DIRT CHEAP flights & hotels (can pay for it all with points thru IHG & Hilton).
We canceled Med cruise (DM, me & DD22) for her college grad last May...have rebooked for 1st week of August. NO idea if this will be a go...not terribly optimistic. (DD is a teacher too; she just signed up for her vaccine appt in Fort Worth, so hers looks imminent)
We have a cruise we won that is supposed to go in November...I'd like to think by then it would be a go but WHO KNOWS??

2 teachers here. Booked Vegas in March w/ DM76. We are NOT sure that is going to happen...we will push it to June if need be. (DM has a credit to use by early July). We are all in the next round of vaccines, so ANYTIME NOW....
We are looking at the last week of May for Hawaii--DIRT CHEAP flights & hotels (can pay for it all with points thru IHG & Hilton).
We canceled Med cruise (DM, me & DD22) for her college grad last May...have rebooked for 1st week of August. NO idea if this will be a go...not terribly optimistic. (DD is a teacher too; she just signed up for her vaccine appt in Fort Worth, so hers looks imminent)
We have a cruise we won that is supposed to go in November...I'd like to think by then it would be a go but WHO KNOWS??

Before travel to Hawaii, be certain to obtain and BRING ironclad documentation of your vaccination(s) AND any required pre-travel tests. Otherwise, it's a 14 day quarantine - strictly enforced. YMMV

Before travel to Hawaii, be certain to obtain and BRING ironclad documentation of your vaccination(s) AND any required pre-travel tests. Otherwise, it's a 14 day quarantine - strictly enforced. YMMV
Yep. We are aware! Always good to be sure.

We just cancelled 2 weeks in Maui for April the requirements were not to DH liking. Ain’t nobody gonna get DH to put a tracking device on his phone.

We have Phoenix (drive-able) in May and Key West then Branson in June/July (flying).

We had aspirations for Ireland in September but doubt that will happen.

Saving all our miles for another business class trip to Thailand someday. Sigh

Check - Vegas may be willing to extend your DM's credit deadline.

141283348_1558859510973703_8643464680487137160_n.jpg

First Class fares from LAX to FLL are now down to $437 return on Alaska Air. We paid $1200 in the past for the same tickets on the same type of plane. Sub $500 first class fares would be great for coast to coast flights if that trend continued.

Back
Top Bottom