Travel hopes 2021

For those of you contemplating long flights I suggest you try KN95 masks. They are lightweight and give good protection but are set away from your face and allow you to breath. DH recently had knee replacement surgery and I was at the hospital for 12 hours and wore a KN95 mask for 12 hours and found it comfortable--I even forgot I was wearing it after a while.

Do they leave marks on your face? My n95 leaves indentations that last several hours, even after I've only worn it for an hour or so.

And, if so, do you have a link to the brand of KN95 that you found to be so comfortable?

Do they leave marks on your face? My n95 leaves indentations that last several hours, even after I've only worn it for an hour or so.

And, if so, do you have a link to the brand of KN95 that you found to be so comfortable?

My KF94 leaves no marks on my face even after I wore it 12 hours in the hospital. The brand name is BOTN, made in Korea. I got them from Amazon. I got the large white and it has adjustable ear loops. The ones I got are individually packaged. I find white masks to be cooler than black.

My KF94 leaves no marks on my face even after I wore it 12 hours in the hospital. The brand name is BOTN, made in Korea. I got them from Amazon. I got the large white and it has adjustable ear loops. The ones I got are individually packaged. I find white masks to be cooler than black.

Very interesting, never even heard of a KF94 - thought you had made a typo! :LOL: Looking into them right now - very much appreciate the suggestion!

Just ordered a package. Thanks for the information.
Always looking for effective but comfortable masks.

I'm actually surprised they haven't started doing "vaccinated only" flights. They could charge a premium for these flights and require proof of vaccination and drop the mask requirement. The airlines could still have regular flights, but throw a few of these in as well. My guess is they'd get a lot of interest.

I think the biggest issue here is that most vaccines have been recorded on simple card stock that are easily replicated/fabricated. There is no effective way to ACTUALLY prove you have been vaccinated (except a blood test, I assume).

I think the biggest issue here is that most vaccines have been recorded on simple card stock that are easily replicated/fabricated. There is no effective way to ACTUALLY prove you have been vaccinated (except a blood test, I assume).

Washington Post had a story about some eBay user selling them for about $10 each.

The user was tied to a Chicago area pharmacist, who claimed his eBay account had been hacked.

Supposedly, the pharmacies are given enough cards to match the inventory of vaccines they have so they shouldn't have any extra.

The other part is there are stiff federal penalties and possibly jail sentence for committing fraud involving the CDC cards.

Presumably if you tried to use them in some countries, they may impose their own penalties as well.

Very true. Some states are starting databases, but there is no universal database. I'm not sure how they'd go about enforcing this.

Very true. Some states are starting databases, but there is no universal database. I'm not sure how they'd go about enforcing this.

Supposedly they do have some kind of registries but not something that can easily be accessed by third party apps or any other systems.

Doubtful for instance that if Californians fly to CDG, the state of CA is going to let them query their database in real time.

The other part is there are stiff federal penalties and possibly jail sentence for committing fraud involving the CDC cards.

Presumably if you tried to use them in some countries, they may impose their own penalties as well.

Perhaps, but this would be too hard to prove and really unenforceable.

My SIL had a legitimate vaccine but they were out of the card stock version so it was simply a printed version of it. Also many of the mass vaccine clinics haven't been "taking names", especially since our state is now open to anyone and everyone over the age of 16. So, there is absolutely NO LEGITIMATE record of thousands (if not millions) of vaccinations.

While it seems like the "vaccinated only" travel/flights seems OK on paper, in theory I don't think it would ever happen, at least not this go around.

CVS told me to take photos of my CDC card, and if I ever lost or damaged it, come back to that same pharmacy and they could make me a new one. Obviously they can at least do a check that the lot numbers and dates correspond to their store.

I wonder what percentage of travelers are going to be traveling with fraudulent vaccination records anyway. Seems like it would be quite low.

Hawaii is working on their system. They have apparently caught and prosecuted visitors arriving with fake COVID test results.
This is not the more detailed article I read a few days ago. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ystem-start-may-11-residents-only/7316791002/

Last edited:
Hawaii keeps saying that we are "close" to having a travel passport - based on the vaccination record. It will include a database that can be checked for the individual lot numbers of vaccine used. Thus, while nothing is fool proof, there will be a "secure" place to check each person's card/uploaded record. The idea is to roll out the program for inter-island travel first. THEN, Hawaii will eventually allow folks to at least return to the Islands IF they have their vaccine passport - generated IN Hawaii. IF there is ever a searchable database of ALL vaccine records, Hawaii will eventually drop its requirement to be tested 72 hours ahead of flights to the island (in leu of 10 day quarantine.)

SO, a lot of ifs and whens and wherefores to fill in. BUT at least it sounds like folks are thinking ahead. By the way, the word from on high is that faked passports will lead to draconian punishments. No "first offense" kind of stuff either. It'll be do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail - as it should be IMHO.

Let us hope we get to herd immunity sooner rather than later. Maybe the passports won't even be needed. YMMV

Vaccine passport for inter island travel is going to be allowed only for Hawaiian residents.

Later in the summer they say transpacific arrivals can use vaccination documentation to skip prearrival testing or quarantine.

I was considering visiting in June but prices have gone up since I started tracking a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't checked the hotels or rental cars again but I wouldn't be surprised if they went up as well.

There are anecdotes of flights and arrival halls at KOA and other airports being packed.

My SIL had a legitimate vaccine but they were out of the card stock version so it was simply a printed version of it. Also many of the mass vaccine clinics haven't been "taking names", especially since our state is now open to anyone and everyone over the age of 16. So, there is absolutely NO LEGITIMATE record of thousands (if not millions) of vaccinations.

While it seems like the "vaccinated only" travel/flights seems OK on paper, in theory I don't think it would ever happen, at least not this go around.

Where do you get that info about the mass vaccine clinics? I find it hard to believe they run people through willy nilly...

I’m sitting here in Maui. We jumped through the hoops to get here with a 72hr test from Walgreens. There is a problem, car rentals are sky high but we lucked out with my Bil using points and discount codes travel & leisure and USAA to get a reasonable rate from Hertz. Another problem hotels 100% restaurants 50%. No masks on the beach but boardwalks yes. Masks at all indoors. Enforcement is lax so proceed at own risk. Seems to be getting back to normal. We have another test for Kauai tomorrow. We love it here and having a good but if I didn’t have use or lose time share I would have waited until all restrictions were lifted. 45 minutes in line at OGG to clear Covid. Of course masks on an eight hour flight.They are talking about post flight rapid covid test at the end of apr beginning May.

Did her card at least have the original bar code strips from the vaccines she got?

I'm a little concerned about records, too. I have the standard card but it was from a mass vaccination site and I don't remember providing much info on the preliminary sign-up- no SSN and I don't think they asked for a Medicare number. I was not asked to show ID when I got there. How can any reasonable database keep track of those vaccinations? My first and last names are unique so combined with my birth date (which I did supply) they might be able to identify me, but not if my name were Jane Smith.

Did her card at least have the original bar code strips from the vaccines she got?

I'm a little concerned about records, too. I have the standard card but it was from a mass vaccination site and I don't remember providing much info on the preliminary sign-up- no SSN and I don't think they asked for a Medicare number. I was not asked to show ID when I got there. How can any reasonable database keep track of those vaccinations? My first and last names are unique so combined with my birth date (which I did supply) they might be able to identify me, but not if my name were Jane Smith.

If this were to be entered into a database, they would be able to identify you by name, DOB, and lot number of the vaccination. It would extremely unlikely (though not impossible) to have two people with the same name and DOB who each got vaccinated from the same lot number. This being said, if they didn't ask for ID, you could pretend to be anyone. However, whoever was checking your information, would likely ask for your ID, and if they didn't match... Well, there would be issues, obviously.

I have not seen any vaccine cards with bar code strips--not mine, not anyone in my family, not any of my friends. Just has my name, Lot number, manufacturer, date and name of clinic site.

Where do you get that info about the mass vaccine clinics? I find it hard to believe they run people through willy nilly...

I got the information by getting my first shot that way. Not by the news, not by a rumor or a neighbor. ID was looked at when I first arrived and that was all. We did pre register and they were supposed to scan a QR code when we got to the site but no one was doing that, at least it was sporadic. As far as I know, this wouldn't be very useful to confirm that our shot was actually administered.

Not sure what you mean on bar code strips. I don't know about SIL but neither DW's or mine have any bar code strips on the CDC cards...just the vaccine name and lot number.

Last edited:
I got the information by getting my first shot that way. Not by the news, not by a rumor or a neighbor. ID was looked at when I first arrived and that was all. We did pre register and they were supposed to scan a QR code when we got to the site but no one was doing that, at least it was sporadic. As far as I know, this wouldn't be very useful to confirm that our shot was actually administered.

Not sure what you mean on bar code strips. I don't know about SIL but neither DW's or mine have any bar code strips on the CDC cards...just the vaccine name and lot number.

So they did look at your ID then and you preregistered so I don't see how this millions of people going unrecorded. Not exactly running people off the streets through willy-nilly. And you also have your vaccine name and lot number. What more did you want to happen?

Last edited:
No bar code strips. Who has that?

Ah, another example of how hard it will be to standardize records. My vaccine card has two tiny strips with bar codes that apparently identify the manufacturer (Moderna in my case) and the Lot Number in case of any issues. Each time I was vaccinated the nurse pasted one on the card. This was in Missouri.

They never checked my ID or Medicare card even though I offered both.

My vaccine card has two tiny strips with bar codes that apparently identify the manufacturer (Moderna in my case) and the Lot Number in case of any issues. Each time I was vaccinated the nurse pasted one on the card.

Bar codes? Pretty high tech!
Mine had a little strip pasted on for the first shot that just had Moderna and the lot number. The vaccinator wrote in the date.
Second shot there was no sticker; it was all written in.

Back
Top Bottom