Travel hopes 2021

Still just praying we'll get to travel to the old homestead back in the midwest - before the winter comes. Haven't been back to see folks for 2 years now. 2 new grand kids never seen in person. Bummer. YMMV

Haven't you already been vaccinated? This would seem to be one of the easier trips to plan for.

I’m half tempted to fly business. Right now it’s about $2150, which is a deal. Economy is around $1500 for the same dates. But I can’t get myself to BTD, especially since it’d be 2 tickets. I’m waiting for the price of economy tickets to drop. One of these days…

I flew Business Class on AA to San Juan del Cabo in early 2019 and was not impressed. No lounge access; ordinarily international Business Class passengers get lounge access- but I guess Mexico isn't "international". Cleverly timed so that dinner service didn't apply and whatever snacks they provided were pitiful- I can't even remember but I was glad I'd brought a stash of protein bars. It was also a relatively short flight since I flew from Houston and the one-hour flight from my home airport to IAH was on a baby jet where Business Class doesn't get you much.

From now on, I'm going to be more careful about where and when I purchase Business Class.

Yes, definitely need to be careful for what flights you choose business class. US to Europe long-haul flights are good. You get flat-bed seats, plenty of space, good food. I’d stick with Delta, British, or Lufthansa for those flights.

For intra-Europe (or US) flights, upgraded service offers a lot less. I flew to Cancun once using points for first class tickets and while nice, it’s a far cry from international business class on a major airline carrier.

But I am cheap. If the plane has a two seat configuration for economy (window and aisle seat), then I’d do that instead of business. I won’t be as comfortable, but it’s half the price and we’re not sitting next to somebody else. If I was flying solo, I’d BTD for business, especially at current prices.

Haven't you already been vaccinated? This would seem to be one of the easier trips to plan for.

You'd think so , wouldn't you?

BUT our state is schizoid about all this. We STILL require a current (3-day) Covid test to come into the state - even for those who live here - even for those with current vaccination. Otherwise, it's a mandatory quarantine of 10 days.

We (Hawaii) are working on (and supposedly close to) a "passport" system, to fly inter-island (not something I need to do). In essence, you have to UPLOAD your vaccine "passport" to THEIR system from your smart phone - which I don't own. THEN you have to carry your "paper passport" for them to verify. BUT none of this yet works to get you back to Hawaii if you go anyplace but another Island.

Supposedly "they're working on it" as far as kama'aina returning form the mainland - as well as folks from Japan and other places. BUT so far, no. It's "up your nose with a rubber hose" as Vinnie Barbarino would say if you want to enter Hawaii without quarantine. YMMV

You'd think so , wouldn't you?

BUT our state is schizoid about all this. We STILL require a current (3-day) Covid test to come into the state - even for those who live here - even for those with current vaccination. Otherwise, it's a mandatory quarantine of 10 days.

We (Hawaii) are working on (and supposedly close to) a "passport" system, to fly inter-island (not something I need to do). In essence, you have to UPLOAD your vaccine "passport" to THEIR system from your smart phone - which I don't own. THEN you have to carry your "paper passport" for them to verify. BUT none of this yet works to get you back to Hawaii if you go anyplace but another Island.

Supposedly "they're working on it" as far as kama'aina returning form the mainland - as well as folks from Japan and other places. BUT so far, no. It's "up your nose with a rubber hose" as Vinnie Barbarino would say if you want to enter Hawaii without quarantine. YMMV

Koolau, what can't you just get a Covid test right before you get on your return flight to Hawaii? You can now get rapid results in a couple of hours. The test is no big deal.

Koolau, what can't you just get a Covid test right before you get on your return flight to Hawaii? You can now get rapid results in a couple of hours. The test is no big deal.

You may be right. LAST I heard, it was the swab from hell or nothing. It was often problematic for folks to get the test within the 72 (not 73) hours AND once you returned, if you didn't have the right color form (or whatever) they wouldn't accept it. It was a cluster flop!. Could have changed but we don't like change here in the Islands, so YMMV.

You may be right. LAST I heard, it was the swab from hell or nothing. It was often problematic for folks to get the test within the 72 (not 73) hours AND once you returned, if you didn't have the right color form (or whatever) they wouldn't accept it. It was a cluster flop!. Could have changed but we don't like change here in the Islands, so YMMV.

Why do you call it the "swab from hell"--I have had it done several times and it is not painful--nothing to it really and over in a few seconds.

Why do you call it the "swab from hell"--I have had it done several times and it is not painful--nothing to it really and over in a few seconds.

Yep, I’ve had multiple swabs and will most likely have another before they let me back in the US. Not a big deal.

Missing out on travel, friends, family, and in general, enjoying life, well, for me that is a big deal. Isn’t that part of why we got vaccinated? But to each their own.

I take it you have never had a rectal swab before a prostate biopsy.

I guess we're all different. I've had it done twice (DW once - she HATED it to distraction!!) The "guy" sticks this long swab up your nose until it hits the top of your sinus cavity. He "twizzles" it a couple of times IIRC, leaves it in for a count of 10 (his count), then pulls it out. It still hurts (me) 10 minutes later (DW 20 minutes later.) As with so many things in this life, YMMV.

Oh, and for flying, I think it costs YOU (not your insurance CO. as in DW and my case) $120 to $150, so there's that. Again, YMMV.

I guess we're all different. I've had it done twice (DW once - she HATED it to distraction!!) The "guy" sticks this long swab up your nose until it hits the top of your sinus cavity. He "twizzles" it a couple of times IIRC, leaves it in for a count of 10 (his count), then pulls it out. It still hurts (me) 10 minutes later (DW 20 minutes later.) As with so many things in this life, YMMV.

Oh, and for flying, I think it costs YOU (not your insurance CO. as in DW and my case) $120 to $150, so there's that. Again, YMMV.

Wow I did not realize they were charging you $120-$150 for a Covid test, it only cost me $30.

Wow I did not realize they were charging you $120-$150 for a Covid test, it only cost me $30.

It depends on the test. Antigen is cheaper than a PCR test. In PV, you can get an antigen for around $30-$40 and a PCR $140+. For travel, the antigen meets CDC requirements.

Actually, I have no idea how much I paid as it was part of my "admission" to the hospital before they would let me in for a procedure. Insurance covered all or part of the test.

BUT the news was filled with reports of those prices for folks wishing to travel to the Islands. I recall thinking "just another price of paradise."

Knowing our local news, I wouldn't put a bet on the accuracy of the cost - keeping in mind it was most likely administered at a CVS on the mainland. But I've never heard the figure disputed either.

Was your $30 test the full nasal "exploration" or just just the nares? The full test required a nurse. Other tests I've seen (at the local level - not suitable for entry to HI State) was self-administered. IIRC it was simply to let you know if you had Covd or not. I'm not certain a nurse was required although there was at least a technician advising and taking the completed swab/tube after affixing the appropriate ID label.

It depends on the test. Antigen is cheaper than a PCR test. In PV, you can get an antigen for around $30-$40 and a PCR $140+. For travel, the antigen meets CDC requirements.

As mentioned, I'm not certain what test is required currently to enter HI State but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still the PCR - it WAS as recently as a couple of months ago - especially confirmed by the prices you quote. Our news was full of the story about the cost, the tricky timing, the glitches with paper work, disappointed tourists, yada, yada, yada. YMMV

I take it you have never had a rectal swab before a prostate biopsy.

Thankfully, no. It would be quite awkward:blush: to complete THAT test in a car as the nasal swab was done (all 3 times I was present for one.)

Bad as the rectal swab SOUNDS, I would still doubt it's as uncomfortable (except in the telling) as the actual nasal swab I had. The effect was rather like an instantaneous sinus-infection headache which lasted (only) about 10 minutes. There was appropriate snorting, coughing and I think a sneeze or two involved - though I'm trying to wipe the whole thing from my memory banks. Could be one advantage to developing short-term memory loss.:LOL:

Had plenty of DREs (back when they used to do such things.) Never something to look forward to but more awkward than unpleasant. Doc even recently talked me into stopping the PSA test as he said, especially at my age, false positives were more of a problem. Most actual positives indicate either a false alarm or that you will die WITH the disease instead of from it. I decided to listen. Oh, and I guess it makes it more unlikely I'll ever get to "try" the rectal swab - thank goodness.

I take it you have HAD the nasal test for Covid (the one with entry into the sinuses?) Without THAT experience, comparison to rectal swabs is just speculation so YMMV.

As mentioned, I'm not certain what test is required currently to enter HI State but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still the PCR - it WAS as recently as a couple of months ago - especially confirmed by the prices you quote. Our news was full of the story about the cost, the tricky timing, the glitches with paper work, disappointed tourists, yada, yada, yada. YMMV

Are you just not wanting to go on an airplane at this time? Two clicks on google got me to a list of trusted testing partners including Walgreens. Why wouldn't you just call one of them and ask which test they use?

You also have the option of just staying in your own home for a 10 day quarantine if you choose not to Covid test.

Are you just not wanting to go on an airplane at this time? Two clicks on google got me to a list of trusted testing partners including Walgreens. Why wouldn't you just call one of them and ask which test they use?

You also have the option of just staying in your own home for a 10 day quarantine if you choose not to Covid test.

Yes I know where to get the tests (at least CVS and Walgreens) - and am assuming that it's a lot easier to jump through the hoops now than it was a few months ago. And, yes, I could find out what test is required - not that it would change anything. Yes, I know I could quarantine but why should a fully vaccinated person need to quarantine?

I don't suppose $150 for each of us would prevent me from traveling either. I WOULD go through the nasal/sinus massacre again if need be. BUT if all goes as planned, I won't be returning for a while. (That's because I won't be leaving for a while because I have medical protocols to complete before I can leave - a thread to present - or not - at a future date.)

What I'm HOPING for is that, by the time we leave for the mainland, all this rigamarole will be over since everyone will have had a chance to be vaccinated AND the various "authorities" will find some semblance of a sane and maybe even reasonable approach to travel. So far, we're still "working on it" here in the Islands. If there's the slightest chance of blame or blow-back, no one here will step out and take the responsibility of making a decision. I sometimes wonder if the old expression "If it saves one life..." wasn't invented here.

So, if you want to say that Ko'olau just wants to whine - I won't even argue with you. I'm whining and I think I have a right, though you have a right to disagree as YMMV.

I have recently complete a road trip that I had planned and then cancelled three times last year. It was great and I'm glad to have done it. A few observations:

1. Most fast food places now are doing drive-up only which I find often takes longer than going into a building. And while they will gladly sell you food, they won't let you use the bathrooms which are inside their locked-up buildings. Parents with small kids need to be warned. So a food and potty break now takes two stops. Or a longer stop at a park, rest stop, or whatever, than what might otherwise be necessary.

2. Mask behavior varies radically with the state and the region. Some places are still demanding full masking, others have the attitude of "Mask? No, we don't do that here." One clerk at a tourist area told me that the staff wore masks while working because too many tourists got panicky when they saw unmasked locals indoors. So keep that mask handy.

3. Most hotels won't service a room even in areas that have 'opened up'. But you can easily get clean towels, soap, and coffee packets with a call to the front desk or housekeeping.

4. People are traveling inside the USA. Despite official recommendations by my state's health officials to avoid unnecessary travel and trips, I met a lot of people from my state in other states.

Yes I know where to get the tests (at least CVS and Walgreens) - and am assuming that it's a lot easier to jump through the hoops now than it was a few months ago. And, yes, I could find out what test is required - not that it would change anything. Yes, I know I could quarantine but why should a fully vaccinated person need to quarantine?

I don't suppose $150 for each of us would prevent me from traveling either. I WOULD go through the nasal/sinus massacre again if need be. BUT if all goes as planned, I won't be returning for a while. (That's because I won't be leaving for a while because I have medical protocols to complete before I can leave - a thread to present - or not - at a future date.)

What I'm HOPING for is that, by the time we leave for the mainland, all this rigamarole will be over since everyone will have had a chance to be vaccinated AND the various "authorities" will find some semblance of a sane and maybe even reasonable approach to travel. So far, we're still "working on it" here in the Islands. If there's the slightest chance of blame or blow-back, no one here will step out and take the responsibility of making a decision. I sometimes wonder if the old expression "If it saves one life..." wasn't invented here.

So, if you want to say that Ko'olau just wants to whine - I won't even argue with you. I'm whining and I think I have a right, though you have a right to disagree as YMMV.

I never said you were whining:D in my case I'm not certain I want to go on an airplane yet. I'd probably say I don't like wearing a mask that long, the planes are too crowded, blah,blah,blah, but the truth is I don't want to be around other people in a tight space for that long, I'm not ready yet.

I was just wondering if that is in the back of your mind. Good Luck with your medical stuff and may you see those GK's soon.

I never said you were whining:D in my case I'm not certain I want to go on an airplane yet. I'd probably say I don't like wearing a mask that long, the planes are too crowded, blah,blah,blah, but the truth is I don't want to be around other people in a tight space for that long, I'm not ready yet.

I was just wondering if that is in the back of your mind. Good Luck with your medical stuff and may you see those GK's soon.

Thanks and aloha.:flowers:

I have recently complete a road trip that I had planned and then cancelled three times last year. It was great and I'm glad to have done it. A few observations:

1. Most fast food places now are doing drive-up only which I find often takes longer than going into a building. And while they will gladly sell you food, they won't let you use the bathrooms which are inside their locked-up buildings. Parents with small kids need to be warned. So a food and potty break now takes two stops. Or a longer stop at a park, rest stop, or whatever, than what might otherwise be necessary.

2. Mask behavior varies radically with the state and the region. Some places are still demanding full masking, others have the attitude of "Mask? No, we don't do that here." One clerk at a tourist area told me that the staff wore masks while working because too many tourists got panicky when they saw unmasked locals indoors. So keep that mask handy.

3. Most hotels won't service a room even in areas that have 'opened up'. But you can easily get clean towels, soap, and coffee packets with a call to the front desk or housekeeping.

4. People are traveling inside the USA. Despite official recommendations by my state's health officials to avoid unnecessary travel and trips, I met a lot of people from my state in other states.

number 1 and 3 are simply to save money at this point and don't have anything to do with Covid. I hope that isn't permanent. Now in MN you can go inside a lot of FF places to order in person takeout and the bathrooms are open thank goodnes.

We used rest areas for bathrooms. And all were open and fine.

We took all our own food with us in a cooler, so we didn’t have to find restaurants, and usually had a picnic at a rest area break otherwise ate in hotel room.

Our 2020/2021 road trips were necessary as we had to commute between TX and GA to take care of DF and his estate. We look forward to some road trips for pleasure this summer.

Actually, I have no idea how much I paid as it was part of my "admission" to the hospital before they would let me in for a procedure. Insurance covered all or part of the test.

BUT the news was filled with reports of those prices for folks wishing to travel to the Islands. I recall thinking "just another price of paradise."

Knowing our local news, I wouldn't put a bet on the accuracy of the cost - keeping in mind it was most likely administered at a CVS on the mainland. But I've never heard the figure disputed either.

Was your $30 test the full nasal "exploration" or just just the nares? The full test required a nurse. Other tests I've seen (at the local level - not suitable for entry to HI State) was self-administered. IIRC it was simply to let you know if you had Covd or not. I'm not certain a nurse was required although there was at least a technician advising and taking the completed swab/tube after affixing the appropriate ID label.

The last Covid test I had was before I had a colonoscopy --I would assume it was the full thing administer by a medical person, it lasted about 10 seconds, was a little uncomfortable but did not really hurt, really no big deal. They sent me a bill for $30 but I called them and told them to submit it to Medicare and they did and Medicare paid it.

Well you want to know about travel hopes this year?

I've booked three trips over the summer and into September in the past week.

One of them was an award ticket that was too good to pass up, plus I don't want to be holding too many miles when they inevitably devalue the FF programs.

Another one was a $1700 business class fare to Barcelona. From there I will probably take a short flight to France.

The last Covid test I had was before I had a colonoscopy --I would assume it was the full thing administer by a medical person, it lasted about 10 seconds, was a little uncomfortable but did not really hurt, really no big deal. They sent me a bill for $30 but I called them and told them to submit it to Medicare and they did and Medicare paid it.

Heh, heh, I don't have your nose, but I'd almost bet money you didn't have the same test DW and I had. It's not the $30 amount I base that on as I can't confirm what my insurance was charged. BUT, if it didn't hurt, didn't feel terrible, still feel "bad" 5 to 10 minutes later, and make you tear and make you cough and/or snort and/or sneeze - I submit it was the "easy" test. Our hospital (Queens) does NOT use the "easy" test for admission to the bowels of the hospital (Where actual procedures are performed such as colonoscopy but NOT just simple X-rays, etc.)!

DW "eagerly" agrees with me and will throw in $25 on the "bet."

Of course, I could be wrong. I was once :facepalm: so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom