Travel hopes for 2022

Ever the infernal optimists, we've just placed a small, (ostensibly fully refundable), deposit on a cruise from Dubai to Athens leaving Dubai February 13 next year.

Nemo, I'd love to see Dubai and Greece! Don't know much about some of the other places you mention.

Our international trips so far have been Brazil, Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany (favorite), cruises to Caribbean twice, and I've done Australia and Singapore without my wife.

I'd love to do Japan but worry about the cost and culture/language issues. Greece, Amsterdam, Indonesia are also on our short list.

Nemo, I'd love to see Dubai and Greece! Don't know much about some of the other places you mention.

Our international trips so far have been Brazil, Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany (favorite), cruises to Caribbean twice, and I've done Australia and Singapore without my wife.

I'd love to do Japan but worry about the cost and culture/language issues. Greece, Amsterdam, Indonesia are also on our short list.
Here's the itinerary for the ship we've placed a deposit on, (different vessel from that previously mentioned):

Sunday, February 13 Dubai, United Arab Emirates 11:59pm
Monday, February 14 Abu Dhabi, UAE 6:00am 4:00pm
Tuesday, February 15 Fujairah, UAE 8:00am 4:00pm
Wednesday, February 16 At Sea
Thursday, February 17 Salalah, Oman 7:30am 8:30pm
Friday, February 18 At Sea
Saturday, February 19 At Sea
Sunday, February 20 At Sea
Monday, February 21 At Sea
Tuesday, February 22 Petra (Aqaba), Jordan 6:00am 8:00pm
Wednesday, February 23 Luxor (Safaga), Egypt 7:00am
Thursday, February 24 Luxor (Safaga), Egypt 8:00pm
Friday, February 25 Suez Canal
Sunday, February 27 Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel 6:00am 11:59pm
Monday, February 28 Haifa, Israel 6:00am 11:59pm
Tuesday, March 1 Limassol, Cyprus 10:00am 6:00pm
Wednesday, March 2 Rhodes, Greece 9:30am 3:30pm
Thursday, March 3 Athens (Piraeus), Greece 6:00am

So now we're attempting to 'plan' (and I use the word lightly), a post cruise itinerary.....we're emulating headless chickens and running hither and yon without knowing where we are or where we've been.

I guess the almost penultimate bottom line is that there are sooooo many places we'd like to visit, and so now we're factoring in cost, (a large component) - we'd like to go to 'A', but we'd also like to go to 'B', (and all the other alphabet letters), so we're thinking if 'C' is easier/cheaper to get to than either 'A' or 'B', well then why not go to 'D' instead?

The current, (for how long who knows), 'plan' is to spend a couple days post cruise in Athens, (DW's never been), fly to Rome, train from Rome airport station to Perugia, rent a little studio for a couple/few weeks and do day trips on local buses to Assisi, Gubbio, Todi, Spello, Armatrice, L'Aquila, et al.

(I'll be 79 in 7 months so time's running out.....geez, it may have already run out and I haven't realized it yet. :LOL: )

Last edited:
^^^ Sounds like a long and fun trip.

The current, (for how long who knows), 'plan' is to spend a couple days post cruise in Athens, (DW's never been), fly to Rome, train from Rome airport station to Perugia, rent a little studio for a couple/few weeks and do day trips on local buses to Assisi, Gubbio, Todi, Spello, Armatrice, L'Aquila, et al.

Of the above Italian towns, I know only of Assisi. I wanted to go there the last time I was in the Umbria region, but it was too far east from where I stayed, and I did not have enough time. I have not been to the Adriatic side of Italy other than Venice and wonder what's there, nor have I been to the Dolomites.

I surely hope to come back to Italy a few more times in my life, but my heart is set for the Scandinavian countries for the next trip. It was originally planned for 2020, and I hope to be able to do it in 2022.

Last edited:
We had a Danube river cruise rescheduled to 2022. Will so some cross country driving trips this year, and shooting for Europe in the fall if vaccinations are done.

^^^ Sounds like a long and fun trip.

DW's never been around the Red Sea area so that's one incentive to go, (I've been through it three times, twice on the old (long since scrapped) Chandris RHMS Patris, (my) last voyage (1966) it broke down and we kinda floated around for a while...as a distraction for the passengers the Captain 'organized' a lifeboat drill, but the boat got stuck at a 45 degree angle, so we watched them hose down the deck instead.:LOL: ).......looking forward to going back to Jerusalem, was there early 1982....just loved the old city........would also like to get back to Akko when/if the ship docks in Haifa.

Of the above Italian towns, I know only of Assisi. I wanted to go there the last time I was in the Umbria region, but it was too far east from where I stayed, and I did not have enough time. I have not been to the Adriatic side of Italy other than Venice and wonder what's there, nor have I been to the Dolomites.
We found a number of good tips from poster bvlenci on this thread:
https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-day-trips-from-perugia-and-umbertide-1467048/ Aug 21st, 2017, 03:20 PM

DW's daughter's husband, who before The Plague used to frequently make trips to the region as a production line trouble shooter for his company, has also been to a number of the towns mentioned and echoes the sentiments expressed.

I would like to have revisited Trieste, (was there in 1963), but since the body is falling apart don't want to get tooooooo overextended.

I surely hope to come back to Italy a few more times in my life, but my heart is set for the Scandinavian countries for the next trip. It was originally planned for 2020, and I hope to be able to do it in 2022.
We still want to see Ukraine, and to go back to Poland...but, but, but....too many 'buts' and not enough time.

Last edited:
DW and I are currently sitting here in a condo in St Croix. Everything is open. Masks are required and most people are complying. We are having a great time. Heading out for a culinary tour in about an hour. Getting down here we needed a neg covid test within 5 days prior then upload it into the USVI website. Hoping to meet some European friends in Southern France in the fall.

We loved St. Croix when we went years ago. Bigger Island and not too crowded. Bucks Island is a cool trip.

We loved St. Croix when we went years ago. Bigger Island and not too crowded. Bucks Island is a cool trip.

Everyone's post brings back memories. Christmas 1983, coming back from Anegada, and I'm pretending I'm steering the boat:

International travel will be a problem until the pandemic is "effectively over" for the rest of the world.

Save your vaccine administration card. I hear that many European countries will require proof of vaccination.

Save your vaccine administration card. I hear that many European countries will require proof of vaccination.

While we sat for the 15 minute "observation" period after our second shot, we took a picture of the completed vaccination card so we have that on our phones just in case.

There will be LOTS of travel in 2021

Better get booked

I agree. DW and I have booked an August 2021, 10-day road/train trip to Denali and the Katmai peninsula in Alaska. Air travel, lodges and train tickets booked so far. Car reservation to follow soon. The company we used offered a 20% discount for bookings prior to the end of February (and 100% refund until 30 days before departure). Pretty sure we will be vaccinated before then and will feel comfortable flying.

I am hoping for some travel next year. I would like to take the ferry to Friday Harbor, and spend some time in the San Juan Islands.

We also have a bunch of FCC on Princess. My challenge is to get DW to get on what she calls a "floating Petri Dish". We live on the West Coast, so we can either cruise north or south. We have no desire to do a Mexican cruise, so it looks like north, if we go at all.

I agree. DW and I have booked an August 2021, 10-day road/train trip to Denali and the Katmai peninsula in Alaska. Air travel, lodges and train tickets booked so far. Car reservation to follow soon. The company we used offered a 20% discount for bookings prior to the end of February (and 100% refund until 30 days before departure). Pretty sure we will be vaccinated before then and will feel comfortable flying.

Denali in August is peak mosquito season IIRC. Beautiful place but you'll be "donating" a lot of antibody-filled blood while you're there! :LOL:

There will be LOTS of travel in 2021

Better get booked

+1

DGF and I are planning on several domestic getaways once we've been vaccinated... which is starting to seem like it might be sooner than we expected. We'll be doing road trips, getting on airplanes, staying in hotels and AirBnbs, the full shebang. Not sure yet about international travel in 2021, but definitely hoping for at least "overseas domestic" (e.g., Hawaii, Virgin Islands).

We don't see any need to wait until 2022 to resume traveling and experiencing the broader world again. We aren't big cruise people, so we're happy to forego that type of travel for a while yet.

I am hoping for some travel next year. I would like to take the ferry to Friday Harbor, and spend some time in the San Juan Islands.

We also have a bunch of FCC on Princess. My challenge is to get DW to get on what she calls a "floating Petri Dish". We live on the West Coast, so we can either cruise north or south. We have no desire to do a Mexican cruise, so it looks like north, if we go at all.

If you are open to 'roughing it' consider the Alaska Ferry system. Be aware that cabins have bunk beds. Many pitch a tent on the deck and use air mattresses. Disembark at communities that interest you, book local sightseeing trips.

Our fall 2021 Alaska land/cruise trip was cancelled as Canada is not allowing any cruise ships. We'll reschedule for 2022...can't imagine it won't be a go :dance:. Depending on how things go in the next few months, Covid-wise, we'll do some week long road trips this year.

Denali in August is peak mosquito season IIRC. Beautiful place but you'll be "donating" a lot of antibody-filled blood while you're there! :LOL:
I hope this Alaska.org site is correct...
No question: mosquitoes can be a pain in the neck. And the arm. And the leg. And just about anywhere we forget to—or don't want to—cover up. Alaska has 35 species of mosquito, and all but a few will be more than happy to nibble on humans. But mosquitoes are only really an issue for Alaska visitors from the second week in June to the last week in July, and even then, they're not nearly as bad as myth would have it.
Mid August for us so we'll see :)

I hope this Alaska.org site is correct...
Mid August for us so we'll see :)

I hope that's true. My experience was 7 or 8 years ago in early August. Out hiking in the middle of Denali NP, and we had to wear hats with mosquito netting that tied around our neck, long sleeved shirts with gloves, and masking tape to seal around the cuffs of our shirts and pants. Even then we were covered in mosquitos.

But you'll survive; after all, we did. Bring a large size spray can of something like Deep Woods Off.

Good to know! May have to look into hats with netting just in case. Would love to not need them, but better to have and not use than trying to find in the middle of nowhere/

Good to know! May have to look into hats with netting just in case. Would love to not need them, but better to have and not use than trying to find in the middle of nowhere/

Sounds like you're going with an organized group, so they may have those hats to lend you. That's where we got them. Good idea to ask in advance instead of buying them.

Not really organized. We have a multiday booking at the Denali backcountry lodge. It's a full board cabin ~ 200 miles into Denali from the train station. They organize daily hikes from the cabins (you can choose elementary, intermediate or strenuous levels) with a guide. Hopefully a good experience. They may well have gear we can use. We'll have to check. Thanks for all the info.

Our fall 2021 Alaska land/cruise trip was cancelled as Canada is not allowing any cruise ships. We'll reschedule for 2022...can't imagine it won't be a go . Depending on how things go in the next few months, Covid-wise, we'll do some week long road trips this year.

It probably will be a go, but Canada is like Europe in regards to the vaccine rollout so watch it carefully. They make the USA look like champs in comparison.

We stayed there a few nights as well. There are a couple of places -- most enjoyable. The only part I didn't enjoy was the long, long bus ride over the dirt road into the lodge area.

If you have the chance to take a flightseeing trip over Denali from Kantishna Airfield, do it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 4.08.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 4.08.08 PM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom