Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51notout View Post
I recently booked a villa in Greece for May next year for my extended family. I used VRBO to book as I could choose those properties offering 100% refund up to 14 days before the reservation. AirBNB properties had no refund after the day you booked it as far as I could tell. No way would I use that service for that reason alone.

Currently on a Caribbean cruise with Celebrity. They offer cancellation up to 48 hours prior to sailing for a future cruise credit. Not ideal but fine for me since we will continue to cruise. It’s also a 100% vaxxed cruise…. Another necessary factor for me. (I know it’s not a guarantee of no infections).

I recently bought annual travel insurance for the first time at the suggestion of posters on er.org, from Allianz, and it does cover interruptions because of pandemics (as well as other travel delays etc). It’s not cancel for any reason though. But if you’re careful what you book it might be enough.

Other than booking rental houses a couple of times we hadn’t traveled until October. I feel much more comfortable going further afield now because we are “boosted” and available refund policies, plus we are not getting any younger [emoji57]

As the linked WSJ article above suggests, companies should continue to offer easier travel adjustments to travelers. I don’t think I would be so keen to book without that facility.

In Airbnb, you can have a search filter for those properties which offer refunds.

I had to cancel a couple of Airbnb bookings in 2020. Got refunds in some but not in others. For those, Airbnb gave me a credit for future bookings. I don't know if they will still do that, since you can search for properties which only have refundable bookings.

For travel insurance, I would make sure that they will cover quarantine costs if you test positive in another country.

Some of the travel insurance may offer medical policies which will cover covid treatments but not necessarily quarantines where you test positive but you aren't that sick so you're confined to a hospital, quarantine facility or a hotel of some kind.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't tried this, and hopefully I won't have to, but your credit card may reimburse you if you have trip cancellation insurance. The key is that you're unable to take the trip because you test positive, not because you don't want to go. I did a bit of research on this before I booked a hotel in Canada with the Chase Sapphire Reserve CC. Everything indicated that it would be covered if I tested positive and couldn't travel to Canada, so I booked a non-refundable hotel room.

I've never submitted a claim, so who knows if I'd get pushback, but it should be a covered event.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel hopes for 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
In Airbnb, you can have a search filter for those properties which offer refunds.

Thanks. I use the Airbnb app. I went back and searched for that filter. Couldn’t find it. I did read in the terms etc that the option to filter on cancellation policy is supposed to be available once the listing of properties is shown. There are plenty of filters but I can’t see the cancellation one. User error most likely.

I went to the Airbnb website and couldn’t even get past the date choice for May. I’m using my iPhone and the site wasn’t adapting to my device. Tried Safari and DuckDuckGo browsers without luck.

I don’t doubt you at all, Explanade, I’m sure the feature is there somewhere but it’s too much effort to find it for me [emoji3]

IMG_0534.jpg

Screenshot from the app. Neither of the filter options shown contain cancellation policy. Nor does the filter icon.
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

OK here are a couple of screen shots showing the Free Cancellations on the Safari browser on my Mac.

HOWEVER, that filter returned properties in Kauai which only has 50% refundable by the end of December for stays in January or February.

I tried another market, a place in Italy for late June and that only refunds through April.

So while the filter is there, I guess you will have to enter your dates and look at the property listing closely, scroll down and they have the cancellation policy set by the host.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.25.58 PM.jpg (256.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.26.15 PM.jpg (306.6 KB, 45 views)
Travel hopes for 2022
Old 12-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel hopes for 2022

Quote:
OK here are a couple of screen shots showing the Free Cancellations on the Safari browser on my Mac.

Thank you for taking the time to do that [emoji106] [emoji482]

I’ll have to buy a laptop to check as that toggle option doesn’t show on my phone. 30 years in IT and I don’t have a computer since I retired last year [emoji4] Maybe it’s time [emoji3]

Here’s a pic of the ship we are currently on [emoji23]

IMG_0535.JPG

DW just won it in a meet the officers thing.

BTW: They are really hoping that people return to cruising. This cruise is around 50% full and it’s mostly people that have cruised multiple times previously. The same as some on land industries, they are having some issues getting people to fill open positions. Folks have had two ish years off and found other jobs. I’d highly recommend cruises as an easy way to get away…at least on Celebrity…as they seem to be trying very hard to be as cautious as they can be.

P.S. please excuse any rambling and the excessive use of emojis as I’ve had a few freebies so far [emoji57]
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:50 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51notout View Post
I’ll have to buy a laptop to check as that toggle option doesn’t show on my phone. 30 years in IT and I don’t have a computer since I retired last year [emoji4] Maybe it’s time [emoji3]

Here’s a pic of the ship we are currently on [emoji23]
You must be very very small...
Old 12-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #207
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I put a deposit on a Grand Canyon raft trip going in late May 2022. I was scheduled for the same trip in 2020 but...
We did the 2nd half of this this year and the first have in 2019. Absolutely marvelous!
ChrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #208
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have Puerto Vallarta booked for the first week in January. Where I'll go after that, I have no idea, but entirely open to suggestions
roadyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #209
Give me a forum ...

After consulting with GF we have decided to cancel our 2nd quarter international travel plans and replace them with a trip road trip to Oregon and parts of Idaho. We will visit some interesting geographical and natural areas that promise an interesting time.

The international travel is now scheduled for mid Summer. We are going to visit the mountainous areas of Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Summer heat should not be quite as bad. A Summer trip seems the best. Neither of us are snow, freezing weather, people.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #210
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
After consulting with GF we have decided to cancel our 2nd quarter international travel plans and replace them with a trip road trip to Oregon and parts of Idaho. We will visit some interesting geographical and natural areas that promise an interesting time.

The international travel is now scheduled for mid Summer. We are going to visit the mountainous areas of Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Summer heat should not be quite as bad. A Summer trip seems the best. Neither of us are snow, freezing weather, people.
If you are going anywhere south central Oregon, I highly recommend Crater Lake- worth the drive and spectacular!
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

We spent 11 days in Germany a couple of months ago, and you couldn't get into a sit down restaurant, public transportation or inside a train station without a mask on. And if you forgot to put one on, individuals would be bold enough to tell you.

At home, I see a few masks in grocery stores, but that's about it. People here are into maintaining their personal freedoms. And our COVID infection rates are very low--with those in the hospitals essentially being the anti-vac'd.

We're seeing some changes in European anti-Covid policies this week. Certain countries are really getting tight--like Austria. Who knows what the near future will hold?

We have a cruise throughout Scandanavia booked the end of May-at a ridiculously low price. My biggest fear is in the political situation with Putin and whether the Russians invade the Ukraine. We are scheduled to go to St. Petersburg.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Experts seem to think that Omicron will peak in mid or late January and then peter out by end of February.

It's shooting up so fast, the new infections attributed to Omicron so the hope is that it will drop as fast because, well, there will be too many infected or reinfected that there won't be much fresh hosts to infect.

Hope they're right, not just wishful thinking.

Europe had a bad winter wave last year and then by spring, they were talking up opening tourism, including to Americans, who were banned in summer of 2020.

They started out slow in vaccinations though yet they opened up.

I don't know, if there's a new vaccine in the spring, that might become a requirement to travel. And new vaccine will be in short supply.

Or we might need more boosters again. Guess we will see if Israel which boosted before everyone else, will start doing a second round of boosters in January or February.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We're seeing some changes in European anti-Covid policies this week. Certain countries are really getting tight--like Austria. Who knows what the near future will hold?

We have a cruise throughout Scandanavia booked the end of May-at a ridiculously low price. My biggest fear is in the political situation with Putin and whether the Russians invade the Ukraine. We are scheduled to go to St. Petersburg.
Would this be on the Enchanted ?
I was looking at this, as it solves the getting there issue.
<edit> Not 100% sure Americans are allowed in , but haven't read official site yet.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Experts seem to think that Omicron will peak in mid or late January and then peter out by end of February.

I
My issue is that we were supposed to suffer through a bad but not the worst Delta wave in late Fall and Winter and then be on the downward slope to endemic status. Alas, Omicron through a spanner into the works.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My issue is that we were supposed to suffer through a bad but not the worst Delta wave in late Fall and Winter and then be on the downward slope to endemic status. Alas, Omicron through a spanner into the works.
So did Delta.

The 2 shots of vaccines would have been okay for Alpha and earlier variants.

Delta made boosters required.

So has Omicron, even more.

Either Omicron or the next variant may require new vaccines.

Maybe by middle of the year, the Pfizer Paxlovid pills will be available but you need a prescription.

Would be nice to be able to take some on trips. The pills if you buy out of pocket will be hundreds of dollars, maybe close to a thousand.

They are testing it for prophylaxis but supplies will be limited for awhile so I doubt they will give out prescriptions preemptively.

What are the odds that travel insurance policies will cover you consulting with a foreign doctor and then filling an Rx while overseas.

There were so many ideas being worked on, like inhalers. But vaccines showed great efficacy a year ago so I don't know how many of these treatments are still being developed.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #216

Booked so far are several week long RV trips at very nice RV parks - think pools and spas - to San Diego, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Malibu, and Morro Bay/Paso Robles. We anticipate a great mix of hiking, biking, good eats, and good wine/craft beer, our usual RV'ing pattern.

We'll spend a month in Germany in June visiting DD, SIL and GD's. The going and coming may well be stressful, depending on the ever-changing COVID protocols, but it is what it is, and we're not willing to wait to see them. Once there, we'll assess the situation, and can then hopefully add in overnight trips to Munich, Nuremberg, Wurzburg and Heidelberg. Also hoping to do a side trip to Strasbourg, France, but again, it will depend on France's COVID protocol situation, and how many $$$ tests might be needed. I expect we will need six already, three each for the coming and going, and there is only so much we are willing to pay for them.

Also just booked a Sierra Club-led week long trip to Big Bend NP in Texas. We'll be base camped, but will hike each day in and around the park. We plan to extend the trip coming and going, and look forward to overnighting in Tucson AZ, Las Cruces NM, and El Paso, Marathon, & Alpine TX, along the way there and back home.

Should be a good year, and we are looking forward to it.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:52 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Maybe by middle of the year, the Pfizer Paxlovid pills will be available but you need a prescription.

Would be nice to be able to take some on trips. The pills if you buy out of pocket will be hundreds of dollars, maybe close to a thousand.

They are testing it for prophylaxis but supplies will be limited for awhile so I doubt they will give out prescriptions preemptively.

What are the odds that travel insurance policies will cover you consulting with a foreign doctor and then filling an Rx while overseas.
Worse, is will they even be available in the other country ?

A Washington State Senator just died, a month ago he got covid in El Salvador, and El Salvador didn't have any monoclonal antibodies available.

If an "important" person like him had trouble getting the treatment drugs, I'm sure I'd be simply ignored like a normal person.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:16 AM   #218
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm booked for Mexico in February. Staying in Playa del Carmen for a week for scuba diving and relaxation.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Hoping to get to Panama and Costa Rica in late Jan and Feb though the chance of that is diminishing based on the characteristics of the new variant.

Greece via Portugal is on our wish list for 8 weeks in April-June.

Not booking any flights until a few days prior to departure. Same for in country travel and accommodations.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #220

Booked Aruba for 2 weeks in April. Business class flights yeah! Had plans to go to Ireland in September/ October but we are rethinking those plans.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote