Travel hopes for 2022

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Since our 2021 'plans' have pretty much come to naught we've reset, revised, and rethought for 2022.

Updated dream is a ship from Dubai, 'round the Gulf of Aden, through the Suez, with stops at Petra, Jerusalem, Malta, Greece, Turkey, Sicily, et al, ending in Civitavecchia......thence Trieste, Ljubljana.....and flying home from Vienna.

As we've been nowhere since the Fall of 2018, if this works out it'll be a well earned 'Blow that Dough-er' for us....whatever...it's fun to play at planning.

Last edited:
Placing my bets on hotel/air booked to Thailand Dec 2021.

Nemo, I looked at cruises for fall 2021 and most cruise lines don’t even plan on running.

Nemo, I looked at cruises for fall 2021 and most cruise lines don’t even plan on running.

The one we're eyeing is scheduled to sail from Dubai mid-March 2022. ¿Quién sabe?

Snowbird in Thailand. Mid Jan 22 for several months including time in either Australia (if open) or Vietnam. All three may still be closed....who knows?

Morocco and Portugal in spring. Greece and Cyprus in the fall 22.

I put a deposit on a Grand Canyon raft trip going in late May 2022. I was scheduled for the same trip in 2020 but...

JPM says pandemic effectively over in 40-70 daya

Well, according to a recent Barron's article JPMorgan predicts the pandemic will be "effectively over" in 40-70 days.

Reasons? Vaccines, growing herd immunity, seasonally and other factors.

If true we could have a relatively busy travel season the rest of the year.

I only found the article on Barron's, behind paywall.

Well, according to a recent Barron's article JPMorgan predicts the pandemic will be "effectively over" in 40-70 days.

Hard to believe.

DW and I are currently sitting here in a condo in St Croix. Everything is open. Masks are required and most people are complying. We are having a great time. Heading out for a culinary tour in about an hour. Getting down here we needed a neg covid test within 5 days prior then upload it into the USVI website. Hoping to meet some European friends in Southern France in the fall.

International travel will be a problem until the pandemic is "effectively over" for the rest of the world.

Cross country train trip in Canada 2022- we hope.

That one we're holding in abeyance so that (perhaps) we can do it when Europe et al are in our rear view mirrors. Get the train from here to Toronto, and then Toronto to Vancouver.

(One thing we're not short of is dreams. :LOL: )

Some friends invited us to join them on a Viking River Cruise in France in Nov '21. After doing some soul searching we decided it was just a bit too early for us. Viking has not had a cruise in over a year and there are a lot of cruise vouchers that will need to be used IMO. If Viking is actually cruising, I expect the boats to be FILLED as soon as they open up. DW has had her 1st Covid shot. Me? I'm still waiting to get called...... We won't go on any international travels until there is a worldwide "all-clear" announced. Maybe 2022?

I decided a while back to forego international travel plans, or maybe expectations is a better way to phrase it, until 2022. While I expect conditions to continue to improve this year, I can't predict how far they will go. Mainly, I don't want to travel until the risk of another lockdown is really low. In other respects, I want to travel in a pre-pandemic world. No face-masks on airplanes. Good food & service for those of us seated near the front of the plane. Museums, shops, and sidewalk cafes open normally, etc. Not sure if I will get my wish.

DM & I cancelled UK cruise in 2019 as Dad was having some medical issues & we felt she should not be away from him that long...VERY much regretting cancelling that...
DM, DD & I had Med cruise booked last May as replacement/DD's college graduation...ugh...
Got excited & rebooked UK for late June & Med fro 1st week of Aug this year...yeah, THAT ain't gonna happen...
Found a lung & adrenal mass in DM...praying for the best, we will know more Friday.
Mom's wish was to see Ireland/UK. Hoping we still get the chance to do it.

We had a Trafalgar tour of Greece scheduled for April 2020 but of course it was cancelled with Trafalgar keeping our $16,000 for credit to be used by December 31, 2022. Last year when I could see that the virus would be around for awhile I made a decision to put off all international travel until 2022 and only travel in the United States in 2021. Well here we are in 2021 and we are scheduled to get our shots on Thursday with the second to happen 3 weeks from then. Hopefully we can get away to different places around the US as early as this early summer. Still watching Greece for next May or September but they are still having around 26 deaths per day so we will watch to see what takes place there as well as keep our options open for other countries.

We had detailed plans for a trip to London and Rome last May and will simply resurrect them at the first opportunity unless that turns out to be this winter. In that case we will simply wait until Spring 2022. As a winter alternative, we might look at a third trip to Hawaii.

I have a FCC sitting on Princess. Right now, Canada will not let any ships dock. This kills the Alaska and New England cruises for this year.
I am hoping to use the FCC in 2022 if I can talk DW into going on a "floating Petri dish" as she calls it.
We live on the west coast, so the cruises can only go North or South. We have no desire to do a Mexican cruise, so it looks like up the coast to Astoria among other ports.

My travel hopes for 2022 are to stay right here in New Orleans, at home in my Dream House. But then you knew that! I just had to chime in (sorry! :hide: )

I can't think of anyplace else I'd rather be in 2022. And what luck! Staying home is the cheapest option, as well.

I keep marveling at the incredible offers I get almost daily from cruise lines. So tempting, and their copywriters are awesome at making the trips sound wonderful.

But we've talked it over and decided we've had enough cruising for a while. They were all excellent, but we feel too restricted. For the foreseeable future we'll just look at their itineraries, decide what looks the most interesting, and then go do our own traveling in those areas on our own schedule.

I can definitely see going back to cruises when we're older, but at this point we've had enough of the organized trip world for a while.

My travel hopes for 2022 are to stay right here in New Orleans, at home in my Dream House. But then you knew that! I just had to chime in (sorry! :hide: )

I can't think of anyplace else I'd rather be in 2022. And what luck! Staying home is the cheapest option, as well.

Did you and/or F decorate your homes for Mardi Gras?

I can definitely see going back to cruises when we're older, but at this point we've had enough of the organized trip world for a while.

I hear ya....but we're a little reluctant to traverse the Gulf of Aden/Red Sea on our own right now. :)

As to 'organized', we still consider ships as floating hop-on-hop-off buses.

Did you and/or F decorate your homes for Mardi Gras?

No, nobody in my neighborhood did and we don't know anybody who even drove around to look at the "house floats" that were widely publicized in the news media.

The Mayor of New Orleans (who is a Southern Californian, not a New Orleanian) thought that decorating one's house like a float was a really, *really* neat idea for some reason. I don't think that most long time New Orleanians were quite as entranced with it as all that and wondered how on earth anybody could be.

Hoping that next year the regulations can be relaxed and we can have a real Mardi Gras once again.

Oh well, at least this year we didn't have to clean up all the beads and other trash from our front lawns and storm drains, and no problems with our driveways being blocked by parade-goers. We live 1/2 block from a major parade route, but no parades or gathering in groups were allowed.

We transferred our deposits on winter 2021 snow birding to 2022. We will be looking closely at what threats exist in Feb/Mar of 2022 for 2 vaccinated 70+ year olds to travel to Mexico. Hopefully all will be good but if need be we would forfeit the down payments to stay safe. We desperately miss being there this winter. But all of our friends made the same decision, so we aren't missing out.

We had hoped to do a fall 2021 trip to Europe, as we missed doing so in 2020, but that possibility doesn't seem to be in the cards. So fall 2022? DH and I will have our 2nd shot of the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow. We were just saying we'll be happy to just go out for a drink and dinner sometime soon, something we haven't done since early March of 2020.

Last edited:
Hoping to get back to New England to visit my parents this summer but not planning much beyond that for 2021. My parents are vaccinated but we are not (yet). For 2022 we'll hopefully hit DisneyWorld for the kids' spring break and Japan in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom