Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2021, 11:01 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Seems like a good deal. Does it cover trip cancellation for family illness as well as medical evacuation?
I don't think it did, but our CC covered that so we didn't feel the need to pay more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcpa View Post
Would you be willing to share which insurance company you have this policy through?

I'd appreciate the info as a way to start my research. Thank you.
Sure,
I went through InsureMyTrip.com , they sell lots of travel insurance.
I find their website a bit odd, for example if a person is not interested in trip insurance (because the credit card covers that), one needs to say their trip cost $0.

The actual policy I got was Trekker Essential plan, what was important to us was medical coverage (even if secondary to our medical) and evacuation coverage.

Of course the last one I got, I went deluxe and got the $400 version called:
GeoBlue Trekker Choice insurance plan. As we planned a bunch of travel.
Then we only got 2 trips done by mid-January before Covid hit
Old 03-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

We always have out of country medical/evac insurance when we travel.We have been very fortunate. In over 45 years of out of country travel we have only used it once. A few years ago in Kuala Lumpur. $850. med bill.

Cancellation? Only had two cancellations in 45 years. One was a Priceline hotel that we gave up in order to leave early. $50. expense. The one other was a China trip that had to be cancelled a few years ago. Full amount re-imbursed by our credit card cancellation insurance coverage.

Now, retired, pre covid most of our travel with last minute...booked within a week or two with the exception of cruises that are typically booked four-six weeks out. So cancellation insurance is no a big issue for us at this point in time.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:46 AM   #204
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I are seasoned travelers, and we only travel internationally when airfares are really, really low. And we plan and book all our rooms ourselves--no organized, expensive tours.

The only reason we would buy trip insurance is for the medical coverage out of the U.S. But our Medicare supplement does provide coverage albeit limited coverage elsewhere.

Many people are concerned about the evacuation coverage, but honestly private evacuation back to the U.S. is seldom used. Most people with emergency issues can fly on scheduled airlines even if it means flying first class.

I do think it's important to get online and read the Terms and Conditions of your credit card to understand what rights you might have. It might be of service.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Any out of country medical policy that we have had always included evac.

We found a huge difference in policies based on the insurer and where you buy it. The easier it it to buy it seems to us, the more expensive and the less coverage that it has. A number of years ago my business travel TA told me not to buy any travel insurance from her agency or from a travel provider and to go direct to a carrier. She was so right.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

As I prepare to travel in 2022, I am more and more disappointed that Citi dropped their travel insurance from my Costco card.

I thought about the Chase Sapphire Preferred card but it comes with a $95 fee. The fee would is small compared to the cost of travel insurance I might choose to buy.

But.... The Costco card pays 3% cash back on travel while the Chase card pays 2% in their points.

I know what I can buy with cash but what good are the Chase points?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
As I prepare to travel in 2022, I am more and more disappointed that Citi dropped their travel insurance from my Costco card.

I thought about the Chase Sapphire Preferred card but it comes with a $95 fee. The fee would is small compared to the cost of travel insurance I might choose to buy.

But.... The Costco card pays 3% cash back on travel while the Chase card pays 2% in their points.

I know what I can buy with cash but what good are the Chase points?
I believe you can redeem for cash. But the most useful things for UR points is transferring for airline miles.

United Airline miles for instance.

You can get 80,000 points if you spend $4000 in first 3 months.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #208
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always use www.InsureMyTrip.com , mainly for the hospitalization and the medivac. Their website is great and the process is super simple. If you want you can compare various policies side by side and select what is best for your needs. Once the payment is processed you receive your policy immediately via email…