Join Early Retirement Today

travel insurance
Old 10-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

travel insurance

do you buy travel insurance when you are planning a vacation? Going on a cruise this winter and looking at insurance. If you buy insurance, do you buy it from the cruise lines or an independent third party? Any recommendations on third party insurers?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Going on a cruise in a few months. Seemed like a lot of fine print to me on the insurance that was offered so declined. But I'm opting to sign up for a short term MedjetAssist membership instead of insurance. There's I think a discount on membership for AARP (I know, a four letter word for some here ) members.

If bad weather cancels my trip, I'm out of luck. But if I get hit on the head during the cruise with falling beer bottle and want to get transfered to a hospital near my home, I should be covered.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I normally get it for trips out of the country for the medical and evacuation coverage. Not so worried about the trip costs as much of that is reimbursable if you cancel and the credit card provides some coverage as well.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The only reason I would purchase travel insurance is if I was in relatively poor physical health and if there was a chance I couldn't go on the trip due to health issues.

Those that have healthcare that's not in force outside the U.S. should consider getting travel insurance slanted toward medical coverage. I just went on Medicare, but my supplement covers me outside the U.S. Someone with base Medicare is not covered outside the U.S.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have very good coverage through work so I've never bought it however I would definitely consider at least health insurance for any trip out of country.
point839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I bought it once when FIL was near death. Had to read many policies to find one that paid for a relative's sickness or dying. I used Squaremouth to sort it out.

Have also purchased evacuation insurance when traveling in places with poor medical care.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But I'm opting to sign up for a short term MedjetAssist membership instead of insurance.
This sounds great. Wish I had known about this earlier.

+1 on making sure you have medical coverage at the very least. You can be of fair health, have all the recommended pre-travel vaccinations and still get hit with a sudden, expensive and life-threatening illness.

On the plus side, my dad's US doctors have been very impressed with the level of medical care he received in the Philippines and have told him he's lucky to be alive. Alas, you do need lotsa money to pay for said care. Mom's insurance covers out of country emergency medical but getting reimbursed for my dad's medical bills ($75K) is like pulling teeth.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I always buy it for trips out of the country .I go to "Insure My Trip " . I have had to use it four times so to me it is worth it.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I use TravelInsured.com for my international travel, including cruises. Filed one claim to get reimbursed for using the ship's doctor and got reimbursed quickly. They have different options you can choose for coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #10

I have a good medevac policy that costs less than $400 a year for two of us, and is good in the US as well.

Recently booked an expensive trip (river cruise) and they wanted something like 8% of the trip cost for insurance. No way.

The only time I've ever bought such a policy was for a special cruise where we were not given the option -- trip insurance was mandatory.

Over my lifetime, I figure I've probably saved enough by not buying trip insurance that I'll probably break even if I ever need it and don't have it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I bought it for the first time, through insuremytrip.com, and will probably do it again. I was careful to restrict coverage only to the non-refundable portions of the trip; we were flying in Business Class and although we had paid up front for the hotel, it was refundable with 24 hours' notice. My main concerns were that DH might be too unhealthy to travel, which is something we'd probably know by a few days before the trip, and also the costs of medical care in another country plus any extra costs of getting back home. (A friend who fell in her hotel room in Istanbul in the middle of the night and needed major orthopedic surgery described her trip home in Coach as "the seventh circle of hell".) Oh, yeah- and cancellation of flights due to volcanoes since we were going to Iceland!

While DH has a balance problem so a bad fall might have caused a claim, I'm 15 years younger and inclined to hike up moderate-sized mountains, go out for a run in the city, or take a trip down inside a volcano. Really, I'm probably as risky as he is but for different reasons. Well worth the peace of mind.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have only used it once, in April for our trip to Portugal. We used www.insuremytrip.com, and they were great. We only wanted a policy that would be in affect if my MIL died while we were on the trip, because she was battling cancer. The agent helped us find a perfect policy. We didn't have to use it (although she did pass - just the day before we were already heading home), so I can't comment on that part, but I would use them again if another situation arose.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Good information, we've got one out of country trip already booked for 2016, and considering a second. Just from the quick quotes available from two of the sites listed, it looks like for about $350 medical and evac coverage for the two of us can be had to cover multiple trips. From the risk/potential loss view, that seems pretty reasonable.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A medi-vac insurance plan is good for international travel. My niece had to use it to get air-lifted from the UK to FL, USA last year.

She was at a wedding party and went swimming. She jumped off a large boat, slipped on the jump due to suntan oil, and hit the railing on the deck below. All busted up. She is a stunt model for a few major movies and popular weekly shows too. It can happen to anyone.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The worst story I heard on the subject was a woman whose husband died on a vacation somewhere in Central America. No insurance, and cremation was illegal. She could either pay to ship the body home, which is horrendously expensive, or bury him there. She chose the latter. DH and I have cheerfully agreed on cremation under such circumstances. Barring that option, I think either of us would get a kick out of being laid to rest in a place we'd enjoyed together, but I could see how that would be hard on some surviving spouses.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought trip insurance via Expedia when I went to Mexico a few years back. I had a moderately serious accident during the trip in that I had to stay in the hospital for two days. It worked out pretty good, in that I didn't have hardly any out of pocket costs. I did need to file paper work and it took about 5- 6 months to wrap up, but they did eventually cover the remaining amount that my regular medical insurance didn't.
ttvjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Administrator

My BCBS health insurance covers me out of country. I always look up the in-network family physicians, and hospitals in the cities we'll be staying and make copies onto my Google Drive and iPad. For cruises I get inurance that includes medi-vac.

I don't get inurance on cancellations. In 2009 and 2010 I twice had to re-schedule flights back the UK when MIL and then FIL died. In both cases the re-booking costs were greatly reduced by the airline on producing a copy of the death certificate.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I do not purchase the usual travel insurance, the kind that pays for lost luggage, cancelled trips, transportation problems, illness before the trip, etc. I prefer to self insure those problems and so far it has worked.

I do purchase emergency evacuation insurance that will get me home from anywhere in the world (including the USA) in case I am very ill an need special care on the way. That is very costly and I prefer not to self insure the big costs.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
gone traveling

Health insurance or life insurance ?
retiredinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinnyc View Post
Health insurance or life insurance ?
We don't buy life insurance when traveling but do buy medical evacuation insurance when on cruises. My existing PPO insurance covers me everywhere we normally travel, although last year while we were in Australia we did a week's vacation in Vanuatu (direct flight to/from Brisbane) and when I looked on the BCBS website I couldn't find any in-network hospitals so we purchased medical insurance for that particular trip.