Travel Insurance Claim terms

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for some help with terminology around travel insurance claims
I recently canceled a Viking trip with third party and credit card travel insurance.
Due to walking difficulty (right hip) and discomfort I opted to cancel a trip in July to stay in the 20% cancelation bracket. If I waited until return from our current trip in 10 days our cancelation fee would go from 20 to 35% (based on time till departure).
I am now trying to understand how Pre-existing exclusion works and what words should be used when filing the claim. One policy's definition says insurance will be denied if there was any evidence of source of medical issue at date of first payment. Another policy says 60 days prior to purchase of policy. First payment was Nov 2022 when trip first booked.
I had hip replacement surgery on left hip after diagnosis in Nov 2023. Right hip arthritis was deemed mild in right hip and no action was recommended by surgeon at time. We departed on 3/17 on current trip and right hip discomfort became clear that there was a high risk of surgery for right hip but earliest it could happen is end of May.
Does the surgery on left hip automatically suggest a pre existing condition now a right hip is showing similar symptoms but no evidence of problems until now? This policy was purchased 2/12/24 as right hip had nor previously shown any hip damage at all until this trip.
What do I need to request from Doc to increase likelihood of coverage of cancellation fee.

Back
Top Bottom