Join Early Retirement Today

Travel Insurance for Electonics, such as; Tablets, Computers & Cell Phones
Old 04-05-2022, 07:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Travel Insurance for Electonics, such as; Tablets, Computers & Cell Phones

Not sure about you all but I always take at least one Tablet or One Computer (Surface Pro), and a Cell Phone with me when I travel. I am sure some folks take iPads etc. with them too.

My question is; do folks insure them for the trip?

Say one gets stolen from the Hotel/Resort Room, even from the safe, not completely unfathomable, can one get replacement insurance for that?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Not sure about you all but I always take at least one Tablet or One Computer (Surface Pro), and a Cell Phone with me when I travel. I am sure some folks take iPads etc. with them too.

My question is; do folks insure them for the trip?

Say one gets stolen from the Hotel/Resort Room, even from the safe, not completely unfathomable, can one get replacement insurance for that?

Thanks in advance for the information.
I'm sure that someone sells it. I have never bothered. But then again I have cheap tracfones and fairly inexpensive laptops.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I only insure for large risks, nothing as trivial as my phone or tablet. Deductible on the homeowner insurance is IIRC $5000. Car deductible is max available. IMO insuring small risks is not cost-effective. YMMV of course.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No. We only insure for large risks.

My 4 year old Moto cell phone cost $120. My 3 year old ipad less than $400. I travel with both. Same with DW's cell and ipad.

Both depreciated substantially the moment I took them out of the box and signed on.

Loosing one would be much more of an inconvenience than it would be a loss. Indeed, it could be an opportunity...to upgrade to newer tech!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Another thought: Your toys are probably insured already under your homeowner policy. Check with your agent. You can probably get maximum coverage by buying the minimum deductible available under your policy and (wild guess) the extra cost will probably be less than buying a stand-alone policy.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I was just curious about what other did or didn't do. I have never insured them to date.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't insure them, but I do think about how much I'm taking with me and what it would cost to replace.

Phone $150
camera $400
laptop $200
binoculars $200

I do minimize the amount I bring, so I'll bring the cheapest laptop I can and now I only bring 1 camera, my phone has a camera on it I can use if the camera battery died.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I never even thought about it. Just leave it on the desk where I was using it.

Haven't had anything stolen from a Hotel / Motel ever.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Instead of insurance, I consider the electronics I take when traveling to be in the "Blow That Dough" category - I have multiple phones, tablets and laptops and I use one set for traveling. They are cheap but functional. Between applying gift cards to purchases and receiving some as gifts, I have spent less than $150 for them. The laptop is a 10 inch with keyboard, and I have a compact bluetooth keyboard I can use with either the tablet or phone. My main uses and talk, text, web browser for local attractions info, and maps, so this works well for me.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I don't insure them, but I do think about how much I'm taking with me ...
I carry a more costly kit, but for most travel the replacement cost of the kit is a single-digit percentage of what the trip is costing. Not a big deal.

I just read my homeowner policy and it appears that I have $3K coverage for the hardware and $1K for data recovery, however that might work. I'm sure I could increase that for a fee. DW's diamond is separately insured for 0.04% of its value, so I suppose insuring the electronics would be similar. I won't bother with that, though.

What I do think about is the contents of the phones and the tablets. No financial information of any kind. No bank phone numbers, no bank apps, no payment apps, no bank bookmarks, and of course no logins or passwords. Our only exposure is because Google Play insists on having a credit card number, so we are exposed to that extent.

The only financial information that I have on any digital device is on my Surface Pro, which stays at home either docked at my desk or, for longer trips, locked in my gun safe.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We have travel jewelry. Anything of value, sentimental or otherwise, gets stored in our safe deposit box before we leave.

The travel jewelry is just inexpensive things that we do not care about. A $15 waterproof Casio plastic watch for me.

Camera, ipads are several years old. Replacement value is probably 10 cents on the dollar. No need for insurance.....especially insurance like ours that has a deductable well in excess of the value of these items combined.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When carrying around our super expensive high end camera equipment on numerous photography trips way back when we had a specific camera insurance policy from Chubb. But no, we don’t bother insuring laptops iPads, iPhones etc.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, insure for what you can't afford to replace. Heh, heh, my computer is 8 years old and my phone cost $80 (android clone, I guess.) I wouldn't want to lose them 'cause of the stuff inside would be hard to track down again. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote