Join Early Retirement Today

Travel Plan 2023
Old 01-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Travel Plan 2023

As of 2 days ago, I had no idea where to go this year. Then, I got the idea of catching a repositioning cruise from the US to Europe, then continue the trip on land before flying back to the US.

The Atlantic crossing will take more than 1 week, something I have not done before but read about the idea by Nemo (who does not frequent this site anymore). I am not a habitual cruiser, and this is only my 4th cruise but also the longest one, but I can use some relaxing time.

My last 3 European trips involved so much driving that I decided to give myself a rest this time. I am now planning what to do once I disembark, but there are so many places in Europe I have not been to, it should not be a problem.

Previously, I alternated by taking a long RV trek one year, then a long European trek the next. I should be taking the RV in 2023, but am going back to Europe again this year. I guess I am afraid I may get old too soon for more rigorous international travel. The RV will have to wait until later.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent idea NWBound. I’m curious what time of year you’re planning to travel?

We’re still in the discussion phase of where to go this year. Odds are I’ll be in Europe end of April for a family event. I’m tempted to visit Asia, since we haven’t been since…well now I can’t remember. I’ll have to look it up later, but it was probably in 2017.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Tentatively Thailand/Malaysia in Feb/March.

Morocco in either the spring or the fall. Four or five weeks.

I may do an organized tour in India. Spouse not interested so I will go single.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Excellent idea NWBound. I’m curious what time of year you’re planning to travel?

We’re still in the discussion phase of where to go this year. Odds are I’ll be in Europe end of April for a family event. I’m tempted to visit Asia, since we haven’t been since…well now I can’t remember. I’ll have to look it up later, but it was probably in 2017.

Trans-Atlantic cruises are typically repositioning cruises. Cruise lines take the ships from the Caribbean to the Mediterranean from April to June. For the winter, they take the ships from Europe to the Caribbean in October or so.

If I go late in June, after the cruise I will head to northern Europe to avoid the heat. It could ruin my vacation.

Nemo was fond of taking a cross-Atlantic cruise because he said he had the time, and it was way less expensive than first-class or business airfare. I am checking this out to see if it will work for me.

PS. Cunard runs many trips between NY and Southhampton with no stops, and it's not repositioning but more like a shuttle. It takes 7 nights for the crossing,

PPS. What I am afraid of is that being at seas for several days in a row, I might get bored. Or I might eat too much and lose my girly figure.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-07-2023, 04:05 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mexico for February and March. Colorado and New Mexico for June with the travel trailer. DW is researching a couple of weeks in Portugal for fall.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Relative went from Barcelona to San Juan Puerto Rico this past December. Seemed late for a repositioning cruise, but I guess not!
Old 01-07-2023, 04:45 PM   #7

Trips planned for 2023:

A week in Mazatlan in early April with my BFF and my sister. (DH will stay home with the pooch.)

Then Mid April-Mid May we are going to Italy: Sicily to visit husband's cugini, ferry to Genoa for a week hiking Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, and Milan. Older son is seeing if he can join us for the Cinque Terre portion.

Younger son is likely doing a semester abroad in Florence or Turin in the fall... We'll probably go visit him while he's there... because, well, it's an excuse to go back to Italy.

2024 I'm in early planning stages for a trip to Cambodia, Thailand, and Japan.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:47 PM   #8

We were planning on a canal boat trip on Canal du Midi (south of France) with about 14 of our good friends. We had RT vouchers from Virgin atlantic so booked a month about 300 days out. then all the boats on the Canal trip got booked for our week. So we are pushing that trip to 2024. And we are wide open now. We have a deposit from last year on an Ireland tour that got cancelled. So we'll probably try to put that together with a side trip to Scotland. And then Paris....because that is always the right answer
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my dear elementary school friends I vacationed with every summer died unexpectedly in October. In honor of her memory ( she constantly berated me for putting travel off until retirement) I am taking my dream cruise 3 years early - originally scheduled for after retirement. 13 night Holy Land Cruise on Royal Caribbean. I have zero expectations and just want to relax and enjoy the ride!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I took a 13 day repositioning cruise on royal Caribbean and we had 8 sea days. There was so much to do that we were never bored. I am going to Zurich, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague for 11 days in April and then in 2024 going to France for 11 days.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quick trip to New Orleans-already completed.

Trip to Kauai sandwiched by a week of sports/family/friends visit to Texas. This will cover February.

Then a basketball regional in March-TBD

Next some sort of Europe trip in May or a return to the British Virgin Islands.

If summer travel is crazy again we will likely stay close to home and go to theatre, music shows and local events.

June we have a wedding in Nashville

October going to Tennessee for a week or so.

If we do not do BVI in May then maybe Greece in Sept/Oct

With family in Texas for Christmas.

That is the outline.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:39 PM   #12

Where can one find out about repositioning cruises?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

This is hopefully going to be a big travel year for us. In spring we are planning six weeks in Eastern Australia and Tasmania followed by six weeks in Asia — Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore. We’ll come home for the summer and do some weekend camping trips with extended family. Then in fall we will spend two months in Europe split between the Lake Como area in Italy and Nice, France.

The Australia/Asia trip will be constantly moving from place to place. But for the fall Europe trip we have booked Airbnb apartments for 4 weeks each. We’ll get to see and do a lot on the first trip, and slow travel for the second one. I like traveling both ways but I know that as we get older we may slow down a bit, so we are trying to do the more adventurous trips sooner rather than later.
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Where can one find out about repositioning cruises?
Most cruise lines have them

You can get an overview here, on the left select the region either Transatlantic or Transpacific near the bottom of the drop down.

https://www.vacationstogo.com/
Old 01-08-2023, 12:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - maybe we will be on the same ship, as I've been thinking of this too. .

We did a TA from Barcelona to NY with stops in Portugal and Halifax Canada, it was about 5 days at sea.
The beauty besides being cheaper than 1st class is sleeping in a bed and zero jet lag. Personally I'd prefer to go both ways by ship, but it's harder to schedule.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This will be my 1st repositioning cruise with so many days at sea. I expect to see a lot of geezers on board. Who else has that much time to spend on a ship?

The longest cruise I have taken was a 7-night trip late in the year, and most of the travelers were 60+ on that trip because it was not peak summer travel. Worked great for us, because there were no rowdy young'uns like I have seen on these Carnival ships, a cruise line I would never use for the above reason.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:22 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Caribbean cruise, a month in Arizona, Alaska cruise + additional 10 days there, Shenandoah Valley.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I will be interested to hear about your repositioning cruise NW. DW and I have long thought one of those or a standard cross Atlantic cruise might be fun,

This year we are going to Antarctica at the end of the month; a bike tour in the Italian lake country in June; and a beach week in the Outer Banks in late July. With the triple-demic roaring we plan to wear masks on our flights to the Antarctic cruise and got a second bi-valent Covid booster.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

No definite plans yet, this may be the year we do our NE Fall foliage tour with friends. It was cancelled due to covid a couple years ago.
Possible drive trip to California.
Week at the coast with kids and grands again, or possible Great Wolf Lodge for a few days.
Starting to plan 2024 trip to Maui--we are taking the whole family, a definite BTD.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We just finished a Caribbean cruise and have another set for next month. Heading to Raleigh, NC for a wedding in May. Other than that, we’ll just be traveling between our Florida condo, our Pennsylvania main home and our Jersey Shore home. My health isn’t allowing me do do anything adventurous.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote