Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2022, 04:42 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So this morning I received a email confirming a car is picking me up at 11 am tomorrow and driving me to a hotel in Dublin. I doubt that I will be able to sleep tonight. I am going to have a wake up call just in case.

I have been checking to see if I can pay to select my seat because I get up every 2 hours to use the bathroom and keep from getting blood clots. Not only was there a few aisle seats left but some also gave you priority boarding and 6” extra leg room. It costs 145 which includes both flights and well worth the money. Hopefully this fiasco comes to a on time ending.

I am guessing my driver won’t have any snags as it costs between 800-1000 to have this service. I looked at the prices when I was considering taking myself home earlier.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So this morning I received a email confirming a car is picking me up at 11 am tomorrow and driving me to a hotel in Dublin. I doubt that I will be able to sleep tonight. I am going to have a wake up call just in case.

I have been checking to see if I can pay to select my seat because I get up every 2 hours to use the bathroom and keep from getting blood clots. Not only was there a few aisle seats left but some also gave you priority boarding and 6” extra leg room. It costs 145 which includes both flights and well worth the money. Hopefully this fiasco comes to a on time ending.

I am guessing my driver won’t have any snags as it costs between 800-1000 to have this service. I looked at the prices when I was considering taking myself home earlier.
Best wishes for an uneventful and safe trip home!
Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
A friend was returning from Ohio to Bangkok. If he and his wife were to fly from Ohio the ticket price was to be $10,000. They booked a flight out of Newark for $3,000. Two of their flights were canceled. They eventually arrived in Thailand 3 days later.
Thailand will be a challenge for us if our planned snowbird trip happens.

It typically takes us three flight segments to get to BKK. One short hop to the west coast and then two longer ones. It would not take much of a flight delay to be stuck in any one of two airport locations for a day or two.

Looked at the fares last week...they are up, up, up.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:45 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Apologies if you need a Fidelity account to access this but it's a Reuters article on the Fidelity site.

https://www.fidelity.com/news/articl...2OA1T6-OUSBS_1

Briefly, it's about how much luggage is piling up, going astray and getting delayed by a week or more because there aren't enough ground handlers. The number of cargo handlers in Europe in 2020 was about half what it was in 2019. No estimate of current values. Air Canada is handling about 120,000 passengers per day now compared to 23,000 a year ago.

I'm gonna take a few changes of clothes with me in my carry-on when I go to E. Europe. I'll be gone a month so I can't completely avoid checking bags. :-(
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Apologies if you need a Fidelity account to access this but it's a Reuters article on the Fidelity site.(
If that doesn't work, here it is on the Reuters site:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...el-2022-06-29/

Quote:
Flowers said there is no one explanation for the lost baggage, which is rather the result of staff shortages and flight delays that have created a "spiral effect," resulting in cases of passengers waiting up to seven days to get their bags back.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #166
Dryer sheet aficionado

What a nightmare! And rental cars are extremely expensive too. I lucked out on a recent trip to Chicago and am thankful.
RandomPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Update on my Peru travel insurance claim:

I think I'm going to get fully reimbursed on July 1. I was thankfully able to get American Airline to confirm via a Twitter direct message that my flight had been canceled due to weather. [The insurance company had denied my claim based on a false and unspported statement that my flight cancelation was due to "overbooking."] I made the screen shot of my DM into a PDF - thankfully I had specified the flight and date when requesting the information, not just my locator number - and uploaded the PDF to the portal.

When I got home last night, I found yet another notice of denial of claim on my portal, dated after I had submitted my prooof. So I thought I was going to have to call them up and have a go-round with them about this. But today in the afternoon I first got a notice from Zelle, the online payment company, that I had 4 days to register and claim my payment. I thought at first that it might be a scam, but then I got a brusque email stating that my portal had an update. When I checked the portal, there was a one word update that my claim's status had been changed to "paid." Then I got a couple more emails about the payment, the last one stating it would be in my account on July 1.

So - am hopeful I see the money on Friday in my account. The whole experience was bizarre. I was supposed to be offered the choice of a paper check or a Zelle payment, but all I got was a notice that Zelle had the money, and I had to sign up to receive it. (The signup took place through my bank's website, and was legitimate.) Why the lie on the denial in the first place? If I hadn't been able to get the airline to confirm weather as a cause, would
they have paid up? And why continue the denial and then reverse it? Was it a bot? An automated denial?

I do not need to travel again this year. And I don't think I will!

What lessons can even be learned? I had booked myself 36 hours ahead. I had purchased expensive travel insurance. One lesson - ask whether non-availability of flight crew leading to a flight cancelation is a covered reason. Ask whether getting bumped is a covered reason. Either print or save to PDF your boarding passes - they disappear from your airline app if you don't use them. Make sure the airline gives you a reason for cancelation.

Well, I will update one more time when I see the money.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm glad that it worked out, Pellice. It's hard to have much faith in the travel insurance industry when they are working so hard to not pay.

I still have my Peru trekking trip this fall. Feels like a roll of the dice.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Athena, there was a lot of luggage laying around in Dublin when I arrived. Someone on our tour never got there’s and the airline has no clue where it is.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #170

Dear TT,

I am glad things are sorted out for you. We hope you will be better soon.

Our last two trips were cruises round trip from LA. NO airports

We were supposed to fly to Reno for our son's birthday, but with all this chaos we decided to cancel.
We will be sending him a nice birthday check, however.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:10 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Put an Apple Airtag in your luggage and if you use an iphone, you will be able to know where the luggage is, even if it's in a different city.

It will help you walk right up to your bag if it's in the airport where you are located.

I wish Apple made the app for Android, and I'd buy a set of those airtags.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:53 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Souschef, I took a cruise from San Francisco to Alaska for that very reason. We rode the mega bus cheaply from Reno and spent the night. Much better than flying. Reno’s airport has been very busy. Good choice on your part). I have really appreciated all the support from this forum during this stressful time. It’s been unsettling being in a foreign country alone especially when I am used to traveling with a partner.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:49 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Put an Apple Airtag in your luggage and if you use an iphone, you will be able to know where the luggage is, even if it's in a different city.

+1. DS did this when he thought he’d have to check his luggage because of weight. Fortunately he didn’t.

I haven’t checked luggage for years. It makes travel a lot easier. If you pack smart, it’s not a problem regardless of trip length, since you’ll need to do laundry at some point anyways.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:25 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It will help you walk right up to your bag if it's in the airport where you are located.

Great idea. I would have never thought of this. I have not flown in a while but in the last 4 times I flew, 2 of the times my luggage was delayed by several days.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:58 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Athena, there was a lot of luggage laying around in Dublin when I arrived. Someone on our tour never got theirs and the airline has no clue where it is.
Yes, Dublin was mentioned in the article but I didn't want to point it out and alarm you- you've been through enough!

I appreciate others' recommendations of Apple Airtags. A local electronics store carries them and I will be getting them before my trip to Europe. ETA: I'm taking my granddaughters to Chicago in October and I bet they'll get a kick out of tracking our checked bag(s), too.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 06:09 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tile is the device I have seen for Android that is most compared to Apple airtags. Here is a review that compares the functionality of the two: https://www.pcmag.com/news/airtag-vs...uld-you-choose
Old 06-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Tile is the device I have seen for Android that is most compared to Apple airtags. Here is a review that compares the functionality of the two: https://www.pcmag.com/news/airtag-vs...uld-you-choose
I have a Tile device in my wallet and on my key chain. It has saved me a lot of problems. How they compare with Air Tags, I cannot personally say. But, there were no Air Tags when I first purchased Tile. I may switch as I have mostly Apple equipment. The idea of paying Tile $30 a year of extra services is annoying, especially since i have to replace several of them every few years since the battery cannot be changed.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Thailand will be a challenge for us if our planned snowbird trip happens.

It typically takes us three flight segments to get to BKK. One short hop to the west coast and then two longer ones. It would not take much of a flight delay to be stuck in any one of two airport locations for a day or two.

Looked at the fares last week...they are up, up, up.

There’s now a direct flight from Vancouver to BKK. As you suggest, they’re not cheap.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I have a flight in November with Air Canada.

I got a long email from them saying they tried to prepare but they still couldn't meet the incredible demand there is right now.

So they are canceling some flights in July and August.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:04 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

My hotel forgot my wake up call even after I told them why it was important. Luckily I set my cell alarm and woke up every 2 hours all night long. I went to the lobby at 10:30 for my 11 am ride and he was there 5 minutes later. Very talkative guy so learned lots about Ireland in 4 hours. He told me to be at the airport 6 hours early. When I checked out of the hotel they wanted me to show proof that the tour company was paying my expenses. He said to show a email. I told them the hotel told me that they received the email directly from the tour company last week per their front desk person. I told them to call my tour guide and take it up with her. No way I would have stayed for a week if I was paying for it.