Travel to Georgia in July: Pine Mountain area

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
Planning a summer get-together with all the kids and grandkids (age 4-13). They are spread around Florida to North Carolina, so I'm trying to find a midpoint location so nobody has to drive more than 4 hours. Pine Mountain, GA seems to fit. There are a number of interesting VRBO's and Airbnbs with availability in mid-July. Anybody out there have recommendations or experience to share regarding this area? What can we expect in July and what sort of activities are available to entertain children and adults? None of us golf but we all like outdoor activities.

Callaway gardens and Callaway gardens and Callaway gardens..it will be hot .

Yup, Callaway gardens is what you want to see. It will be hot and humid but that's July in the south. Rent bikes and ride the paths. If you have kids and/or nature lovers, they will love the butterfly house.

The butterfly house might be one of the coolest places on earth..

Are you talking about staying a weekend, or is it going to be more like a full week?

If it's a full week, have you considered staying up in the North Georgia Mountains? That's where so many Floridians go on vacation.

We have kept a RV outside of Helen since 1995, and our daughter grew up there. Little did I realize that at 70 years old I'd again be tubing the Chattahoochee with the grandkids--after a 20 year absence.

There is incredible trout fishing in the area, and the Appalachian Trail is on the mountain above town @ 4500' elevation. Waterfalls are all over the place. It's also 10 degrees cooler at the higher elevations. We never run out of things to do there.

Callaway gardens and Callaway gardens and Callaway gardens..it will be hot .

Little White House (FDR's 2nd home) is also a nice visit in that area. Columbus has a nice riverwalk too, and some manmade white water rapids you can try.

There's no way I'd go there in July, however, but I'm only an hour and a half away. Agree that N. GA mountains are a much better visit then, but that's another 2 hours+ north.

Last edited:
If they are spread across FL and NC, then GA won't be any hotter than they expect.

Stay above the gnat line (I grew up in south Georgia and still remember all the extra protein I got from all the gnats).

We stayed a few days at the State Park, visited the FDR house and our Grandson loved the Safari tour...

If they are spread across FL and NC, then GA won't be any hotter than they expect.

From experience I can tell you that the humidity in the Columbus area is higher than the ATL in July, and probably a lot higher than NC so it's not just the heat. FL is certainly a wash.

The safari is a blast but may be a little intimidating for the 4 year old. Not sure if your into commercial activities but Great Wolf Lodge is in LaGrange. My grand daughter absolutely loves it. Many activities for all ages. We live to far away to make it a day trip and usually spend 2-3 nights there, but if you have a cabin rental or something, you can get a day pass for the water park. Add paw passes and you have a full day of activities for every age. A bit costly but great activity for kids and doesn't wear out the adults.

We also went horseback riding at Roosevelt Stables. Our then 9 year old granddaughter had ridden before but her also 9 year old friend was new to riding. They guide was very patient with them and both had a great time.

Callaway Gardens is very nice but in July you are better off heading to the Mountains.....Look at Western North Carolina/Asheville.

Cooler and so much to do (Biltmore, hikes, winery, Grove Park Inn, BBQ, outlets, Chimney Rock, Lake Lure, etc. etc.)

Also, the Floridians can fly non-stop to Asheville from Orlando at low fares.

(Save Callaway for spring/fall....and eat the grits when you go. Good stone mill grits!)

:LOL:LOL the actual question was what is there to do and see in PINE MOUNTAIN area..not where should we vacay

Stay above the gnat line (I grew up in south Georgia and still remember all the extra protein I got from all the gnats).

Are you sure the extra protein didn't come from all those Love Bugs? They make a mess on cars--and the acid in those little double bodies eat car paint.

Callaway Gardens is very nice but in July you are better off heading to the Mountains.....Look at Western North Carolina/Asheville.
grits!)

So agree. Unless poster is renting a cabin with a pool for the kids to play in and never leave the pool or ac of the cabin, south Georgia is not the place. I know it is not what was asked, but were it me, I would appreciate the info.

I believe that the gnat line is at the fall line across GA - north of Macon, Columbus no gnats.

Seriously North GA is wonderful in the summer. You need to get up in the Blue Ridge mountains at least.

Back
Top Bottom