Travel to Western US

Highly recommend Glacier NP. Later in the summer actually works perfect for this area. Probably our favorite NP based on some great memories of family hikes and wildlife viewing. If you want to see bears you can almost be guaranteed that at Glacier. Our two most favorite hikes are Grinnell and Iceberg Lake. My avatar is a picture taken from the Grinnell glacier hike.

Second choice would be Yosemite. That may be my personal favorite....hence my namesake. Beautiful!!!! And special in an almost religious way. The valley is a temple surrounded by granite cathedrals. It will be crowded is the downside. But you can still find good places to stay. And the hiking trails aren't as crowded as the popular roads and viewing areas. You can also combine a trip to Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon NP with Yosemite if you are there long enough. Both these are very nice as well.

I get excited just thinking about it. And I enjoy reading everyone else's ideas also. I'm now fired up to revisit Utah although I agree an earlier season trip would be better for this area.

Muir

Unless you feel you have to stay in the States I'd suggest you consider the Canadian Rockies. Base yourself in Banff and there's no end to the gorgeous terrain and wildlife you'll encounter.

+1
For a summertime trip, this would top all of the other suggestions IMHO.
I didn't know Canada was on their radar. Maybe it should be.

With two weeks, you are certainly not restricted to one state. The four corners area of Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico provides a lot of area including Santa Fe, NM, Durango and Silverton Colorado with the narrow gauge train, river rafting, Mesa Verde, Moab, lots of fly fishing, Jeep tours especially in Moab and Ouray CO, horse back riding, the Grand Canyon isn't too far, and on and on. When our kids were small we would do those trips in a van with a pop-up camper. We would leave the camper at a camp for a few days and go from there and then we could move to another camp farther along the journey.

Unless you feel you have to stay in the States I'd suggest you consider the Canadian Rockies. Base yourself in Banff and there's no end to the gorgeous terrain and wildlife you'll encounter.

Gorgeous area and the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is the most beautiful drive I've ever done.

Another vote here for Utah, especially Moab area but also a swing thru Brice area.

You can't go wrong with visiting Lake Tahoe and the surrounding area. Flying into Reno, NV or Sacramento, CA. You can see so much in a 3 hour driving distance....truly amazing.

Back
Top Bottom