Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Like many of the others, I am a New Balance guy as well. They are comfortable, reasonably priced, and stylish.

The one piece of advice I have on those is that once you find a number (the shoes may have a model number like 603, 802, etc.) that works for you stick with it. One time, I went from a 600 level to an 800 level, thinking it may be better, and it actually didn't work for my foot as I discovered a few weeks later.
ModestNestEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

"...go to a local running store, not a chain. Take your old pair. Usually they can tell a lot from tread wear what kind of shoe you should wear..."

yep. They should ask questions/ do quick assessments along the lines of...
Do you have any foot or joint pain/issues (knees/hips/plantar fasciitis/etc.)?
What is your weight (they will be able to look at you, almost certainly won't ask)?
high/low arch?
pronation/supination?

They will be able to recommend an appropriate pair of walking shoes based on your feet. What I wear and works for me may be totally inappropriate for you.

Road Runner Sports has a pretty good interactive assessment on-line which is easy to use and will probably get you very close to an appropriate shoe, but visiting a local (not chain) running shoe store staffed with knowledgeable people is a really good idea.
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The OP didn't mention having any feet/leg/back issues they might be fine at Scheels.

If you go JT route which is a great suggestion your shoes might be a little more costly, but if you any foot issues at all it will be money well spent.

I had a one-off case of PF which was horrid and it took me forever to realize the value of the "right" pair of shoes.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

I like Mephisto for casual and for something a bit more dressy, Allen Edmonds.
phishrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar approach
Old 10-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When a pair of running shoes no longer has the cushioning I want for running (usually around 500 miles or so) it gets downgraded to "around the house and neighborhood" shoes. So I go through a pair of NBs at least once a year
Funny but I do exactly the same thing except I add a third step. Running shoe becomes walking around shoe and lastly a work shoe outside in the yard. Personally I have great luck with Asics, NB, and other name brands that I buy after those models have been out a year or two, and I'm usually able to get good quality running shoes for about $40. The wife swears by Skeechers as do many other people.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Super shoes
Old 10-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Super shoes

If you have a SUPER SHOES store nearby you, check it out. Extremely helpful, and awesome selection. Good Luck.
KT1R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

Skechers GoWalk are an excellent walking shoe for women. Soooooo comfy and they make attractive models too. Not like big old clunky sneakers. I don’t know if they make a men’s line.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:58 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

I agree. ALTRA SHOES are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn. You can find them at REI Or similar store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Altra Lone Peak 5. Lightweight trail hiking shoe that feels like you’re wearing slippers.
Tessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

It does not matter what anybody on this forum likes.
Everything about you, foot shape, problems, the way you walk, your size, weight, stride, speed is unique to you.
All the major brands make good shoes.
Here is the best advice you will hear.
Buy them at a place where you can return them if you do not like them.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I agree with others here - - your shoes are about as personal as anything else you will ever buy, and you need to buy the ones that work for you. Go to a running store, or buy online if you can return for a full refund with no shipping fees.

I wear Teva Tirra sandals which are as wonderful (FOR ME) as any shoe could be here in New Orleans. They fit all the irregularities of one's foot shape perfectly due to a million velcro straps. They don't shift or even budge on my foot so I feel as nimble as a mountain goat in them. They are waterproof (and it's always raining or flooding here). They dry off quickly and look good.

Before I discovered Teva Tirras, I wore New Balance which were also very nice. They absorb water more, though, so my feet always felt a little damp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (39.9 KB, 51 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:49 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Well, since my youth I have always worn NB running shoes, because my feet are short but very broad across the instep. I buy from discount sites. It seems my size can't be that unusual, as it always sells out very fast. And we are talking "sale" and "discount" prices of $100 and up.

Unfortunately, when I can get my size, the color choice is extremely limited. As in, very light blue, or gray. That is better than the white, though! If I could only get white shoes, I would paint them.

As for younger people making fun of older ones, that has always gone on. Nobody likes old people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
The younger generations make fun of retired people who wear New Balance shoes.
Specifically the cheap all white ones. It is a meme.
Yes, I really like New Balance tennis shoes. Primarily, because they can be purchased in wide sizes, that my big clod hopper feet need to be comfortable. I think comfort is way more important than cool.
That being said, I stay away from those dorky all white versions (They are not cool).
Take care, JP
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I agree with others here - - your shoes are about as personal as anything else you will ever buy, and you need to buy the ones that work for you. Go to a running store, or buy online if you can return for a full refund with no shipping fees.

I wear Teva Tirra sandals which are as wonderful (FOR ME) as any shoe could be here in New Orleans. They fit all the irregularities of one's foot shape perfectly due to a million velcro straps. They don't shift or even budge on my foot so I feel as nimble as a mountain goat in them. They are waterproof (and it's always raining or flooding here). They dry off quickly and look good.

Before I discovered Teva Tirras, I wore New Balance which were also very nice. They absorb water more, though, so my feet always felt a little damp.

A mountain goat huh that's good to hear for someone that's been in a sick bed for weeks. I might have to get a pair of those shoes...
Old 10-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish1 View Post
Looking for some recommendations for a mens shoe brand for European travel/walking etc? Anyone have a favorite?
Personally I have used Reebok walking shoes when walking or traveling, and they have been fine for me over the years. It was great for walking throughout Jerusalem (if you have ever walked through the Old City, you know how important it is to have comfortable walking shoes there ).

But, as other have said, it is best to go to stores and test them out. I am fortunate having 2 "factory outlet" malls containing stores from almost all of the athletic shoes brands with 45 minutes of our home. DW and I went years ago going around to all the stores to try the brands. I settled on Reebok, DW on New Balance.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

"...Nobody likes old people...."

I'm tempted to start a poll
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishrsp View Post
I like Mephisto for casual and for something a bit more dressy, Allen Edmonds.
Needless to say, I'm extremely impressed. A member for 9 years and just now making your first post here. Your restraint is awesome!

But now that you're here, why not introduce yourself more formally?
We'd be happy to get to know you and we really don't bite.

Hi, I am...
Old 10-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Needless to say, I'm extremely impressed. A member for 9 years and just now making your first post here. Your restraint is awesome!

But now that you're here, why not introduce yourself more formally?
We'd be happy to get to know you and we really don't bite.

Hi, I am...

They must really, really like those shoes...
Old 10-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to wear Merrill but I swear they changed the fit a few years ago. Since then Columbia is my favorite. I have a fairly narrow heel and so most brands just don’t fit me well. Again as others have indicated it’s a very personal decision, sort of like buying a mattress.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
I used to wear Merrill but I swear they changed the fit a few years ago. Since then Columbia is my favorite. I have a fairly narrow heel and so most brands just don’t fit me well. Again as others have indicated it’s a very personal decision, sort of like buying a mattress.
Check out Salomon shoes as well. From the pair or two I've tried, they had narrow heels. That was awhile ago and they could've changed too.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubamax View Post
I used to wear Merrill but I swear they changed the fit a few years ago.
Okay, so it is not just me then!
Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I think I made a thread about it some years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT90505 View Post
"...Nobody likes old people...."

I'm tempted to start a poll
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote