Trip Insurance --- To Alaska?

with a cybertruck, maybe the moose would just fly over the top?

Yes. I did not mention it, but actually we have often bought evacuation insurance. We'll typically do it in non-OECD countries like Vietnam and Ethiopia. Where logistics and language barriers could be an issue, my interest in evacuation insurance is primarily to have someone with country and logistics expertise on our team.

In Norway and Italy, for example, we did not buy evacuation insurance.

(FWIW, one thing to know is that everyone advertising evacuation services is not an insurance company with consequent state financial scrutiny and regulation. Read the offering materials very carefully.)

We do the same. But...
A few months ago we were on a multi-stop river cruise in France, 120 passenger ship for 10 days.
DW and I both came down with Covid at the same time, fast. What we needed was simply a clinic to get us Paxlovid. NOBODY in the crew spoke enough medical english to fully understand our problem. Finally found one officer who didn't really understand, but cared enough to keep trying until he got us an appointment, arranged a cab, etc in the port. When we got there the doctor was friendly but she too didn't speak english. Finally got a phone translator with her to handle the language, then she started to prescribe something that wasn't Paxlovid and I never was able to identify it as any recommended treatment. I wrote Paxlovid on her note pad and she looked puzzled, started searching on her computer and it was obvious from her actions that she'd never heard of it. Eventually she wrote a prescription and sent us to the pharmacy across the street who knew about Paxlovid but didn't have any in stock. After calling five other pharmacies, she found one that delivered the drug there in the evening, so we did another round trip in the cab and got the meds about bedtime. Rapid improvement after that but still confined to cabin for the next 5 days in brutally hot weather with little A/C.
We had been to France many times over many decades, and thought of France as a modern industrialized country, in Rouen 100,000+ pop; but language and information problems can happen almost anywhere...

Last edited:
DW and I both came down with Covid at the same time, fast. What we needed was simply a clinic to get us Paxlovid. NOBODY in the crew spoke enough medical english to fully understand our problem. Finally found one officer who didn't really understand, but cared enough to keep trying until he got us an appointment, arranged a cab, etc in the port. When we got there the doctor was friendly but she too didn't speak english. Finally got a phone translator with her to handle the language, then she started to prescribe something that wasn't Paxlovid and I never was able to identify it as any recommended treatment. I wrote Paxlovid on her note pad and she looked puzzled, started searching on her computer and it was obvious from her actions that she'd never heard of it. Eventually she wrote a prescription and sent us to the pharmacy across the street who knew about Paxlovid but didn't have any in stock.
Anyone traveling to a non-English speaking area should consider a phone app translator that has voice features. There are many free available apps like Microsoft Translator, Google Translate, TripLingo, SayHi, etc. They come in handy for a variety of situations.

Cheers!

Anyone traveling to a non-English speaking area should consider a phone app translator that has voice features. There are many free available apps like Microsoft Translator, Google Translate, TripLingo, SayHi, etc. They come in handy for a variety of situations.

Cheers!

Not to divert the thread, but I agree having a phone translator is now something I consider essential (like pants) when packing.

I download the language, so don't even need cell service/data in the country.

While I haven't had to use it for medical issues, it has been great even to read historical signs (which are often in the local language only).

I have read through the various threads and looked at the various Internet sites. With all the companies, options, and price variations, I simply am confused.:banghead: My wife and I are planning to go to Alaska next summer for about ten days---not on a cruise and after flying in to Anchorage we will be on land all the time. I figure the cost in the $8,000 to $9,000 range. In looking at various options, trip insurance runs from about 9% to 16%+ of the trip costs. That really seems pricy to me. :(

My main two questions: 1) are there absolutes I should have for trip; and 2) are there companies with good reputations and companies that I should avoid?

Just a note, we are both in our 70s and in good health with Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield Supplemental.

Thanks in advance. :bow:

After reading through this thread I thought I would chime in with my thoughts. I work in a rural, critical access hospital in Alaska so deal with patient medevacs in the normal course of the work day. It's not clear to me if you are looking for insurance just for potential medical reasons but I am proceeding as though that is the question you are asking.

First, I'm not sure where all you are traveling to in Alaska but even though you are staying on the road system it is possible that you would require an air medevac depending on your condition. So, it isn't exactly like traveling in the lower 48. If either of you had symptoms concerning for a stroke or heart attack etc, no matter where you are you would likely need a medevac. Air medevacs can cost up to $100 K so, if it were me, I would at least want to be certain I've covered myself for that possibility.

Second, Anchorage does have several large hospitals that deal with everything lower 48 state hospitals do. So a condition requiring subspecialty care that necessitates a medevac to the lower 48 would be statistically very, very unlikely. ( a little less unlikely for kids, which is the population I take care of).

Lastly, if it were me, and all I was worried about was requiring a medevac (which, trust me, is not that far fetched) I would simply buy a year's membership to Lifemed and Gaurdian - these are two of the three air ambulance services. Each of Alaska's three air ambulance providers offer a membership program that ensure patients aren't billed directly for services. That is, if you have insurance, you are guaranteed not to get a bill over what your insurance pays. That would be a much more affordable solution. A yearly membership to Lifemed is $50. I believe Guardian is $75 for those over 60. Check the details, but I'm fairly certain both of those covers the whole household. So for $125 you are both covered for those two services. I am not familiar with the 3rd company (we don't use them) but I imagine their yearly membership is also very reasonable. If you choose this route, cover yourself with all three.

BUT, If you are looking to have an air ambulance pick you up and transport you to anywhere you want in the country, like a facility close to home, just because you want to and not because a doctor deems it necessary, you will need one of the (much, much) more expensive options.

To clarify even further regarding the pain issue, say you fracture your forearm and need surgical correction, you would be splinted and given oral pain meds and would be sent off in your car (or commercial flight) to the hospital (assuming someone could drive you). If you fracture a hip or femur, those are medevaced as it is impossible to travel in a sitting position comfortably. So pain is taken into account but only to a certain degree. Air ambulances are a resource we use judiciously as to ensure they are available for patients where time is of the essence or the patient requires monitoring by medical professionals (these teams are fantastic and very highly trained).

That was probably way more than you wanted to know. Enjoy your trip! Alaska is an amazing state with amazing, very hearty people.

Here is a link to an Alaska Public Radio article describing the three different air ambulances used in Alaska and discusses the membership option:

https://alaskapublic.org/2019/08/22...ka's three air,t billed directly for services.

Edited to add: I meant hardy people, although hearty is also applicable!

Last edited:
Good point. We will be going as part of a guided bus tour and not driving ourselves. Our Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield should cover the usual things, just as it would in the continguous states. However, if I were just driving aorund, I would not be putting up about $5,500 for the trip, plus another $1,600 for a couple of nonrefundable airplane tickets, plus probaby a couple of motel nights coming and going to the airport. It would not be a financial disaster if we had to cancel last minute, but it would be painful to see several thousand dollars go. Then it is also a bit painful to by 10% to 15% or more of the trip cost for travel insurance. That is why I am looking for guidance. Thanks

You might want to consider a MedJet membership. That would take care of getting you from a hospital to home in the event of a major issue. Medicare will take care of ever up to that point.

We have been to Alaska numerous times, both summer and winter. No issues with available medical care. Your airline tickets may be non refundable, but most of the time you get a year to use the credit if you have to cancel the flight.

I carry a global medical policy. GeoBlue Trekker and MedJet membership. Other than few sinus infections, never had to use them.

Good luck and enjoy the travel. I drove from Krakow, Poland to Budapest, Hungary today. Snow & Rain.

Attachments

• IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 1
After reading through this thread I thought I would chime in with my thoughts. I work in a rural, critical access hospital in Alaska so deal with patient medevacs in the normal course of the work day. It's not clear to me if you are looking for insurance just for potential medical reasons but I am proceeding as though that is the question you are asking.

First, I'm not sure where all you are traveling to in Alaska but even though you are staying on the road system it is possible that you would require an air medevac depending on your condition. So, it isn't exactly like traveling in the lower 48. If either of you had symptoms concerning for a stroke or heart attack etc, no matter where you are you would likely need a medevac. Air medevacs can cost up to $100 K so, if it were me, I would at least want to be certain I've covered myself for that possibility.

Second, Anchorage does have several large hospitals that deal with everything lower 48 state hospitals do. So a condition requiring subspecialty care that necessitates a medevac to the lower 48 would be statistically very, very unlikely. ( a little less unlikely for kids, which is the population I take care of).

Lastly, if it were me, and all I was worried about was requiring a medevac (which, trust me, is not that far fetched) I would simply buy a year's membership to Lifemed and Gaurdian - these are two of the three air ambulance services. Each of Alaska's three air ambulance providers offer a membership program that ensure patients aren't billed directly for services. That is, if you have insurance, you are guaranteed not to get a bill over what your insurance pays. That would be a much more affordable solution. A yearly membership to Lifemed is $50. I believe Guardian is $75 for those over 60. Check the details, but I'm fairly certain both of those covers the whole household. So for $125 you are both covered for those two services. I am not familiar with the 3rd company (we don't use them) but I imagine their yearly membership is also very reasonable. If you choose this route, cover yourself with all three.

BUT, If you are looking to have an air ambulance pick you up and transport you to anywhere you want in the country, like a facility close to home, just because you want to and not because a doctor deems it necessary, you will need one of the (much, much) more expensive options.

To clarify even further regarding the pain issue, say you fracture your forearm and need surgical correction, you would be splinted and given oral pain meds and would be sent off in your car (or commercial flight) to the hospital (assuming someone could drive you). If you fracture a hip or femur, those are medevaced as it is impossible to travel in a sitting position comfortably. So pain is taken into account but only to a certain degree. Air ambulances are a resource we use judiciously as to ensure they are available for patients where time is of the essence or the patient requires monitoring by medical professionals (these teams are fantastic and very highly trained).

That was probably way more than you wanted to know. Enjoy your trip! Alaska is an amazing state with amazing, very hearty people.

Here is a link to an Alaska Public Radio article describing the three different air ambulances used in Alaska and discusses the membership option:

https://alaskapublic.org/2019/08/22...ka's three air,t billed directly for services.

Edited to add: I meant hardy people, although hearty is also applicable!

I ended up going with Allianz for a yearlong coverage. The total cost was $485. It covered some trip insurance (costing $419) and $66 for assistance, which was my main issue. The trip cancellation and trip interruption has only a maximum benefit of $2,000 each. More important there is coverage for travel delay and for baggage loss and delay. Most important is that emergency transportation coverage is $500,000 and emergency medical/dental is up to $50,000 (but only for something very serious, including death), with a sublimit for the dental of $750. Travel accident is maximum of $50,000. I think my Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield supplement covers most of the medical but may not cover all a medical evacuation. In good part, I wanted the insurance because there supposedly is someone to reach out to for help in case there is an emergency---even if some of it may not be fully covered. The entire document of coverages, definitions, limitations, qualifications, etc. is about 40 pages long. I appreciate your and all the other guidance on this thread.:flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom