Trip Insurance --- To Alaska?

bookman51

Recycles dryer sheets
I have read through the various threads and looked at the various Internet sites. With all the companies, options, and price variations, I simply am confused.:banghead: My wife and I are planning to go to Alaska next summer for about ten days---not on a cruise and after flying in to Anchorage we will be on land all the time. I figure the cost in the $8,000 to $9,000 range. In looking at various options, trip insurance runs from about 9% to 16%+ of the trip costs. That really seems pricy to me. :(

My main two questions: 1) are there absolutes I should have for trip; and 2) are there companies with good reputations and companies that I should avoid?

Just a note, we are both in our 70s and in good health with Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield Supplemental.

Thanks in advance. :bow:

If you're driving around Alaska I don't see why you'd need trip insurance. You've got medical and I assume you'd cover the rental somehow, right?

Alaska is just like any other US State in terms of regular travel, so I'd consider it like going on a trip to Florida or New Mexico. Would you insure that?

We have been to 40+ countries and never bought trip insurance. Given its high cost, we don't think it is cost-effective. An uninsured loss wouldn't be a financially catastrophic event for us.

If you didn't have BCBS but more of a local network ACA policy, would the answer be the same now?

We plan to do a drive in Alaska in the coming years and I was always wondering how medical might be.

Just pay out of pocket for the small stuff and if you break a leg, it is covered under the emergency anywhere of most (all?) ACA policies?

If you're driving around Alaska I don't see why you'd need trip insurance. You've got medical and I assume you'd cover the rental somehow, right?

Alaska is just like any other US State in terms of regular travel, so I'd consider it like going on a trip to Florida or New Mexico. Would you insure that?

Good point. We will be going as part of a guided bus tour and not driving ourselves. Our Medicare and Blue Cross-Blue Shield should cover the usual things, just as it would in the continguous states. However, if I were just driving aorund, I would not be putting up about $5,500 for the trip, plus another $1,600 for a couple of nonrefundable airplane tickets, plus probaby a couple of motel nights coming and going to the airport. It would not be a financial disaster if we had to cancel last minute, but it would be painful to see several thousand dollars go. Then it is also a bit painful to by 10% to 15% or more of the trip cost for travel insurance. That is why I am looking for guidance. Thanks

We have been to 40+ countries and never bought trip insurance. Given its high cost, we don't think it is cost-effective. An uninsured loss wouldn't be a financially catastrophic event for us.

You have been fortunate. My wife and I have traveled to Europe several times with no problems. However, in recent years we have some horror stories from acquantances who had major health issues in other countries. The costs of getting back, for example, can be astronomical. Not too worried about health care in Alaska. Thanks

As you have seen, travel insurance is expensive, so you're not likely to find a good policy at a lower price. Also, as tmitchell pointed out, Alaska is not a foreign country, just another state. I wouldn't bother looking for insurance. My feeling is that if you can afford such a trip (and it sounds great), you can deal with whatever comes up.

The only insurance that may be valuable is medical evacuation insurance.

That's a very good point, but I would only recommend it in some circumstances. If you'll be on an organized tour in fairly civilized places, I wouldn't bother.

But some years ago we were in a group staying at the Denali Lodge deep in the middle of Denali NP. One of our group had his back go out on him and he couldn't deal with the extremely bumpy bus ride back out of the park. So on the advice of a doctor in the group, he got a helicopter evacuation to a hospital in Anchorage. He had evacuation insurance, so it wasn't a problem, but I shudder to think what that would have cost otherwise.

You can get good emergency evacuation insurance for only a few hundred bucks, so that would be something to consider.

... However, in recent years we have some horror stories from acquantances who had major health issues in other countries. The costs of getting back, for example, can be astronomical. ...

The only insurance that may be valuable is medical evacuation insurance.
Yes. I did not mention it, but actually we have often bought evacuation insurance. We'll typically do it in non-OECD countries like Vietnam and Ethiopia. Where logistics and language barriers could be an issue, my interest in evacuation insurance is primarily to have someone with country and logistics expertise on our team.

In Norway and Italy, for example, we did not buy evacuation insurance.

(FWIW, one thing to know is that everyone advertising evacuation services is not an insurance company with consequent state financial scrutiny and regulation. Read the offering materials very carefully.)

It might just evacuation insurance we need. Any companies good and any companies to avoid? Thanks

It might just evacuation insurance we need. Any companies good and any companies to avoid? Thanks
Here is some info: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/medical-evacuation-coverage/ Quite amusing, the author uses the word "insurance" repeatedly but the two recommended firms do not seem to be regulated insurance companies.

We have used Travelex, which as a company has a big international footprint, but since we have never had a claim it's hard to know whether that was a good choice.

We have never considered this kind of insurance in the US. We can afford a chopper ride if it becomes necessary. But yes, that gravel road to the resort in the middle of Denali Park is a back breaker! :(

If you have a ACA policy, is something like medical evacuation insurance needed?

What scenario would you need a medivac that was not covered under emergency care that is required to be covered by ACA?

If the local hospital cannot treat you and it is a life threatening emergency, isn't the transport considered part of the ongoing emergency care?

A classmate of mine, who lived in Portland, was on vacation in Hawaii with his son. He broke his spine scuba diving. No evacuation insurance. Quadriplegic. He took his life weeks after the accident.

I am not sure that evacuation insurance would have made a difference as he would not have accepted life as a quadriplegic.

I do know that Kaiser medically evacuated a patient who was badly injured in an automobile accident from the Bellingham area to OHSU in Portland with a stay along the way at Harborview.

In general your health insurance should cover transportation to the nearest appropriate hospital but transportation back home is rarely included.

Last edited:
Right. But a plane ticket isn't very expensive. If you have to be medivac somewhere on a helicopter and are in a US state, I think your ACA policy has to cover it.

Ah but aircraft transport with paramedics ... I would check on that.

Ah but aircraft transport with paramedics ... I would check on that.

I guess it would depend on the orders of the doctor or hospital. If it is required for emergency care that a paramedic goes with you I am guessing it would be covered under ACA.

We get the annual Medjet evacuation insurance. It's about $425/year for the two of us. Thankfully, I've never had to use it but their spin is that they transport you to "the hospital of your choice" rather than their choice.

As for regular trip cancellation insurance, we haven't bought that yet since the cost is about 10% of the cost plus there is a deductible. I don't book cruises 6+ months in advance although obviously something could go wrong at the last minute.

But for instance, on a 10K vacation, the cost of trip insurance and the deductible could be around 20%.

We do always get medical insurance as our Medicare only pays 50K overseas total -even though 50K goes a lot further on meds than in the US.

If you get medical insurance and you have pre-existing conditions, buy it as soon as you make your first reservation (hotel/cruise/flight). Many companies will not accept your condition if it's more than a few weeks after the initial reservation.

My exact answer, especially for a relatively inexpensive domestic trip like Alaska. If I had purchased travel insurance for all our trips I'd be broke! I've never needed it on endless international trips we've taken. Even if we lose money by canceling our next trip I'll still be money ahead.

Odd's are you won't need it. These travel insurance companies are in business to make money, just remember that.

We were in Alaska last Summer for a couple weeks.

My advice. Get your VRBO or hotel reservations now! We made reservations about a year in advance and supply is very limited.

We flew into Anchorage. Stayed a couple days. Then out to Denali and then down to Kenai. Not too many places to stay.

Went day hiking in Denali … awesome. Out on a boat for a day trip to see whales and glacier in Kenai … awesome.

The zoo in Anchorage is nice and stays open late.

Watch out for the moose. Was out for a trail run, came around a corner and a large moose was standing in the trail. I backed away and continued my run in the other direction.

And we have never purchased trip insurance by the way.

Last edited:
We were riding snowmobiles here in Washington state when I saw a pile of brown golf balls on the snow. I got off to investigate, asking my wife what the heck? and she pointed to my left, about 30 feet away a VERY large adult moose staring at me. I quickly got back on my sled and ran away.

Watch out for the moose. Was out for a trail run, came around a corner and a large moose was standing in the trail. I backed away and continued my run in the other direction.

A few years ago DW was doing the half marathon in Anchorage when they had to suddenly create a detour and reroute the race a little. You really don't want to tangle with a moose!

We buy evacuation and extra medical insurance for via insuremytrip.com for a year, cost is about $400 for all trips less than 70 days.

Also use a credit card like Chase, that has trip insurance so if miss flight, delayed bag, get sick before the trip, it should (like any insurance) pay out.

I'm of the mind that paying 10% trip insurance over time will be more than any losses we have.

Get the insurance! On our trip to Alaska on day four I tripped and broke my shoulder. We were on a land tour and thankfully near a local hospital. If we were in Denali I would have to be airlifted to Fairbanks. Trip insurance covered 100% and even reimbursed me for the one day I missed on the trip. Medical flights can be $30k+

Back
Top Bottom