Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Trip report for Austin, TX
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Trip report for Austin, TX

6 days in Austin at the end of Feb this year for a quilt show at the convention center.
Austin used to be a funky town. That is disappearing. It is becoming Seattle-ified---lots of new, very high-rise businesses and condos downtown. The highways are in good shape. All other streets are falling apart. If you can find parking on the street, you are a better man than I am. Texas has a brilliant invention of access roads: one or two lane roads on either side of a highway. Beware the toll roads. Google maps has an option to avoid toll roads!

The downtown restaurants cost more than they are worth (IMHO). Also, too loud for conversation. The food trucks on 1st Street/Cesar Chavez east of I-35 are still my favorite, but only covered seating outdoors at best. Brisket is good most places. Ribs are a gamble. Go early, before noon, for the good places. They sell out.

We like to go to Donn's Depot, east of downtown, on Monday nights. We know the Monday artist. Beer, wine and popcorn only (get there early for the popcorn). Buy food next door.

There are several YouTube videos showing lots of things to see and do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the town is filling up with foreigners from the West coast. Hopefully, they will not spread their wings to other Texas towns. LOL!

I think it's due to the cheap water and nice places for homeless to roost. (although the Governor has not been too happy with the roosting)
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Believe it or not, we saw fewer homeless than we see in our little town, considering the size differences.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oops. Donn's Depot is west of downtown.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yeah, the town is filling up with foreigners from the West coast. Hopefully, they will not spread their wings to other Texas towns. LOL!

I think it's due to the cheap water and nice places for homeless to roost. (although the Governor has not been too happy with the roosting)
And to think they don't even complain about Texas property taxes and the rising prices of real estate in the Austin area.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
And to think they don't even complain about Texas property taxes and the rising prices of real estate in the Austin area.
Yeah, they just brag about not having any state income tax burden.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Texas has a brilliant invention of access roads: one or two lane roads on either side of a highway.
Ed, I guess it is just me not being from Texas but I cannot stand the access roads. They cause a lot of needless U-turns instead of just getting off an exit and hitting the shopping centers. I always seem to need to get off the main roads an exit early and make a u-turn. Gets old
fisemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisemper View Post
Ed, I guess it is just me not being from Texas but I cannot stand the access roads. They cause a lot of needless U-turns instead of just getting off an exit and hitting the shopping centers. I always seem to need to get off the main roads an exit early and make a u-turn. Gets old
I liked those U-turns. A lot better than sitting at lights making two lefts.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yeah, the town is filling up with foreigners from the West coast. Hopefully, they will not spread their wings to other Texas towns.

+1