Turbulence

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We've seen the report of the extreme turbulence experienced by the planes coming into DC on Thursday. DW and I happened to be flying into Detroit from LA on the same day, and it was bumpy due to the snowstorm, but nothing like that.

But it did remind me of the worst flying day of my life. It was in November 17, 1989 and I was flying from Elmira NY to Newark, to catch a plane to Atlanta.

In those days Continental was flying twin engine Beeches for short hops, this one had maybe 20 seats. I was sitting in the back. Instead of flying straight to Newark we stopped in Binghamton to pick up some people. This was because Newark was limiting incoming flights due to the weather.

On the way we hit some bad weather and we were all over the sky. Up, down, up, at times you could hear the plane being rattled with hail. In front of me was a flight attendant being shuttled to Newark for a flight out of there, and we hit one huge down draft. She turned around to me and said "wow, I've never been in a bump like that", and she didn't look happy. Then people started barfing.
I was in those days a nervous flyer, so I was terrified but not pukey.

So the plane smells like vomit, and some folks are actually screaming things like "we're going to die", and the pilot comes on to tell us we've been sent into a holding pattern and will be holding over Newburgh NY until we can land. And then it got worse. And we lived like this for another 40 minutes or so.
For some reason they only had a little curtain separating the cabin from the cockpit, and they left it open. I was sitting in the middle seat in the back row so I could see into the cockpit, see out the windshield and could also see what looked like a radar screen which was entirely green.

After we landed, and we were deplaning I was the last person off of the plane and the crew were standing near the door and I said "Boy, I bet your glad that's over with" and the pilot said. "oh, we're going back."

The next day in Atlanta, I read that an identical aircraft, flying from Buffalo to Newark had to make an emergency landing in Albany because something wasn't working right after a big bump, and tragically, that day, while we were bumping around above Newburgh, a tornado hit an elementary school in Newburgh and 7 children were killed.

Interestingly, to me, is that day cured me of my nervousness about flying. I guess I came to realize just how tough those planes are. But I'm still happy when I see those twin engine jet commuters instead of those two props.

Flew from Toronto to Ottawa, circa 1971, on the now defunct CP Air; there was a lightning flash right outside the window, all the lights went out, the plane lurched violently, and someone loudly mentioned the name of a well known religious figure.

Then we continued on our way.

Wow, HadEnuf! I've never had anything like that. My worst was a very sudden drop on the ascent after take off in clear air. Very sudden drop, the kind that makes you happy to have a seat belt, because you'd be upstairs if you didn't.

The pilot came on later and apologized for it, saying he thinks we hit the wingtip vortex of a military plane that took off 1 minute before.

As for those old turboprop planes. Yeah, those were the days. Some of the short hops had really small Beechcraft planes. You could literally poke the pilots. I had one very nice flight at night were we were "crabbing" on landing in a light, but sustained crosswind. The lady across the isle started screaming upon seeing the runway lights and realizing our alignment. Me and another passenger had to calm her down!

After 9-11, these are now just memories. No more visibility into the cockpit.

Got caught in a downdraft on (of all things) a 747 between SFO and Kennedy around 1972 or 1973. Everyone was strapped in, including the attendants, as we had been lurching unpleasantly for 15 minutes at least. Suddenly we dropped, and everything went flying.

Not sure how long it lasted, but stuff was floating around the cabin for what seemed like 30 seconds. The pilot came on after we got out of the pocket to explain what had happened and to reassure the passengers there was no problem and we would be landing on time in New York.

I was maybe 19 so it didn't really bother me. Made for a good story, though.

I remember a particularly rough flight Boston-> Minneapolis->KC. Most airlines are shut down but this flight is going home.

The seatbelts signs on for the entire flight, before landing I head to the lavatory. Flight crew gave me a nod OK. There's a crew dead heading somewhere right outside the lavatory.

About the time I get everything flowing it gets to another level of turbulence! Great my arms about 4 inches to short for an effective brace and I get thrown around a little. I'm done and cleaned up.[emoji12] As I'm standing in the doorway braced by both my arms, the crew's joking around with me when we hit the mother of all air pockets! A crewmember grabs me and helps me down it their row.

So I'm now locked in and I've never seen turbulence this bad, neither had this crew! The one's making a remark about level 4 or 5 (?)turbulence and you can tell because liquid freely flows out of a cup. An aborted landing on the first go round. When he put that thing down, there was a feeling of drifting sideways down the runway a couple hundred miles an hour.

Every bad flight did make me more comfortable. However if I'm never on a plane again that's OK.

To set this up, Van Nuys CA airport lies directly under the final approach path for the Burbank Airport. I was flying a very small single engine plane in the pattern, when all of a sudden WHAM! the plane goes every which way but loose!
After I recovered, I looked to my right to see a jet landing at Burbank. What happened was the wake turbulence from the jet sank and hit me as I was going past it. It was an experience1

In 1986 we were in a turboprop from Cleveland to Toronto with our 5 month old son on our lap. The plane hit turbulence and stuff started flying out of the open storage space overhead. I had to hold on to the little guy with both arms to keep him from becoming a projectile. He loved it, of course.

About 10 years ago, I was on a my way home from Las Vegas on a plane that felt like a roller coaster. Heard a flight attendant calling down the aisle "we need more barf bags back here!" Yuck:sick:

1988, Fort Walton to Memphis on a NWA DC-9. I'll never forget hitting a downdraft and smacking my head off the baggage bin above me in what seemed like smooth air. And I had my seatbelt on, just obviously not tight enough. Taught me to wear my seatbelt at all times when flying no matter how smooth the air seems.

My adventures have been pretty mild compared to previous posters.
Worse was coming in for a landing and it had snowed a couple of inches, I suppose the pilot was from a warmer area, as the pilot was experiencing a lack of depth of field perception, due to everything being bright white.
We hit the runway hard, but other than a big jolt, nothing gave way and we rolled to a safe stop.

Spring 1988. Aer Lingus Boeing 737 early morning flight ORK-LHR. They used to serve a full Irish breakfast with rashers and sausages, brown bread and preserves, coffee and tea served out of silver pots.....those were the days!

Anyhow, this flight normally takes 1 hour but often there is a holding pattern at Heathrow. We are on the top layer of the holding pattern. It’s been a lovely flight and we are enjoying our freshly brewed coffee......wham! The plane rocks violently, sending breakfast in all directions. Are we going down? There are multiple yells of “Jesus Mary and Joseph!” etc.

After the dust settles, the Captain comes on the intercom and explains that the “bump” (he is a master of understatement there) was due to a Pan Am 747 coming in to land a little too close to the holding pattern and getting us caught in its wake vortex.

One reason why I like to land at quieter airports when possible.

Last edited:
My worst was a small plane from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon for a day trip. Going in the morning was fine but I guess the heat from the day causes turbulence so the ride home was terrible. People were barfing, but thankfully, I was able to wait until I got off the plane. The only think that kept me calm is that I could see the pilots and they were just chatting away like nothing was wrong (one talked with hand expressions). I figured it they were that calm, this must be normal. Of course, normal doesn't take the place of calm or being on the ground, but it helped.

the heat from the day causes turbulence so the ride home was terrible.

My first ever flight, circa 1961, from Alice Springs to Wyndham, Australia, in a small Beechcraft Bonanza, wherein for the initial leg there were just the two pilots and me, we suddenly dropped around 150' (and we weren't that high up to begin with); I went "Whoa", but the pilots assured me it was just an air pocket and that that happens all the time.

I think that initial experience (somewhat) helped me in subsequent situations.....I think.

Back in 1972 I was flying home to Hawaii for Christmas. Out over the Pacific we encountered a bit of unexpected turbulence. I was walking towards the restroom, since there was no "fasten seatbelt" sign at the time.

When we hit the turbulence, the heavy drink+snack cart that one of the stewardesses was wheeling down the aisle, went airborne for at least 20 feet and struck me from behind just before I got to the restroom. It knocked me down, of course! I got up and like any 24 year old I was more embarrassed than anything. The stewardess had gone flying too but she got up from wherever she landed and asked me if I was OK (more embarrassment from my point of view). Made it to the bathroom without further incident, went back to my seat, and that was that. I didn't even tell my parents about it for a few days because I didn't think it was that important. They did and chewed me out for not telling them.

So, that is my turbulence story. I guess I could also tell you about the time that turbulence ripped the door off a Piper Cherokee in which I was passenger, in Waimea Canyon back in 1966, but that's for another time.

Last edited:
Back in 1972 I was flying home to Hawaii for Christmas. Out over the Pacific we encountered a bit of unexpected turbulence. I was walking towards the restroom, since there was no "fasten seatbelt" sign at the time.

When we hit the turbulence, the heavy drink+snack cart that one of the stewardesses was wheeling down the aisle, went airborne for at least 20 feet and struck me from behind just before I got to the restroom. It knocked me down, of course! I got up and like any 24 year old I was more embarrassed than anything. The stewardess had gone flying too but she got up from wherever she landed and asked me if I was OK (more embarrassment from my point of view). Made it to the bathroom without further incident, went back to my seat, and that was that. I didn't even tell my parents about it for a few days because I didn't think it was that important. They did and chewed me out for not telling them.

So, that is my turbulence story. I guess I could also tell you about the time that turbulence ripped the door off a Piper Cherokee in which I was passenger, in Waimea Canyon back in 1966, but that's for another time.

Wow, you could have been seriously injured by a flying service cart! And I can’t even imagine the terror of having a door ripped off! I can certainly understand why you don’t want to travel.

Years ago (1980's), I was flying from Heathrow to Cork, Ireland one morning and I was sitting next to an older gentleman who was dressed in a business suit as I was. We were chatting and I asked him how far back to set my watch to be on the right time in Cork. He calmly said "about 20 years". :LOL:

OK, after 35 years of business travel and 3 million + airtime miles, I have lots of stories about bad weather, bouncing around, things flying around the cabin, etc., but I won't bore you all the details.

All I know is flying is over for me now!! (unless absolutely necessary).:dance:

Years ago (1980's), I was flying from Heathrow to Cork, Ireland one morning and I was sitting next to an older gentleman who was dressed in a business suit as I was. We were chatting and I asked him how far back to set my watch to be on the right time in Cork. He calmly said "about 20 years". :LOL:

As a Corkonian, I do NOT find that funny!

Wow, you could have been seriously injured by a flying service cart! And I can’t even imagine the terror of having a door ripped off! I can certainly understand why you don’t want to travel.

Well, that type of thing is not very frequent. I traveled nearly continuously with my family as a kid, so among other methods of transport I was on countless flights with no turbulence whatsoever. So, I'm not especially frightened by incidents due to turbulence.

I have to admit that I am glad I was young and strong. If something like that happened to me now, I'd probably be crippled for life. As for the door being ripped off, what scared me at the time was that my boyfriend was in the seat next to the door and I was afraid he would fall out. But he didn't.

Mostly the reason why I don't want to travel, is not turbulence - - it is that I like the (fairly new to me) experience of finally having a home, a place that is set up exactly like I want it to be. My favorite foods, a bed that is comfortable to me, beautiful (to me) decor, quiet, privacy, hobbies, and so on. I doubt that anyone who travels a lot truly relishes the prospect of getting from point A to point B, with the TSA, the screaming kids, the lack of leg room, and so on. And since I have already been so many places I am just not motivated to put up with that to see any more.

Last edited:
I doubt that anyone who travels a lot truly relishes the prospect of getting from point A to point B, with the TSA, the screaming kids, the lack of leg room, and so on.

Which is (almost) exactly why we grab transatlantic repositioning cruises to get to/from Europe.

Which is (almost) exactly why we grab transatlantic repositioning cruises to get to/from Europe.

There are many different ways to travel, and I think that these days almost any of them are preferable to flying. Ah, for the days back in the 1950's when flying was luxurious, people were pleasant and even dressed up to fly, and the experience was so much more enjoyable. Oh well. Anyway, no matter how I might travel, I'd rather be right here at home.

There are many different ways to travel, and I think that these days almost any of them are preferable to flying. Ah, for the days back in the 1950's when flying was luxurious, people were pleasant and even dressed up to fly, and the experience was so much more enjoyable.

It was great, for those who could afford it.

Yes, and not that many could. Flying today is really a misnomer, most of the time it is really long distance "very fast bus with wings" travel, with all the accoutrements and corresponding humanity. For many people it is an advantage they did not have 3 decades ago.

I have more of these "extreme turbulence" stories than I like to count, but the one thing most of them have in common is that they usually took place over the North Atlantic in winter.

But I can guarantee that they all fade into relative insignificance after you've been in a plane when people were actively trying to shoot you out of the sky!

The media was out of control with the "turbulence" stories. A don't think too many people have actually experienced "extreme turbulence". That level is defined as, "Turbulence in which the aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. It may causes structural damage." If it's forecast or reported, almost ALL operators are prohibited from entering it; obviously with really good reason.

In the many years of flying professionally, I never experienced "severe turbulence" (as defined). Severe turbulence? A few times...and that wasn't any fun!

I haven't done an updated comparison to see if the proportionality still applies, but in January 1963 it was cheaper for me to catch an ocean liner, (six weeks travel, all food, accommodation, plus stops in various ports), from Melbourne, Australia, across the Pacific to Southampton, England, than to fly steerage.

Back
Top Bottom