Umbria?

Gumby

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have only been back from Venice for 3 weeks and I'm already getting anxious for another Italian trip. This evening, we discussed the possibility of staying at an agriturismo in Umbria and making short day trips around the region. Sadly, we won't be going until next April.

Has anyone 1) stayed at an agriturismo and/or 2) been to Umbria? Any advice on either would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ilcasaledegliamici.it/

We stayed here. Fabulous place. Great hosts, made us feel like family! Great views. Great dinners. Nice 45 minute trip up mountain to see more incredible views and real sheep herders. Nice little town with great food and monks that brew beer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

About five years ago we stayed at an agriturismo in Lucignano (west of Umbria, east of Siena) with German friends. Huge three-story house divided between us and the Italian family – three generations. They had some crops, but also a nice vineyard. Accommodations were fine and included a beautiful pool. Family spoke no English or German; we spoke no Italian. Finally discovered we all could do some French. They gave us wine and were great hosts.

That general location is perfect for day trips. All of Tuscany to explore. The western shore. Siena. Assisi. Florence. More, more, more. We even took the train to Rome for a couple days with the German kids.

Bottom line – do it.

Thank you both for the suggestions. The young wife and I really love Italy. We've been 6 times in the last 7 years, although it has recently been the case that we stay in one city (Florence, Rome, Venice) for a week and see the sights there. I think it will be a good change to stay out in the countryside.

No problem. PM me if you want more details and pictures.

Visited Umbria about 17 years ago. I stayed at an organic farm run by a relative right outside the little town of Gubbio. The food and the people were great. It was very relaxing; not a whole lot to do but I just wanted to have a nice quiet vacation with good food, good wine and friendly people and that's what I got.

We stayed in Lucca but friends stayed in such a facility. They had a rented car and met us for the day in Siena. We hired a driver for that day (there were 5 of us renting a penthouse just inside the wall in Lucca). They loved it.

Lucca is great too. Not as touristy as Pisa.

Never heard of "agriturismo" - sounds wonderful! Something my sister and I might enjoy as our husbands aren't traveling much these days. Thanks for the idea!

Lucca...very interested in finding a place to stay around Lucca..but must have 2 bedrooms & 2 bath...(for 2 couples) would you share the name or access to info to the place you rented? Italy sure is beautiful! Thanks!

Taken day trips to Umbria but didn't stay there. Bit of a long drive but do-able from Siena.

I didn't like Perugia that much but Assisi is nice. Been to some other towns but can't recall them much.

In that general area, there is Montepulciano, Pienza, Orvieto. More than the type of lodging, the location, one that lets you easily reach these places, could be more important.

I've looked at agriturismi but generally preferred bigger towns with a nice square to hang out in in the evenings.

There are just so many hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria worth visiting and revisiting.

Perugia:

Attachments

• DSC_4920.jpg
    DSC_4920.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_4904.jpg
    DSC_4904.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 13
Assisi

Attachments

• DSC_5038.jpg
    DSC_5038.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_5043.jpg
    DSC_5043.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_5001.jpg
    DSC_5001.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Montepulciano:

Attachments

• DSC_5162.jpg
    DSC_5162.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_5143.jpg
    DSC_5143.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_5130.jpg
    DSC_5130.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 11
Pienza:

Attachments

• DSC_5198.jpg
    DSC_5198.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_5179.jpg
    DSC_5179.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_5196.jpg
    DSC_5196.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_5206.jpg
    DSC_5206.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 11
We have been to Italy a number of times. We usually use train and one way car rental.

We have had great success with agritourisms. You need to be aware that the prices and accommodation vary greatly. We had success with two good ones-one just outside Orvieto and another outside Siena. We have also had a fabulous one in Douro, Portugal last year. There are many affordable family hotels and B&B's as well. No need to stay in an expensive hotel. In Sorrento, we stayed in Piano Sorrento in a villa operated by nuns. Fabulous place, right on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

For Umbria, Marche, and Tuscany we usually start in Venice or Florence, then rent a car as we leave the city. Often it is a one way rental. We typically stay for 3 or 4 days and make it a base for travelling around the area. We keep being drawn back to Italy and often stop there on the way to somewhere else. Many of these towns seem very different at night when many tourists have gone.

Our advice is don't try to see it all at one time. Stay in one place for at least three nights, more is better. Use it as a base. But don't drive madly about. Really take the time to enjoy a particular area. We would also not recommend staying somewhere like Florence and using it as a base. Get out and stay in the countryside or in a small town.

One last item...VERY IMPORTANT. It could save your marriage/partnership. Before you go, buy a GPS that has NA and European maps. Garmin has a fairly inexpensive one for about $200. We have used in Italy, Greece, UK, Turkey...you get the gist. Invaluable. Much better than getting one from the rental car agency. And buy a good road map over there-much better price and availability than in NA.

Last edited:
Or use a smart phone and get a data plan.

Costs way less than getting a redundant device in a GPS if you have an unlocked smart phone already.

Umbria is wonderful. I haven't tried agroturismo, but it's all the rage now in Italy. We were just talking about it this weekend in my Italian language class. Orvieto and Gubbio are super nice. Perugia is not that interesting, but it does have spectacular gelato. Orvieto is my iPad wallpaper,

I recommend Spoleto, a hill town with wonderful views, the site of an annual music festival, an interesting local cuisine, all nicely preserved with lots of winding roads and small footpaths to take you through the city. Also an impressive aqueduct outside town.
Some of the towns recommended here, Lucca, Montepulciano, are in Tuscany, which is adjacent but usually considered more touristy, more crowded than Umbria, but also wonderful.
I've lived in Rome, Genoa, Florence and just love Italy.
I would urge that instead of an agriturismo venue that you find a rental in or very near a town. One of the joys of Italian life is the morning espresso bar, the evening passeggiato, meeting people, and walking to restaurants, stores, train stations. I would not want to be isolated on a farm where you have to drive everywhere.

Last edited:
We stayed in an agritourismo in Chianti (north of Umbria), in 2011, and loved it. It was so relaxing and peaceful. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom