Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

United Airlines Labor Day sale
Old 09-01-2021, 02:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

United Airlines Labor Day sale

I just got an email from United Airlines announcing their Labor Day sale for travel now thru December (just before the holidays) with fares as low as $67.

We have a trip booked from Newark to West Palm Beach on October 1 on United so I figured I would check the sale fares.

The same flights were $160 ($80 per person) less than what we paid. I cancelled the flights we had and rebooked with the credit, no cancellation fees (all online). We now have $80 each in credits for future flights.
Check it out…haven’t had these days of “no cancellation fees” in years!
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, I could save $70 total on 2 tickets. But when I click on the cancel options, it only shows refunds for base fare + taxes. I have $148 in economy + and preferred seat upgrades. thepointsguy website says UA says you have to explicitly ask for refunds of those, and it takes a couple of weeks. So if I cancel and rebook the tickets with the upgrades, I wonder if they'll look at my flight and see that I did use the upgrades and not refund me even though they'd be paid for twice. I'm all for taking advantage of the better cancellation policies after years of restrictive rules, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for $70.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Running, maybe worth calling them (good luck with waiting time on the phone) to see if you can get the full refund for the seat upgrades. That may make it worthwhile vs the $70. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Will consider that, but with Ida moving up the east coast they are probably blitzed today. Whether I try or not, thanks for pointing out the lower fares with free cancellation option.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Administrator

Thread moved to the travel forum
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

Not refunding the seat extras sounds just like United. They make you fiddle around on the phone for hours. No thanks.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not refunding the seat extras sounds just like United. They make you fiddle around on the phone for hours. No thanks.
They do have a page for it, https://www.united.com/en/US/refunds so you don't have to call.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This is their standard procedure for some reason. I have received seat upgrade premiums refunded, it is just a bit of a pain.

But it is an online process. If you call they refer you to online.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My problem was that after 36 years of extensive travel, there's not many places I care to travel to domestically. After taking the grandkids to Vegas & National Parks in June, hotels, restaurants and rental cars are getting out of sight.

But I am hoping Germany will let us in the end of September with the virus raging here.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote