Using Smartphone for Data Connectivity on Alaska Tour

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is going to sound like such a naive question...but I just don't see the needed answers when I Google.

We're leaving in a couple of weeks for a 2-week Tauck Alaska tour, and I'm starting to worry about connectivity. I have a 2015 Moto G smartphone with TING wireless. TING doesn't serve Alaska (or Vancouver, where the tour ends).

The TING rep suggested swapping the SIM card for an Alaska SIM with a month's prepaid service. So, I know what a SIM card is; but I'm trying to think through the logistics now, before the trip. I tried searching on "buy Alaska SIM" with mixed results. Would I have to wait till we get to Anchorage to buy an Alaska prepaid SIM?

Next, I'm concerned about the logistics of getting off the plane (tired, with burning eyes), collecting luggage, and meeting the Tauck contractor who'll drive us to the hotel. Do I say, "Oh, excuse me, Mr. Driver and Mr. Amethyst - I have to go hunt for an airport store that will sell me a SIM card for my specific smartphone"? Because if I wait till we're in downtown Anchorage, who knows how close the nearest store will be to the hotel?

Moreover: Once I've acquired the card and swapped it into my phone (which is single-SIM), is there any rigmarole to setting it up so it talks to its service provider?

As for Vancouver: I realize I could probably use airport Wi-Fi, but there's a distinct possibility we may miss our flight back home due to cruise ship unloading times. (I tried to get a later flight - no luck). If that happens, we'll need to stay overnight in Vancouver. And that means using my smartphone. So I'm wondering all the same things as above, about buying and activating Canadian SIM card.

If you've read this far and have guidance, I'd sure appreciate it!

Amethyst

That wasn't really my question...I'm more down in the weeds than that.

If Your not under contract with Ting then find a carrier here with coverage in Alaska/Canada

For Alaska, AT&T and Verizon have coverage. AT&T sells SIM cards, and my guess is you should be able to get one at Target or WalMart.

If you haven't swapped SIm cards before you probably want to practice before you go, and make sure you have a good way to store your current SIM. You definitely don't want to lose that.

Can I buy Alaska/Canadian SIMs outside the actual state/country they're used in? Can I buy them online? I tried Googling but didn't trust the sites I found.

I'm really not looking to hunt down a Walmart in Anchorage when my home base is a hotel, and I can't call Uber from my phone b/c I don't have the right SIM....

I think Michael is suggesting that the National SIM cards from those carriers should work in Alaska. If that is the case, you could test it before you leave.

Be sure to confirm if you TING phone is locked or not.

-gauss

Can I buy Alaska/Canadian SIMs outside the actual state/country they're used in? Can I buy them online? I tried Googling but didn't trust the sites I found.

I'm really not looking to hunt down a Walmart in Anchorage when my home base is a hotel, and I can't call Uber from my phone b/c I don't have the right SIM....
The AT&T and Verizon networks are not Alaska specific, they are nationwide. It's the same SIM you would use at home, so you can buy it at your local Target or Walmart. Or online.

There's a local carrier specific to Alaska called GCI. Probably has better coverage.

Also no problem buying a Canadian SIM online, as long as the retailer is reputable.

Yes, set this up before you leave for Alaska. That way you can put the AT&T or Verizon SIM into your phone and verify that it works way before you get on the plane. If you need to contact the carrier to activate it for any reason, you can also do that from home.

I suspect you do not need a Canada SIM. Vancouver has a massive free public wifi network called VanWiFi. You should be able to use that at the cruise port or you can use the airport's network once you're there. There's also an airport hotel whose lobby is right in the terminal building. (I know from experience that if you happen to be at the airport super early, the most comfortable chairs in the building are in the hotel lobby.) If you don't want to stay at the airport hotel, there used to be one of those phone boards with lines that connect you to the local hotels in the baggage claim area. I don't know if it's still there, but you could at least get to hotels.com on the free wifi and make a reservation somewhere nearby.

This is going to sound like such a naive question...but I just don't see the needed answers when I Google.

We're leaving in a couple of weeks for a 2-week Tauck Alaska tour, and I'm starting to worry about connectivity. I have a 2015 Moto G smartphone with TING wireless. TING doesn't serve Alaska (or Vancouver, where the tour ends).

The TING rep suggested swapping the SIM card for an Alaska SIM with a month's prepaid service. So, I know what a SIM card is; but I'm trying to think through the logistics now, before the trip. I tried searching on "buy Alaska SIM" with mixed results. Would I have to wait till we get to Anchorage to buy an Alaska prepaid SIM?

Next, I'm concerned about the logistics of getting off the plane (tired, with burning eyes), collecting luggage, and meeting the Tauck contractor who'll drive us to the hotel. Do I say, "Oh, excuse me, Mr. Driver and Mr. Amethyst - I have to go hunt for an airport store that will sell me a SIM card for my specific smartphone"? Because if I wait till we're in downtown Anchorage, who knows how close the nearest store will be to the hotel?

Moreover: Once I've acquired the card and swapped it into my phone (which is single-SIM), is there any rigmarole to setting it up so it talks to its service provider?

As for Vancouver: I realize I could probably use airport Wi-Fi, but there's a distinct possibility we may miss our flight back home due to cruise ship unloading times. (I tried to get a later flight - no luck). If that happens, we'll need to stay overnight in Vancouver. And that means using my smartphone. So I'm wondering all the same things as above, about buying and activating Canadian SIM card.

If you've read this far and have guidance, I'd sure appreciate it!

Amethyst

We returned from our trip to Alaska on the 9th of June. I had the same issue as you. My phone is on T-Mobile (Moto E4) and there is no coverage in Alaska. The phone that I use in Europe works with AT&T and ask expected "worked" in Alaska on the AT&T network. However coverage is very poor is Alaska except for Anchorage, Seward, Palmer. Once you leave the city limits, coverage is very poor for everybody. I rarely saw a cell phone tower outside cities and towns. We rented a car and we noticed that coverage dropped off once we were about 10 miles out of towns or sometimes less. Most of the state has no coverage. Data connectivity is very poor. However, most hotels and restaurants have Wifi for this reason. The one's we stayed at, Alyeska Resort, Knik River lodge, Seward lodge, and Sheraton Anchorage had excellent Wifi. I ended up using Wifi connections on my phone and made calls using Wifi. I wouldn't bother getting an AT&T SIM card. Not to mention, when you are doing your activities, the last thing on your mind should be your cell phone. Besides it doesn't get dark there now, so you will have plenty of time to catch up when you get to your hotel. Enjoy your trip, it was quite an adventure for us.

I am in Alaska right now. I am using a Moto E4 with a TracFone SIM on AT&T's network. It has been working well for the five days I've been here. Mostly around Palmer, Wasilla, and Anchorage. You can buy a TracFone SIM for $1, activate it and charge it with minutes, texts and data before you go. I would expect the TracFone SIM to work with your phone. I am sending this message using this combination right now, a few miles outside of Palmer, Alaska.

As a postpaid T-mobile customer I would be able to use the CGI network in Alaska, and my plan also covers Canada, so Vancouver would be covered.

It’s no contract, so you could sign up for a month, test the SIM before leaving, and end it upon return. We’ve done this in the past on a trip to Europe, no problem. I think they even prorated the usage. You just need to make sure your phone is unlocked and compatible.

You could even forward your old number to the new while traveling and leave the old SIM at home.

T-mobile prepaid won’t give you Alaska coverage.

Just to top up on Vancouver...
A prepaid sim is somewhat expensive for what you get. You typically have to buy a sim and buy a data add on. You're likely spending a min of $15-20CDN to get going with 100MB of data. It also might be a pain trying to find a place selling a sim in Vancouver. eg. One of the cheaper plans is 7Eleven's Speakout plan but they're occasionally out of stock in the stores.

My preferred option would likely be to find/buy a US sim that provides coverage in Alaska and that could also provide a bit of roaming data in Vancouver.

If you're ok with wifi, the city of Vancouver does offer free wifi hotspots in a number of locations under #VanWiFi as mentioned above by cathy. There are also free hotspots offered by the local telecom under #TELUS. Starbucks, McDonalds, and Tim Hortons stores also typically offer free wifi. The airport (YVR) has free wifi and the city of Richmond (where the airport is located) has hotspots around town under @richmondbc but doesn't have as extensive coverage as Vancouver proper.

This page has information on the situation.
Alaska | Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
If it were me, I'd get a prepaid phone while there, text a few friends with the new number, and enjoy the trip.

I love this website too. It's helped me so much finding cheap prepaid data sims while travelling.

My cell phone plan works everywhere in the world (Canada, Europe, Asia) except Alaska but roaming charges are applicable. I brought my second cell phone (that works in Alaska) for emergencies on the main road in case our car broke down. When we were hiking, climbing, or horseback riding the only concern I had were bears and moose and the last thing on my mind was receiving texts. Alaska like California is about the outdoors except the air is extremely clean and clear. On some trails we didn't see other people for hours and their was no cell phone coverage at all. It's very different from living in a metropolitan area with 10 million people. We took food, water, first aid kits and an emergency radio with us on long hikes. My connected cell phone was pretty useless outside the cities and towns and I didn't care. I would just switch off the phone and enjoy Alaska. We will likely head back next year and explore more of the state.

Last edited:
As others have said, wireless coverage will be spotty unless you're close to a city or town that has cell service. The main national carriers in Alaska are AT&T and Verizon. While other carriers may work, they will have spottier service than the two above (and GCI).

Your best bet would be to get a SIM card from AT&T or Verizon and select one of their plans. I don't know about Verizon, but AT&T has a monthly plan that includes Canada and Mexico. You could sign up for this plan for a month ($50 to include Canada), and then drop it after your trip. You can go into any AT&T store to get the SIM card and sign up for the plan.

As for service, expect no service during most of your traveling time and the service you get will be voice and text, as data will be too slow to do anything. Figure no service while on the water unless you go by a town. Once you leave Valdez, there will be no service until you get near Glacier Bay/Gustavus (might get some reception as you pass by Cordova, Yakutat and Elfin Cove). The Inside Passage will be a dead area, except while you're near towns. If you need to make changes to your plans, try to do so at Ketchikan (or Juneau).

One thing I have found when traveling in areas with poor service is that texting may still work even if voice and data are inoperable. Sending a simple text requires very few resources so sometimes they slip through when voice/data are not working well.

When my kid was in Canada for a week last year for around $30 I just bought them an "unlimited" prepaid T-Mobile SIM - new number, but unlimited talk/text/data for a month.

One thing I have found when traveling in areas with poor service is that texting may still work even if voice and data are inoperable. Sending a simple text requires very few resources so sometimes they slip through when voice/data are not working well.

Yes. I've mentioned this before when there are emergencies, and the cell towers are overloaded. Try text rather than voice.

A voice connection uses at least 6500 bits for each second of speech. OTOH, a text message of this length (the underlined section), requires only 8 bits times the 55 characters, so round up to 550 bits (includes a start/stop bit, but I'm not sure those 'count'). Less than 1/10th the bits required than a single second of speech (and you can't communicate much of anything in one second), and the text can be sent and received even if the timing is broken up - voice needs to all come together at nearly the same time to avoid it being all chopped up and incomprehensible.

And you can also text from a computer over email, which can be handy, or needed if you have computer access but no cell phone access. You need to check the carrier for specifics (search the web), but verizon for example, is XXXXXXXXXX@vtext.com format.

-ERD50

One more data point -

My Sprint-connected old Note 3 worked fine in May at all Alaskan and Canada stops (Vancouver, Victoria, Ketchikan, Sitka, Kodiak, Homer, Icy Strait, Anchorage, Juneau) as well as last week in Eastern Canada (Halifax, Charlottetown, Sydney, Quebec, Montreal).

Data worked well enough to play my games. In Canada data and texts were free, phone calls were not. All were free in Alaska.

Our TMobile service allows roaming access whenever there is cell service so far. Of course in places like Chicken (pop of 15), then nothing works. They have to run generator 24/7 for power even.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom