Join Early Retirement Today

Arrow Utah Hiking in September
Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Arrow Utah Hiking in September

Climate-wise... which is better in September... Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park?

31 year old and 60 year old headed on the wandering adventure this 2018...
wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Zion is a little cooler - especially if you hike The Narrows.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bryce has more trees, but you’re splitting hairs. They both will be sort of hot yet.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have time spend some time in snow canyon state park just outside of st. George. A hidden gem!
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
Climate-wise... which is better in September... Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park?

31 year old and 60 year old headed on the wandering adventure this 2018...
Both will be okay. We were there at the end of September 2016. I preferred Zions. Bring water shoes and neoprene socks with you if you plan to hike into the Narrows or rent them. The water temperature was about 53 degrees. The air temperature was about 35 in the morning rising to 72 in the afternoon.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Normal high in Zion in September is 91. https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...er-Chart-2.pdf
Old 07-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I visited Zion late Sept a couple of years ago. If it was 91 it sure didn't feel like it. Of course I'm used to high humidity in the south.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

I checked back on some phone pictures and nobody was dressed for 91 degree weather. It was cold in the morning and warmed up into the 70's in the afternoon. But what an adventure it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot-1.jpg (499.0 KB, 42 views)
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We went to Utah last October. 3 days in Zion followed by 3 days in Bryce, then on to other points. One day in Zion was upper 80's and too warm for us to hike Angel's Landing so we went the next day. Early morning in Bryce was chilly but later was nice. It was mostly the luck of the draw. You can look up climate info for both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3046FB.jpg (954.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3020FB.jpg (1.52 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9574-6FB.jpg (616.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3131FB.jpg (963.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I checked back on some phone pictures and nobody was dressed for 91 degree weather. It was cold in the morning and warmed up into the 70's in the afternoon. But what an adventure it was.
I live in Colorado. It’s almost always cool overnight and into the morning. The high of the day is usually in the mid to late afternoon. Even then it’s a dry heat so you don’t notice it as much. It also varies like there is no tomorrow. It can be 70 in January and snow in May.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I live in Colorado. It’s almost always cool overnight and into the morning. The high of the day is usually in the mid to late afternoon. Even then it’s a dry heat so you don’t notice it as much. It also varies like there is no tomorrow. It can be 70 in January and snow in May.
Exactly right.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

September sounds like a great time to do both (and is when I used to do all my trips, usually great weather everywhere and no summer rush of families as kids are in school), do you have to pick just one?

We went a few years ago in January which was fantastic because there was no one around, had the hole place to ourselves, didn't suffer through stifling summer heat, and Bryce, while always amazing looking, was stunning all dressed in snow, and we never needed more than a sweater. But, unfortunately Zion was not as good in the winter, couldn't do the narrows or Angel's Landing because of ice. We also did the Grand canyon then which was also excellent in the winter.
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Escalante area - Peekaboo
https://utah.com/hiking/peek-a-boo-slot-canyon
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

This one might be a bit too far away, but it has been on my bucket list for a long time. The Great Gallery ancient rock art in Canyonlands NP.
https://utah.com/canyonlands-nationa...rseshoe-canyon
Old 07-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #15

We did all 5 Utah NP’s about 3 years ago. It was fantastic. If I could only pick one, I’d choose Zion. But I’d hate to only pick one. September is a great month to visit all or any of them imo.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Can you wait until October...both the parks you mentioned are jam packed for the month of September? The trails in Zion will be wall to wall people.

How about the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, that would get my vote hands down for a September trip.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd vote for Bryce. Bryce is several thousand feet higher in elevation than Zion and should be much cooler. I'm going to Capitol Reef/Escalante/Bryce and the Grand Canyon North Rim the last week of August. September would have been my first choice (the North Rim closes October 15 and earlier if there is snow) but I wanted to stay in the park lodges and there were no openings - supposedly because of all the retirees.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

One option to think about if you are both fit. In Zion you can hike from the top of the Narrows over a 2 day period and camp halfway down. You'll need a permit so I'm not sure if they'd still be available. I've done a lot of backpacking/ hiking and that trip is in the top 2 for me. Amazing, amazing scenery and beauty!

You'll get wet, and will be trudging through some water at times, but it is very doable. As I recall about 17 miles from top to bottom.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you everyone for all the helpful insights. DrRoy those pictures are incredibly beautiful. Did you take them?
wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
gone traveling

Bryce is the highest elevation & thus coolest. I think all of Utah south of I70 ought to be a national park. Great place(s). Last time there was in Sept & quite warm except Bryce which was nice.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, hiking, september, wandering, weather