Venice & Barcelona Trip

e86s54

Recycles dryer sheets
All,

Going to be spending 4 days in Venice and 5 Days in Barcelona with the Kids (16 & 19) at the Beginning of May as part of a family vacation. We have the Travel books and my daughter has been to Venice, but any suggestions of favorite activities or place to see or eat that are not in the top five obvious stops? Just trying to make sure we don't overlook anything.

Thanks in advance

I lived outside Venice for 3 years and always go back to the public gardens on the east side of the main island in the Castello neighborhood. The vaporetto stop is Sant'Elena. You can also easily walk there from St Mark's Square. Just go to the water, turn left, and follow the water up and down the bridges (looking at the really cool, super expensive yachts along the way) until you get to green space. The kiosks selling tourist stuff made in China will soon peter out, and you will be in a real part of the city. This is a part of the city empty of tourists and full of locals. This is where they host the Biannual Art Festival (sorry, it's next year). Since it's for locals, the prices on food/drinks are more reasonable than the tourist area.

In Venice just make sure you get out into Canneregio, maybe walk to the Fundamenta Nouve (wher you can catch a Vaporetto to see Murano/Burano). You can walk there easily. It is nice to get away from the crowds near San Marco and Accademia, et al., which you will see plenty of coming and going if you stay there. There are some good restaurants in Castello (easy walk from St Marks). IIRC, Osteria Alla Staffa was one we stumbled on and liked on our last visit.

In Barcelona, DO visit La Sagrada Familia. You can buy tickets online and bypass the waits when you get there. We also took the train to Valencia for a long day. Valencia is a beautiful city and the train service in Spain puts the US to shame.

Not a kid thing but have a nightcap in the bar of the Hotel Danelli in Venice. Interesting characters! I also like the little beach town of Sitges outside Barcelona.

If I had had the time, I would have visited the glassworks in the island of Murano. Murano, the Glass Island - A Travel Guide - Venice for Visitors

My brother has two chandeliers from Murano...similar to this one
Murano-Chandelier-San-Bartolomeo.jpg

Trip was great...would have eliminated the Paris leg as I have been there too many times now.

Venice was really cool, like no other place I have ever been. Like the lack of noise from vehicles. Easy to get away from crowds. Walking Venice at night is the best.

We visited Murano and Burano and purchased our own chandelier.
euro2012294.jpg

Barcelona is truly a great city. No sign of the financial wows plaguing the rest of the country. It has everything and very live-able.

Did the airbnb and vbro for accommodations since we were four. Would do it again as our locations in all three cities were second to none and averaged $200/nt.

Back
Top Bottom