Vietnam/Thailand

I'm flying ANA business, SFO to Japan and then BKK.

Only tough thing is arriving just after midnight.

Yeah the midnight arrival is weird but it's a huge airport and was easy to get a cab to hotel, etc.

Have fun!

Definitely doing SE Asia.

Watching videos of some of the First Class and Business Class seating makes it very tempting especially given the length of the trip. Will have to see how much more it is.

Premium Economy on some airlines is a good option if Business is too expensive. On Lufthansa & international on United, the seats are similar to first class seats on domestic US flights. Better legroom with a support for your legs, better reclining and better food.

Thanks Brett. My stuff will weigh less but the suitcase itself is a non zero weight. Might skip the packing cubes because that is a few extra ounces. We travel light and don't like checking luggage because it can go missing. (Happened to my son and the my sister in separate trips to Europe). I only consider checking on the flight home if there are connections.

There are some incredibly light carry-on luggage options, but they are usually backpacks.

Here's an example
https://www.matadorequipment.com/products/seg28-backpack

There are some incredibly light carry-on luggage options, but they are usually backpacks. ...
A few years ago I went on a hunt for the lightest carry-on bag. I found a Zero brand polycarbonate spinner bag at 4#. Most bags were in the 7# +/- range. It was a BTD $400, but I do really like it.

We both have used soft side Eagle Creek international size carry on roller bags for the past 12 or so years. They are still like new. Light weight. As I recall they were not expensive.

Both are like new. As you would expect since neither bag has ever been checked!

Not a fan of the spinner type based on how and where we travel.

Very happy with them.

... Not a fan of the spinner type based on how and where we travel. ...
Me neither. I bought the Zero spinning strictly because it won decisively on light weight.

I spent a little time in Thailand on business. Loved Bangkok, the riverboat tour, the “water market”, the food, the beach and, make sure you see, Monkey Island!

Never had a chance to go to Vietnam, but I’d go in a heartbeat if I had the chance you have.

For those of you that have been to Thailand a lot... I'm considering doing a tour of an ethical elephant sanctuary while we're in Chiang Mai. Any recommendations? There seem to be quite a few options.

For those of you that have been to Thailand a lot... I'm considering doing a tour of an ethical elephant sanctuary while we're in Chiang Mai. Any recommendations? There seem to be quite a few options.

This is a decade ago now but the missus and I did a day trip to Elephant Nature Park. IIRC, it was a pretty early morning and a long drive from our hotel in the centre/old town part of Chiang Mai to the sanctuary though some guests/volunteers did an overnighter.

We chose this place because it seemed to be one of the more ethical options. We got to feed the elephants (pretty fun), wash the elephants (but it doesn't seem like that offer that any more), and just walk/visit with them. We just enjoyed the experience being around the elephants.

This is a decade ago now but the missus and I did a day trip to Elephant Nature Park. IIRC, it was a pretty early morning and a long drive from our hotel in the centre/old town part of Chiang Mai to the sanctuary though some guests/volunteers did an overnighter.

We chose this place because it seemed to be one of the more ethical options. We got to feed the elephants (pretty fun), wash the elephants (but it doesn't seem like that offer that any more), and just walk/visit with them. We just enjoyed the experience being around the elephants.

+1 for Elephant Nature Park. We were there in Jan 2020 and had a wonderful experience. Fed the elephants and spent the night in an elevated cottage adjacent to where they slept. They do a very good job of teaching you how and why facilities like their’s exist. Loved Chiang Mai - the street food is oh-so good.

Back
Top Bottom