Join Early Retirement Today

VRBO or AirBnB
Old 12-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

VRBO or AirBnB

I haven't done a booking on either site for over 2 years now. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 5 week stay in the St. George area of Southern Utah, from mid Jan toward late Feb.

My last booking on VRBO was a disaster, as someone slipped in a completely bogus listing for the same area. A guy who had some legit rentals he was running for other people and somehow was able to list "fake" properties that he had no interest in. He really faked me out, we actually talked on the phone several times, he had extensive knowledge of the area. He gave me a good price but not good enough that I should have been wary of it. To add insult to injury I had to report him myself as I was emailing to extend my dates and he just went MIA. I later found out he has gypped the owners he was working with of booking money and been replace with the knowledge of VRBO, but I was never notified even after the fake listing had been removed

I had bought the VRBO insurance for the first time ever since it was a 5 week rental. Long story short I got my money back after an untold amount of hassles. Unfortunately, for the SGU area VRBO has many more listing then AirBnb. So I am looking at both but, still leery of VRBO...I noticed they seem to roll the insurance for fraud and misrepresentation right into the final price of the rental, so it now looks like that is mandatory, which doesn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Actually I have never booked on AirBnb, so can anybody share stories good and bad about problems you have run into and how the companies helped or didn't help you solve them. There are a few old threads about this but I think updated information is more helpful.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, that is awful.

We used VRBO only 3 times and had good experiences. The last VRBO rental was only about a week ago and the person we were renting it from had us pay him directly (via credit card) as opposed to paying through the VRBO site. I was a little leery of it, but he had all 5 star reviews and VRBO allows this. It turned out to all be good. But after reading your story, I may not book again unless I can pay through VRBO.

While reviews can be fake, I would not book unless there are a fair number of reviews and they were all positive.

I have never used AirBnb.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So I just got a nice response from an owner on VRBO and the email come from VRBO so we can't email directly. I had a couple of small question and I have to log on to VRBO check-in and send her another rate request to ask my question. She emailed me her personal email in the VRBO response and VRBO BLOCKED IT OUT...

They did let her cell number thru so I guess I can text for her email, but for crying out loud.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might check out TripAdvisor's FlipKey service as an option. We have reserved a month in Sedona starting in Jan and have had several direct exchanges with condo owner.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

We spent last March at the New Harmony House through VRBO. Really nice house, big yard, beautiful view of the Kolobs out the back door. But we did have snow the first few days that lasted a week before it melted.
New Harmony is just off the interstate between Cedar City and St. George.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
We spent last March at the New Harmony House through VRBO. Really nice house, big yard, beautiful view of the Kolobs out the back door. But we did have snow the first few days that lasted a week before it melted.
New Harmony is just off the interstate between Cedar City and St. George.
yes it's a nice area but for mid-Jan to mid Feb, it's going to be a little cooler.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #7

We've used Air BNB in various towns. Most of the time the host was there and perhaps our longest stay was 8 days in one location. Sometimes the host would give us their room if the house was not set up well for two guests. We would move on to the next location enjoying a town for a little while.

It worked well for us. We always had our own room and bathroom. And, often use of the kitchen but not always. Obviously, you need to comfortable with a roommate who has been very accomadating. Works for us.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Never used VRBO, but have used Airbnb, Wimdu and House Trip numerous times without problems.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have always stayed at hotels, and never at a private rental place. The summer of 2017 will be the 1st time I use AirBnB in Europe. I would not want to send my money directly to a stranger, and AirBnB looks like a safe approach.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #10

We have used VRBO numerous times, never AirBnB, though I almost always find the rental we choose listed on both sites.

As somebody else already mentioned, we only book properties with numerous positive reviews. We look for ten or more and never book if it has more than one semi-negative review.

Keep us posted, please. I have been thinking about trying AirBnB. I am sorry to hear you had that bad experience. (That guy was quite the jerk.)
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You can have a bad experience anywhere, but I wasn't thrilled with the back-up provided by VRBO, that's my main issue.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #12

I am curious to learn if any savvy VRBO users here could enlighten us as to ways to identify fraudulent listings. I have never actually rented anything via VRBO, but I've surfed the site, and could see myself using it.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have used VRBO and AirBnB several times. All were satisfactory but a few experiences with flaky owners who made me worry about fraud were nerve racking. One was in a trendy (read sketchy) area of Berlin that my daughter and her boy friend who were with us wanted to stay at. The owner had to take a subway down to meet us and we sat out front for an hour worrying that he would be a no show. Ended up working out fine and the apartment and neighborhood were fun. On AirBnB I have used the certified owners feature (or whatever it is called) recently. I am more worried about arriving at my destination to find out it was BS than losing money. It is the disruption of a trip that would be alarming.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

I've used VRBO, Homeaway and Flipkey. Haven't had any issues, but I do make sure that there are reviews. BTW, VRBO and Homeaway are owned by the same company. There are also some other, smaller services out there that are also part of Homeaway.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We have used both with no issues, I agree that lots of reviews on the exact property are important. I think fraud is widespread these days. A friend of ours stopped using these online services after a very bad experience and he now swears by using local real estate offices that carry rentals in the area he is interested in. He said once he went to one of the properties and didn't love that there was construction next door and the RE company put him in a different property.

I would like to try TripAdvisor though.....
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well in my case, the fraud came because the guy actually had legitimate VRBO properties that had lots of very good reviews attached to them that said how good the rental people were to deal with and that things went fine. The actually property I rented was listed as a new listing and it did not have any reviews. The jerk explained very smoothly that he handled listings for many owners, which in not unusual in an area with lots of second homes and went on to say one of his owners had bought a single family home and wanted income from it. He knew the area inside and out and said any of these places would work so it's up to you. Of course he didn't care which place I took because he was ripping off the legit owners too, taking their money and not doing the reservations for anyone.
This was I was so ticked off, I asked VRBO do you have no safeguards in place to prevent people taking reservations for properties they don't actually own, which seems like kind of no brainer, and why didn't you tell me the dude had been kicked off your site for ripping off the actual owners who are paying you money to show their listings. I never got a good answer. So now I try to actually rent from a real live owner and deal directly with them, which kinds of limits some of your choices.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #17

Have used Airbnb a lot, four times just in the last year and have another one coming up in February. Always as represented and no problems so far.

Used VRBO once. Got screwed by the host who double booked his property and cancelled on us on the day of arrival ! Got all our money back but my complaint to VRBO was answered with a form letter and that was it for support from them. Never again.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have used VRBO for European bookings many times. The contact has been the rental agent. No problems. Suggestions for improvement do not get passed on to the owners so I guess the agent is covering their ass.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #19

We have used VRBO about a dozen times with no issues. We only rent from units with lots of feedback and pictures. We prefer to cook our own food when traveling and VRBO usually has reasonable units that have full kitchens, frequently much cheaper than hotels. The only downside is if you cancel within a week (or even a month cases), you forfeit your deposit.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

So as I mentioned VRBO now has things set up so that you and your owner cannot see each others email. Low and behold I just got an email from a private Yahoo account about a condo that actually has a lot of pretty good reviews attached to it. I did send a rental quote request thru the VRBO website server.

However this woman just gave me her first name and said if I wanted to send a check she could give me a very good discount..in fact the discount was too good..it was lower then any of my other quotes by over 600 bucks. I answered her by saying yes that is a good price but would you mind explaining to me how you got my private email and then sending me a quote thru the real VRBO website, I said if it's higher so be it, that's how I want to deal with you for reasons of safety for my money. Haven't heard back yet...