Waiting on Passports

I agree with the OPs recommendation (top of page 3) to go expedited (or at least their overnight mailing service) if you don't have a healthy margin outside of the published SLA's. I consider that an investment in good sleep, especially if you have a hard deadline with cash on the line as the OP did.

It's one thing to rebook a flight, it's entirely another to miss a cruise and forgo the entire cost.

With the original 4-6 expectation and 7 weeks of wiggle room I'd have personally wanted to renew in person and driven to an acceptance location, or overnighted in my forms and fees. Barring that I would have paid for the expedite. We renewed in January for flights planned for end of May, and I was still nervous about not expediting. DH talked me off that ledge.

Pro-tip for others on passport renewals: You can now make your own passport photos if you have a decent printer + photo paper, save a few bucks vs finding a place to do it for you.

I must say I was also feeling a little peeved at the time and probably responded too strongly for which I apologize.
I accept your apology, I do think you got caught up in feeling peeved and lost sight of the fact that nothing went wrong, the OP got the passports within the time period as estimated when he applied.

If you don't count the 40 plus hours he spent on the phone trying to make this happen.I guess he could have done nothing except cross his fingers...roll the dice..he advised people having an upcoming trip to go expedited..
It's certainly possible, if not likely, that he would have gotten the passports at the same time had he not spent any time on the phone with anyone.

It's certainly possible, if not likely, that he would have gotten the passports at the same time had he not spent any time on the phone with anyone.

Anything is possible....considering the passport was stolen and not just a renewal made it tough on the OP..hope they have a great trip

Glad it all worked out.

An earlier poster recommended using a company like CIBT. I would highly recommend them.

While I have not had a need to use them in retirement, while working they were excellent at getting Visas and passports in expedited time. And the fees were not that expensive (particularly compared to cancelling a trip).

This is an update to my post on receiving passports.

I finally got our passports today - 3 business days before our travel. Cathy63, if you are reading this - a huge thank you for recommending, and then pushing me, to contact our Congressional Representative. I filed the privacy form on Sunday and called their office first thing on Monday. I used Arizona's US Senator Krysten Sinema. Within 48 hours our passports were being processed and mailed. Her office was on it within hours and had an answer for me the next day - I couldn't believe it. I can't say for sure that their intervention caused the issuance of the passports, or if the State Dept. was getting ready to process them anyway, but I'm thinking it sure helped.

Lessons learned:
1. if you absolutely need a passport with 9 or 10 weeks, file an expedited application and pay the fee. I didn't (at first) as I read that people were getting routine passports in 2-3 weeks. Ours took 6 weeks and the last week of worry was agonizing.

2. use your Congressional leaders if you run into an emergency. I spent over 40 hours on calls (and wait times) with the State Dept. in the last 10 days and, although they were polite, they weren't seemingly able to tell me much of anything as to when I could expect the passports to arrive. I'm sure they are trained not to promise anything. I did find it ironic that in order for Senator's office to assist me, I had to file a Privacy Act Waiver that required my SS# and birth date, which kinda doesn't make me feel comfortable with that form floating around.

Thanks to all of the well wishers and ideas you've provided. I'm now sleeping at night again!

Yay! I'm glad the suggestion to contact your senator helped. I have never needed to do that myself, but I have known a couple of others who did and it worked for them as well. I hope you have a wonderful (and relaxing!) trip. :)

I'm glad you're all ready to go, Packman! And thanks for the reminder -- I've set myself calendar reminders for our family's passports 9 months before they expire (to ensure we can have them in hand before the 6-month period starts). Of course, that won't help me if they're stolen, but we haven't traveled internationally in a couple of years, so I had forgotten that mine expires in the middle of next year!

Just in case anyone is not aware of it, you can renew your passport any time -- no need to wait for some period before its expiration date.

Very important point...but not very frugal! I'm not in Blow That Dough mode yet! :cool:

I'm actually going to wait longer if we're not planning on any travel during the six month period before they expire, but I figure 9 months out is when I should be reminded that I have 3 months left until some countries stop accepting them. I do feel like I'm throwing money away when I do things like that too soon! But I've learned (after one or two small but painful lessons) to set reminders to avoid late/renewal/expediting fees, etc.

I'm actually going to wait longer if we're not planning on any travel during the six month period before they expire

Perfectly reasonable. One reason a person might want to renew early is if you're thinking about a group tour or cruise where they insist that your passport be valid for over six months after the trip ends. That's quite common, and if the trip would be close to your current expiration date it's a good consideration.

I renewed mine once at about the six year point because I used to have a beard and when I decided to get rid of it I had to go through a bit of a hassle a few times at overseas checkpoints. It was just easier to get a new passport with a new photo.

Perfectly reasonable. One reason a person might want to renew early is if you're thinking about a group tour or cruise where they insist that your passport be valid for over six months after the trip ends. That's quite common, and if the trip would be close to your current expiration date it's a good consideration.

I renewed mine once at about the six year point because I used to have a beard and when I decided to get rid of it I had to go through a bit of a hassle a few times at overseas checkpoints. It was just easier to get a new passport with a new photo.

Actually don't quite a few random countries have that six month rule? It's not always enforced at border crossing but who wants to be the random person that gets refused entry. At around the 9 year mark I figure close enough and get the paperwork going for a new one.

DW's passport renewal arrived today! Almost exactly 7 weeks from dropping the application in the mailbox until arriving in our mailbox today. That's about 6 weeks at the office.

So, yeah, 6 to 8 weeks is what they are saying, and that's what it was.

That list of countries was longer then I thought it would be...I guess it safest to renew early.

Back
Top Bottom