Washington and Oregon in August: advice please!

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am planning a road trip in the first two weeks of August, anchored by the Oregon Festival of American Music in Eugene, OR. While in Eugene I will be staying at the Inn on the Fifth. My current plan is to drive due south on Hwy 97/I97 from Kelowna, BC, to Yakima, WA, spend one night there, then along the Columbia River Gorge to Portland, OR, where I may spend one or two nights, before heading to Eugene. On the return leg, I would like to head to the coast, perhaps stay overnight somewhere near McMinnville, then head up I5 to Seattle. I am an aviation fan and would like to do the Boeing tour in Everett. From there I would cross the border at Surrey and head home up the Coquihalla Highway.

I've visited Seattle but it was a long time ago; everywhere else would be new to me. My time is flexible :D. Does this seem like a reasonable itinerary? What are the must see places? Favorite places to stay (hotels or B&Bs)? Is it worthwhile bringing my golf clubs? Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

If you like aviation, you might enjoy the Museum Of Flight. Near Boeing south of Seattle.

It's a bit off your route, but Mt. Saint Helens is always an interesting place. How many times do you see a mountain with its side blown out?

McMinnville? Aviation? You need a day in the Evergreen museum. Great up close and personal museum with the Spruce Goose and plenty of other aircraft and antique cars and all kinds of stuff. Two thumbs up, and not just because I'm an Oregonian.
The Spruce Goose | Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum | Wings & Waves Waterpark | McMinnville Oregon

Actually I visited the Spruce Goose in 1987 when it was in Southern California (with the Queen Mary). But it would be worth another look!

Great suggestions everyone, keep them coming!

There are lots of things to see and do in and around Portland, in addition to having coffee with me. :cool: Maybe your visit would be a great opportunity for a Portland ER Forum meet-up.

If you can work in a stop at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, whether to just visit, eat or stay, you will talk about it forever. Timberline Lodge | Timberline Lodge

There are lots of things to see and do in and around Portland, in addition to having coffee with me. :cool: Maybe your visit would be a great opportunity for a Portland ER Forum meet-up.

If you can work in a stop at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, whether to just visit, eat or stay, you will talk about it forever. Timberline Lodge | Timberline Lodge

Brat, I would love to have coffee with you! Invitation accepted. As things firm up I will send you a PM. :)

On the coast at Tillamook, east of Portland, is an air museum described here:

Tillamook Air Museum

Two immense hangars were built there during ww2 to house dirigibles, now the surviving one contains restored warbirds. Beyond the aircraft, the building is stunning. I once saw a cessna 182 sitting alone in one, it looked like a matchbox toy. The hangar is beautiful in itself, and puts modern structures in the shade. Nice season to travel, have fun.

The CRH west and north of Portland isn't all that scenic. East from Portland is VERY scenic, and could be part of a loop to Mt Hood (what I did).

The coast highway south of Astoria is nice, and highway 6 from Tillamook back to Portland is a nice drive through Tillamook State Forest.

HIGHLY recommend the Museum of Flight! It will knock your socks off. The SR-71 will raise the hairs on the back of your neck. The Red Barn in the back is arresting for those with a taste for history. And you never know what is on the tarmac. I think it is all free on Wednesdays. Check the web site.

Look for the story of Tex Johnson and the first 707 over the hydroplane races.

McMinnville is a good second. It has more than the Goose.

I remember the hangars in Tillamook, but was not aware of their new use. When I was a kid, they were mushroom farms, I think. Give it a good third.

I would give Everett a big yawn.

Have a great time.

Welcome to my home. :)

and say 'hi' to Brat for me.

old Ed

If I am here I would love to be a part of the meet-up!

I just drove home from Seattle today and completed my 2450 Km (1522 m) trip. I had a wonderful time but it's good to be home!

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, in particular, to Helen and her SO, who hosted a delightful BBQ supper with Brat and her SO in Portland. It was wonderful to meet you both in person. You are the best!

I ended up going to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville and the Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle. Both were most enjoyable. In particular, the docents at McMinnville were eager to share their knowledge. I did not go down the waterslides from the 747 on the roof!

I stayed at three awesome and unique B&Bs, all historic renovated homes:
Portland Oregon Bed and Breakfast, Milwaukie Oregon Bed and Breakfast
http://www.distinctivedestination.net (Lions Gate Inn, Newberg)
Seattle Bed and Breakfast, Seattle Washington Bed and Breakfast
The hotel in Eugene was great too.
Inn at the 5th - Eugene - USA

Highlights of my trip include the Columbia River Gorge, the Oregon Festival of American Music, the mystical Oregon coast, the aviation museums and the Chihuli Garden and Glass exhibition in Seattle.

Plan Your Visit | Chihuly Garden and Glass

I booked the OFAM portion with Road Scholar. This got me a good deal on concert tickets, meals and accommodation, as well as many educational sessions that the public didn't have access to. However, I found that the Road Scholars were, for the most part, significantly older than I was. There was one sprightly gentleman of 95! I found that a bit depressing, so I played truant a few times and skipped off to see some wineries. One person pointed out to me that I would encounter a younger group of Road Scholars on an active trip such as hiking in the Grand Canyon. True, but I wanted to hear the music!

I really appreciate all the ideas you shared. My first foray into Oregon will not be my last!

My Honda CRV was the ideal vehicle for this trip. It performed outstandingly and wants to know where we are going next......:)

I did the Mt. St. Helen about 25 years ago. I was glad we did it, however back the there were no gas stations for a very long distance and I had rented a gas guzzler. We were running on fumes when we found a small general store that also sold gas.

We also drove up to Mt. Hood. There is a ski lodge at the end of the road to the summit which is a national historic site. We stayed there overnight.

Back
Top Bottom