Washington State in September

Any must visit locations for visiting Washington State in September? National Parks will be part of it, and Seattle. Thanks in Advance.

It’s a huge state.

I don’t think the kids go back to school until mid-September.

Well, OK, looks like 9/6 was the last start date last year.

Last edited:
WA is a big state and most folks forget that 2/3 of the state is arid. East of the cascades there is beautiful rolling land and spectacular views. Central and eastern WA have vast wineries and many tours. September is crush season!

You will need more than 5 days to do the whole state so I would focus on one section.
WA is about 400 miles wide and 250 miles N/S. Lots of driving.

:facepalm: Born and raised on the Western side near Mt St. Helens. Subconsciously thought Yakima was a suburb of New York City. Fast forward 50 years DW convinced me to 'get off the dam freeway' and smell the roses. Eastern Washington is like a whole nother planet. Grand Coulee was good but the Palouse country blew me away.

heh heh heh - trying to be a 'born again flat lander' and love the prairie. :dance: :dance: :greetings10:. Family reunion this year has been picked - Bend Oregon in July.:cool:

Last edited:
If one is a wine enthusiast, while in the Seattle area I would recommend a visit to the city of Woodsville which has a huge number of wineries (at least 50) within a few square miles. Most are mom and pop open only on weekends, but some of the big boys are open 7 days a week. But it is the small ones where you get to talk directly to the owner and the guy/gal who actually makes the wine.

Also, many breweries and distilleries are located in that area. How these Washington folks get any work done is beyond me. They must spend all their time drinking.

If one is a wine enthusiast, while in the Seattle area I would recommend a visit to the city of Woodsville which has a huge number of wineries (at least 50) within a few square miles. Most are mom and pop open only on weekends, but some of the big boys are open 7 days a week. But it is the small ones where you get to talk directly to the owner and the guy/gal who actually makes the wine.

That'd be "Woodinville". How much did you have when you were there? ;)

Friday Harbor is the gem of the San Juan Islands. Art galleries, including First People art. Good restaurants. Charming little town.

Enjoy the ferry ride there and back.

I recommend driving the North Cascades Loop on a clear day - the peaks are beautiful and lots of small towns to visit. Also for some ferry-hopping, take the Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey Island and drive the island (nice wineries and places to eat). Drive over Deception Pass (stop to do some hiking), then drive along the water to Anacortes on Fidalgo Island to take the ferry to the San Juan Islands. Try to get out in a kayak if possible. Also, Lopez Island is wonderful for bike riding (smaller and flatter of the islands). The Olympic Peninsula is also beautiful - Hurricane Ridge has fantastic views and some hiking options. Weather is typically very nice in September. Probably my favorite time of year to hike, ride and backpack. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom