What to do in Bavaria late March

There's the Prince-Bishop's residence in Wurzburg, definitely worth seeing. A lot of it was bombed out in WWII but it's been faithfully restored. The ceiling frescoes are incredible. Bring some opera glasses if you can.

Have a rauchbier in Bamberg and a glass of Silvaner in Wurzburg if you like to partake of adult beverages.

That's simply because a direct train from Munich to Salzburg is only 1.5 hours, so it's definitely doable, especially if you spend a couple of nights.

Yes, definitely, and the drive to Dresden and Leipzig from northern Bavaria did not take long at all on our past trips to Germany.

Geography schmeography--thread topics' titles are just the tip of the iceberg anyway :LOL:

I'm flying in and out of MUC in August and will spend most of the time in Austria.

Much easier to get award tickets to MUC than Salzburg or Innsbruck. Or Vienna. But I think MUC is closer to Salzburg and certainly Innsbruck than Vienna.

We're spending a week there (plus 2 more days in Salzburg) this summer and the highlights for us are:
Neuschwanstein Castle (2 hrs by car; ~3 by train)
Residenz in town (big palace)
Dachau - Concentration camp; free other than a few bucks for parking; accessible w/ public transit
Hallstatt outside of Salzburg - ice cave nearby and beautiful little lake town

If you like touring palaces and castles, there's a Bayern (Bavaria) tourist pass that gets you into 65 or so state-run palaces and castles around Bavaria. It's €44 for a family pass, and I think a single adult pass is 1/2 that. It'll pay for itself after 2 visits to the more expensive palaces/castles like Munich Residenz and Neuschwanstein and gets you into a bunch of other places around the state.

Is it an ice cave or an old salt mine near Hallstatt?

I haven't researched it yet, just booked a couple of nights.

I don't get the fascination with caves, catacombs, etc. I know salt was a valuable commodity and is what made those towns, particularly Salzburg, so rich hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

But a cave is still a cave. While they light it up with pretty colored lights and the rock and mineral formations could have interesting shapes, I'd rather have some beautifully-sunlit landscapes.

OTOH, this area is known for a lot of rain, so maybe something to do if it rains too much.

I'm with you about caves. On beautiful days I'd far rather be above ground. Hallstatt is gorgeous, as is St. Wolfgang, Alt Aussee, and all the other little towns. A boat ride is always nice. It can rain a lot, but don't let that daunt you. Have a coffee and a pastry in the bakery. I envy you--I'd like to be anywhere but MN in March right now. March is a depressing month.

Actually I'm going in late August and early September.

Supposedly that is when there is least rain there but it's a very rainy region otherwise.

I don't get the fascination with caves, catacombs, etc. I know salt was a valuable commodity and is what made those towns, particularly Salzburg, so rich hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

But a cave is still a cave. While they light it up with pretty colored lights and the rock and mineral formations could have interesting shapes, I'd rather have some beautifully-sunlit landscapes.

OTOH, this area is known for a lot of rain, so maybe something to do if it rains too much.
Both are near Hallstatt. The next town (Obertraun), an easy bus ride from Hallstatt, has a spectacular ice cave the Dachstein, well worth the steep hike to it - but you better wear really warm clothes for inside the cave! I had never been in a cave where the formations were all ice. And it's available as part of the great cable car rides up into the Alps with incredible views looking down on Lake Hallstatt - 5 fingers lookout.
Dachstein Salzkammergut :: Â*Fascination formations of ice and stone
Dachstein Salzkammergut :: Â*5fingers

We were blessed with a spectacular sunny day and not too much wind (good thing when you are standing on mountain peaks), and it was just unforgettable - even the the hand gliders sailing off right above my head. I so enjoyed the five-fingers lookout, and the views on the hike up to it were also incredible.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract..._Ice_Caves-Upper_Austria.html/BackUrl#REVIEWS

And of course, there is the salt mine and bronze age burial grounds just above Hallstatt. Funicular ride up and down. That just takes a few hours, so you have time to explore the very scenic town.

Last edited:
Yeah I saved the location of Five Fingers on custom Google Maps so that's definitely on the itinerary, if the weather cooperates.

Yeah I saved the location of Five Fingers on custom Google Maps so that's definitely on the itinerary, if the weather cooperates.
We caught the bus at the east end of Hallstatt (Hallstatt Markt?) in the morning, and it stops at the Obertraun Cable car location. We bought round trip tickets on the bus - it was just a few euros pp I think. The visitor info should have schedule and brochures. It is probably bus 543 that you want - but there may be different bus numbers depending on the season.
This might be useful even though it's from 2012. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...es_and_cable_car-Obertraun_Upper_Austria.html

Thing is, I don't want to have to pack a heavier jacket and other clothes for the cold just for one venue when rest of the time, it should be warm everywhere else during a 2-week trip.

Thing is, I don't want to have to pack a heavier jacket and other clothes for the cold just for one venue when rest of the time, it should be warm everywhere else during a 2-week trip.
Consider grabbing a train across the Alps to Italy.

Ha

Pretty much booked all my hotels, mostly in Austria.

If it's just an hour visit in the ice cave, maybe I can just do it with two layers and a good jacket.

Yeah - just skip it. The rest of the time up on the peaks outside is well worth it. Although with the altitude, if there is wind, you'd likely need a warm jacket anyway.

Yeah - just skip it. The rest of the time up on the peaks outside is well worth it. Although with the altitude, if there is wind, you'd likely need a warm jacket anyway.

Even in July/August? We'll be up there just for the day and don't plan on any other high altitude mountaintop stuff (other than hiking in Slovenia for several days, but it's lower altitude where we'll be I think).

How cold is the Dachstein ice cave? Literally freezing?

Also would depend on how long you would have to be inside, I would think.

If you can walk through in 15-30 minutes, not so bad. If you have to be in there more than an hour, need to really bundle up and keep moving?

Why not do both a cave and beautiful outdoor scenery? At the cave near Hallstatt you can do both. They even have a combo cave/ski lift ticket/observation platform ticket that gets you all that.

I like sunlit landscapes as much as the next person but we see those all the time. I've only seen one huge cave in my lifetime, so it's kind of a treat, and I hope to increment the cave-count by a few after visiting Slovenia and Austria. :)

But I guess it's like wineries. I enjoy alcohol. Wine is good. Vineyards are cool. Industrial manufacturing processes are neat. But I can't imagine wanting to see more than one of these in a lifetime.

Even in July/August? We'll be up there just for the day and don't plan on any other high altitude mountaintop stuff (other than hiking in Slovenia for several days, but it's lower altitude where we'll be I think).

How cold is the Dachstein ice cave? Literally freezing?
I think it is barely above 32 degrees during the summer, which is what keeps the ice formations from melting during the summer. Surfaces like handrails are very cold to the touch, so you need good hand protection. No wind though!

We've been in several caves, but never an ice cave, so for us it was a very neat experience.

You're inside less than an hour.

Mountain altitudes - temp drops 3 degrees for every 1000 feet. The higher you go, the more exposed you are to the elements, so wind can also be a huge factor. The peaks have perpetual snow. High mountain weather is highly variable.

We were there in mid September. I remember being happy to be wearing my parka up on the peaks even though it wasn't that windy. Maybe if you put on enough layers, have a decent windbreaker, have something to cover your ears, hands, and a scarf (neck) you'll be fine.

There are a ton of discussions on hiking difficulty, clothing, the experience overall, etc. on trip advisor and other forums. So you can get a good idea by reading a bunch of these. We went in 2014, so it's already been several years. Boy - the cable car rides were just awesome!!!!

We arrived in Munich on Sept 1, and the trees were already starting to turn, and it was coolish, so even though we didn't need our Polartec mittens and head coverings, the parka came in handy.

Salzburg in early September, however, was quite warm. It would have been nice to have an air conditioned room. Hot days, cool nights (but the rooms take all night to cool off without AC).

Last edited:
Thanks, Audrey. We'll be there in the middle of July so I'm guessing just about the warmest season. Hopefully our airbnb won't be scorching hot (can't recall if it has air but I figured it would be mild most likely). A commenter on my blog tipped me off to a thrift shop in a town in Slovenia where we'll be right before our stint in Austria so I might drop by and search out some warm weather gear there. I don't mind looking a bit silly for an hour long cave tour.

We did multiple tours in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky this past summer and it was incredible. I recall the temps were supposed to be in the 55-60 range and it felt very comfortable since we did a "moderate" strenuous tour that involved 500 steps/stairs IIRC and at times we were in a fast walk/jog to catch up to the group when we got spread out. But 32 is a lot colder than 55 so I don't think I can swing short sleeves and no gloves. :) I routinely wear shorts here in Raleigh in freezing weather even with light wind and do fine, but the fingers get cold. I might have to spend 10 minutes in my shed (with no wind) tomorrow morning and see how much I'm bothered by the cold.

I'm so excited to see this ice cave and DW has this as her #1 priority (her only "must see" on our 9 week trip). We'll see other caves this summer but just this one ice cave. Did you do the "Mammoth" cave at Dachstein too? I see they have multiple ticket options that include ice cave solo or along with Mammoth cave, plus lift ticket and observation deck options. For family pass, price to add everything isn't much more than ice cave+basic lift ticket alone (€35-40 IIRC)

No, we skipped the mammoth cave as I wanted plenty of time for the highest part and to go up to the five fingers lookout before too late in the afternoon. None of the reviews I read indicated the mammoth cave was a must see.

As for temps, they pretty much spell it out:
When visiting the caves (only permissible with a trained guide), we recommend that you wear robust shoes and warm clothing. Temperatures in the Ice cave rarely exceed freezing point and in the other caves there is only an average temperature of 4 °C.
So, yep, it was barely above freezing, and the other caves are pretty cold too (39 degrees).

You need good shoes because the metal walkways/stairs in the ice cave get a bit slick, and those metal rails - OMG - you've gotta have good gloves. It was a lot of up and down. We really enjoyed it though.

Last edited:
Wednesday I had a sightseeing tour of Bamberg and after that some time on my own just walking around. A very nice place even on a cloudy day in march.

Which was good! Because yesterday I was half the way to Regensburg in my rented Toyota Qi (Not the VW I ordered but quite fun to drive when not on the autobahn) - when the garage called - my RV would be completed tomorrow - one week ahead of schedule! Very impressive - but this means my Bavarian walkabout was cut short.

So I'll be heading north with my RV today - and go back later when it's warmer outside. And I'm keeping the list I made from this thread - thank you all again for all the good ideas.

So where is the RV trip taking you to? Please keep us updated.

Just the fastest route back to Norway this time. So lot's of autobahn and random camp sites for the night. Because of the repairs I could not bring my stuff so no bike, camping chairs/table, extra shoes/clothing, kitchen equipment, books to read etc. Will be back later when RV fully stocked and the temperature is more pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom