Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My first stay is in a small hotell in Schlusselfelt. And I've hired a tiny VW Lupo from wednesday to sunday. Will let both the weather and my impulse decide in which direction I go!

Today I need to rest after the journey here - and I'll try the hotel restaurant for dinner. Tomorrow I'll walk in the old city - it's just next door.
Schlüsselfeld, near Bamberg? Start from there, it's an amazing town, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Everything that's been mentioned is fine, so I'll throw in Augsburg. It's one of the oldest cities in Germany, far older than Munich for example, and has maybe the most beautiful Renaissance architecture north of the Alps.

What I found quite amusing is people suggesting Dresden or Salzburg when asked about a trip to Bavaria. American sense of distances, I guess.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:12 AM   #22

Not far from Nuremberg, fascinating history.
Also near Bamberg, my absolute favorite.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes it's close to Bamberg. And I'm definately visiting. Will look at the weather too and try to pick a nice time.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are close to Bamberg you might also visit Coburg and / or Bayreuth with castle and the garden 'hermitage"
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...rden/index.htm.
And the monastery of Banz is worth your time, too.
However, at this time of the year I would not want to miss the southern area like Tegernsee, Bad Tölz or Murnau or the alpine area of Garmisch Partenkirchen.
Oh, one week is so short...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Schlüsselfeld, near Bamberg? Start from there, it's an amazing town, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Everything that's been mentioned is fine, so I'll throw in Augsburg. It's one of the oldest cities in Germany, far older than Munich for example, and has maybe the most beautiful Renaissance architecture north of the Alps.

What I found quite amusing is people suggesting Dresden or Salzburg when asked about a trip to Bavaria. American sense of distances, I guess.
That's simply because a direct train from Munich to Salzburg is only 1.5 hours, so it's definitely doable, especially if you spend a couple of nights.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #26

There's the Prince-Bishop's residence in Wurzburg, definitely worth seeing. A lot of it was bombed out in WWII but it's been faithfully restored. The ceiling frescoes are incredible. Bring some opera glasses if you can.

Have a rauchbier in Bamberg and a glass of Silvaner in Wurzburg if you like to partake of adult beverages.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's simply because a direct train from Munich to Salzburg is only 1.5 hours, so it's definitely doable, especially if you spend a couple of nights.
Yes, definitely, and the drive to Dresden and Leipzig from northern Bavaria did not take long at all on our past trips to Germany.

Geography schmeography--thread topics' titles are just the tip of the iceberg anyway
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm flying in and out of MUC in August and will spend most of the time in Austria.

Much easier to get award tickets to MUC than Salzburg or Innsbruck. Or Vienna. But I think MUC is closer to Salzburg and certainly Innsbruck than Vienna.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We're spending a week there (plus 2 more days in Salzburg) this summer and the highlights for us are:
Neuschwanstein Castle (2 hrs by car; ~3 by train)
Residenz in town (big palace)
Dachau - Concentration camp; free other than a few bucks for parking; accessible w/ public transit
Hallstatt outside of Salzburg - ice cave nearby and beautiful little lake town

If you like touring palaces and castles, there's a Bayern (Bavaria) tourist pass that gets you into 65 or so state-run palaces and castles around Bavaria. It's €44 for a family pass, and I think a single adult pass is 1/2 that. It'll pay for itself after 2 visits to the more expensive palaces/castles like Munich Residenz and Neuschwanstein and gets you into a bunch of other places around the state.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Is it an ice cave or an old salt mine near Hallstatt?

I haven't researched it yet, just booked a couple of nights.

I don't get the fascination with caves, catacombs, etc. I know salt was a valuable commodity and is what made those towns, particularly Salzburg, so rich hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

But a cave is still a cave. While they light it up with pretty colored lights and the rock and mineral formations could have interesting shapes, I'd rather have some beautifully-sunlit landscapes.

OTOH, this area is known for a lot of rain, so maybe something to do if it rains too much.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #31

I'm with you about caves. On beautiful days I'd far rather be above ground. Hallstatt is gorgeous, as is St. Wolfgang, Alt Aussee, and all the other little towns. A boat ride is always nice. It can rain a lot, but don't let that daunt you. Have a coffee and a pastry in the bakery. I envy you--I'd like to be anywhere but MN in March right now. March is a depressing month.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Actually I'm going in late August and early September.

Supposedly that is when there is least rain there but it's a very rainy region otherwise.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #33

I didn't see any suggestion for the BMW museum and factory tour in Munich.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Is it an ice cave or an old salt mine near Hallstatt?

I haven't researched it yet, just booked a couple of nights.

I don't get the fascination with caves, catacombs, etc. I know salt was a valuable commodity and is what made those towns, particularly Salzburg, so rich hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

But a cave is still a cave. While they light it up with pretty colored lights and the rock and mineral formations could have interesting shapes, I'd rather have some beautifully-sunlit landscapes.

OTOH, this area is known for a lot of rain, so maybe something to do if it rains too much.
Both are near Hallstatt. The next town (Obertraun), an easy bus ride from Hallstatt, has a spectacular ice cave the Dachstein, well worth the steep hike to it - but you better wear really warm clothes for inside the cave! I had never been in a cave where the formations were all ice. And it's available as part of the great cable car rides up into the Alps with incredible views looking down on Lake Hallstatt - 5 fingers lookout.
Dachstein Salzkammergut :: Â*Fascination formations of ice and stone
Dachstein Salzkammergut :: Â*5fingers

We were blessed with a spectacular sunny day and not too much wind (good thing when you are standing on mountain peaks), and it was just unforgettable - even the the hand gliders sailing off right above my head. I so enjoyed the five-fingers lookout, and the views on the hike up to it were also incredible.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ackUrl#REVIEWS

And of course, there is the salt mine and bronze age burial grounds just above Hallstatt. Funicular ride up and down. That just takes a few hours, so you have time to explore the very scenic town.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I saved the location of Five Fingers on custom Google Maps so that's definitely on the itinerary, if the weather cooperates.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah I saved the location of Five Fingers on custom Google Maps so that's definitely on the itinerary, if the weather cooperates.
We caught the bus at the east end of Hallstatt (Hallstatt Markt?) in the morning, and it stops at the Obertraun Cable car location. We bought round trip tickets on the bus - it was just a few euros pp I think. The visitor info should have schedule and brochures. It is probably bus 543 that you want - but there may be different bus numbers depending on the season.
This might be useful even though it's from 2012. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...r_Austria.html
Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Thing is, I don't want to have to pack a heavier jacket and other clothes for the cold just for one venue when rest of the time, it should be warm everywhere else during a 2-week trip.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thing is, I don't want to have to pack a heavier jacket and other clothes for the cold just for one venue when rest of the time, it should be warm everywhere else during a 2-week trip.
Consider grabbing a train across the Alps to Italy.

Ha
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Pretty much booked all my hotels, mostly in Austria.

If it's just an hour visit in the ice cave, maybe I can just do it with two layers and a good jacket.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah - just skip it. The rest of the time up on the peaks outside is well worth it. Although with the altitude, if there is wind, you'd likely need a warm jacket anyway.