Join Early Retirement Today

What Was Your best Vacation?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What Was Your best Vacation?

OK we have heard about the disappointments. What about the best vacations ever? I think mine would be the one where we picked up a new car in Germany than drove it through Northern Italy. Stopped in Salzberg, Venice, Tuscany, Lake Como, and Porto Fino. Part of the fun was getting to know and drive a really neat car in really neat places.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #2

Mine was with my husband in 2004 - 3 weeks in France, Netherlands and England. We started in Paris, visited the normal sites then took the train to Metz France and rented a van (van too big - lesson learned). We took day trips to small towns in the Alsace area of France visiting war forts. Very interesting forts, not like I expected - underground and big - lots of history.

After France, we went to Amsterdam by train and visited the Van Gogh museum and the Anne Frank House, red light district (just to look!) and just goofed off and had a wonderful time.

Then we left by train to Brussels and hopped on the Eurostar (first class with wine and dinner) and traveled to London. More museums and just having a good time!

We went back to Paris and London the next year too (with our daughter). The year after that, 2006, my husband died. Best two years of vacations that money could buy!
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
gone traveling

Well, since we're retired, we no longer take "vacations" - they are just trips/travels ....

However, we've been blessed in being able to take many trips, both CONUS and around the world over the last 12+ years.

Each experience was quite unique. From the flowers in the Netherlands in spring, to the driving on "the wrong side of the road" in Scotland/Republic of Ireland.

One of my DW "favorites"? Venice. We've been there twice. The second time (at the start of a Med cruise) she left me on the ship (after traveling all night) and set on her own to discover the little "nooks and crannies" that Venice has.

There were those times that we got lost in France (while on a train), had very little knowledge of the language, and were sitting on a broken down train till we figured out what was happening.

There was that time we were at Urulu (Ayers Rock) in the outback of Australia, viewing the changing colors as the sun set (and we got "more and more happy" on a bottle of wine).

This year? We're going to London for three days (already have our tickets for a new play), followed by a two-week Baltic cruise (Nordic countries, Russia, etc.) in June.

In September, my wife will be heading off for a Nile River tour, along with her "travel buddy" (no, not me. Another gal who has the travel "bug").

In November, the two of them will be headed off to the Western U.S. to Canyon Lands, along with a side trip to Vegas (no, I don't want to know ).

We've been fortunate to have many experiences over the years. As for our "best"? Well, I would have to say our next "experience" - yet unknown....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
red light district (just to look!)
Sure. Your husband is the same as me ...

Not to be crass, but also notice the plastic "male public facilites". Nope - I did not partake - too shy ...

However upon returning home, I installed a few red fluorescent bulbs in the front windows of our home. Looks great ...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've posted this before, but my best vacation was spending 3 weeks in Kenya. The first two weeks were spent hiking around a huge rhino preserve, the last week was visiting various national parks and preserves on a private tour that I had arranged. Walking up Mt. Kenya with wild elephants was a little nerve racking, but memorable.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
we no longer take "vacations"
I never liked the term "vacation." My trips are more like shore leave from the Looney Cruise. Two of the best have been hiking in the English Lake District and backpacking through SE Asia.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Biking in southwest France. Vigorous daily exercise amid fairytale scenery and castles, followed by guiltless gastronomie on a nightly basis!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Biking in southwest France. Vigorous daily exercise amid fairytale scenery and castles, followed by guiltless gastronomie on a nightly basis!
C'est si bon!!!

OK, I'm kind of strange, but I do enjoy Steak tartare while traveling in "Euroland" - enjoyed in France, Germany, and even Sweden...
Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #9

Phuket, Thailand - sea kayaking through caves to hongs and night time boat ride back where we were lucky enough to see a moon halo...very mystical and romantic.

Iguacu Falls, Brazil. Absolutely fabulous!!!

Hawaii - Maui for 10th anniversary - need I say more?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My best? The next one, of course...
Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Enjoying 'our' secluded island in Canada. Fishing for small mouth bass during the day on smooth, pristine water. In the evening relaxing on the porch, drinking lemonade and vodka and listening to the stillness of the night.

Perfection.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
What about the best vacations ever?
Always the last one we took. or the next one we'll take.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My best vacations must have been in France but I can't figure which one was the absolute best:

The small chalet-hotel perched in the Alps with fantastic food, splendid views, and invigorating air?
The road trip through Brittany and the Loire Valley, alternating visits to breathtaking castles and local wine tastings?
Or the trip to Provence with a condo overlooking a semi-private beach with turquoise waters, a completely relaxed atmosphere, and gorgeous food served seaside with a fine Rose wine?

OK, so I guess if the food's good, it's going to be a good vacation for me...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It's too difficult for me to choose. I remember each trip fondly. Each had its own souvenirs, its own experiences. There were several destinations or journeys that I would not repeat nor do something similar, as we have become more and more seasoned as we travel. However, I still remember that we DID enjoy those trips, because we did not know better when we were young and inexperienced.

So, in that sense, I agree with previous posters that the best is yet to come!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My favorite was a trip to the Galapagos Islands about 5 years ago.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
My favorite was a trip to the Galapagos Islands about 5 years ago.
donheff, what made the Galapagos Islands your best trip? I may have a chance to go this year.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

No way I could pick one, but the ones that spring to mind (evidently memorable) in no particular order:
  • Sailing around Mystic Seaport, Newport RI, MV, etc.
  • Sailing around San Diego, La Jolla
  • A week on Nantucket (several times)
  • 4 days biking in Napa Valley visiting wineries + 4 days in San Francisco
  • Bar Harbor Maine (mostly Acadia NP).
YMMV of course. I am sure Europe, Asia would be memorable, but I lived in Germany for 4 years so I haven't vacationed there since.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #18

A difficult question as every vacation has been good in its own way. My first thought was a trip to HI in 1991 when my LH returned from 6 months in Saudi Arabia after Desert Storm. We were living in Pebble Beach at the time and flew to HI to spend two weeks on Oahu, Kaui, and the Big Island with our 8 year old son. Enjoyed the touring around, the beaches, snorkeling, diving(LH did this with my cousin), kayaking, etc. Second favorite trip(s) would have been touring up and down CA(Hwy 1) on week-ends.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
donheff, what made the Galapagos Islands your best trip? I may have a chance to go this year.
The animal life on the islands make them feel almost mystical. And the snorkeling is superb (you do need a shorty wetsuit). We took a fairly pricey trip (INCA) on a smallish yacht that could carry up to 18 passengers. The food was great, the cabin was luxurious and the guide was very professional. Everything worked perfectly. You can check out a boatload of photos from our trip if you are interested.

I know a lot of people who have toured the Galapagos on larger boats and have also found it to be a trip of their lifetime.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

"The small chalet-hotel perched in the Alps with fantastic food, splendid views, and invigorating air?"

FIREdreamer, could you tell us the name of the hotel and what area? I am a lover of the Alps. Thanks.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote