Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
November 4th
I guess the UK must reopen on the 5th of November then.... remember ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

With this summer's trip cancelled, I am hopeful for next summer.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #23

DW is hoping to visit her family in England in November. Perhaps they will give Commonwealth countries special consideration. She is hoping that the 14-day quarantine requirement will be lifted by then.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:41 AM   #24

Not Europe, but travel, none the less;
I was planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be precise, but decided not to after checking with the hotel.
I was told that there's a 14 day quarantine, and to enforce it, when checking in the room card/key will only work once; to get into the room. If I leave the room and the door locks behind me, I won't be able to get in. I'll have to go to the front desk, where they will let me back in AND call the police who will come and probably cite me but could actually arrest me if I do it more than once. Man! That is tight!

Lots of other restrictions after the 14 days as well. I'm told you are allowed to walk across the beach to get to the ocean, and to walk back, but you can not stroll the beach or stop, sit, lay or otherwise occupy the beach. No opening date for that.

So I'm not going to plan a trip. At least not until I can freely enjoy the past times of the amenities.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I was told that there's a 14 day quarantine, and to enforce it, when checking in the room card/key will only work once; to get into the room. If I leave the room and the door locks behind me, I won't be able to get in. I'll have to go to the front desk, where they will let me back in AND call the police who will come and probably cite me but could actually arrest me if I do it more than once.
At least you could learn to hula at the reeducation camp. (After the thrice daily confession-of-sins classes, of course.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-19-2020, 04:54 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Well, islands need to be stricter about most everything. I bet the hoteliers hate these rules, though - terrible for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Not Europe, but travel, none the less;
I was planning a trip to Hawaii, Maui to be precise, but decided not to after checking with the hotel.
I was told that there's a 14 day quarantine, and to enforce it, when checking in the room card/key will only work once; to get into the room. If I leave the room and the door locks behind me, I won't be able to get in. I'll have to go to the front desk, where they will let me back in AND call the police who will come and probably cite me but could actually arrest me if I do it more than once. Man! That is tight!

Lots of other restrictions after the 14 days as well. I'm told you are allowed to walk across the beach to get to the ocean, and to walk back, but you can not stroll the beach or stop, sit, lay or otherwise occupy the beach. No opening date for that.

So I'm not going to plan a trip. At least not until I can freely enjoy the past times of the amenities.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Our trip home from Berlin was cancelled, and American Airlines is still hoarding our airfares.

We have been going to Europe yearly, however have given up on going anywhere this year.
Domestic trips no longer interest us, as we seldom even visit cities 100 miles away. Other than going to our RV in the mountains, we're hanging in semi-quarantine.
June 19 Covid Map from NYT
Old 06-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

June 19 Covid Map from NYT

As long as Covid is very active in US, Europe should protect its citizens and close the borders to the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Covid June 19.JPG (96.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here in Norway we have opened our borders to Denmark and Finland. But not to other neighboring countries like Sweden or the Brits. The difference being how well the countries have stopped COVID-19 - or not.

From over here it very much looks like the US is in the "or not" category.

Not that my country is perfect - we have our covidiots too. The number of cases is slightly up recently after we lifted some restrictions and then the distance ignoring BLM-demos we had in several of our cities. Many people in their twenties have stopped distancing and hand washing.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was Googling around on this topic over the weekend and came upon this article, which was updated on June 19th. The statement that caught my eye was that Germany has extended its border restrictions for non-EU countries until August 31st. I poked around a bit to try to confirm that, and it appears true. The linked DW source calls them "warnings", but I assume that it amounts to the same thing. That's put my mood back a bit. I still think September may be possible, but I'm certainly not trying to book any travel yet.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/is-int...will-it-resume
Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
As long as Covid is very active in US, Europe should protect its citizens and close the borders to the US.
Gosh, they can say whatever they want to about weather reducing the virus impact, but the hot and humid southeast is clearly rocking the COVID-19 infections!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I still think September may be possible, but I'm certainly not trying to book any travel yet.
Other than some cursory/superficial 'research' on Ukraine, we've made zero commitments/plans - if we can go around the start of October it'll be "There's a train leaving for Toronto Airport in 15 minutes, where are my socks?"

June 22 Covid Map from NYT
Old 06-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

June 22 Covid Map from NYT

June 22 Covid Map from NYT. Getting worse in many places.

Why would a healthy sane person voluntarily fly through/to any NYC airports on way to Europe or from EU to the USA?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COVID today.JPG (170.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #34

Everything canceled for this year, so the first trip of any length we have scheduled is next August (2021) in Alaska. At this point we're just hoping that one works out.

Sure do miss Europe!
Old 06-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
June 22 Covid Map from NYT. Getting worse in many places.

Why would a healthy sane person voluntarily fly through/to any NYC airports on way to Europe or from EU to the USA?
Thats the wrong map :-) What you're looking at is the cumulative numbers map. Instead you should be looking at the hot-spots tab. Incidentally, the number of new cases in the NY-NJ area has drastically fallen and is far below that of most other areas now.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

This website: 91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19 allows you to create your own comparisons of the infection statistics in various states.
Attached Images
File Type: png normalized_infections.png (139.7 KB, 50 views)
NYT: EU to ban American travel?? June 23
Old 06-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

NYT: EU to ban American travel?? June 23

E.U. May Bar American Travelers as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus
European Union officials are racing to agree on who can visit the bloc as of July 1 based on how countries of origin are faring with new coronavirus cases. Americans, so far, are excluded, according to draft lists seen by The New York Times.

June 23, 2020
Updated 2:04 p.m. ET

BRUSSELS — European Union countries rushing to revive their economies and reopen their borders after months of coronavirus restrictions are prepared to block Americans from entering because the United States has failed to control the scourge, according to draft lists of acceptable travelers seen by The New York Times.

[mod edit]

Travelers from the United States and the rest of the world already had been excluded from visiting the European Union — with few exceptions mostly for repatriations or “essential travel” —- since mid-March. But a final decision on reopening the borders is expected early next week, before the bloc reopens on July 1.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...ravel-ban.html
Old 06-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'm guessing it'll be around the same time it opens up for Canadians.....but, ¿Quién sabe?
As it turns out, it may open up for Canadians before Americans.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
As it turns out, it may open up for Canadians before Americans.
Canary meet Coal Mine?

Old 06-23-2020, 11:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The EU would be smart to not allow US travelers to visit, there is still no instant test and would an infected person have to turn around and fly home immediately, or jail ?

What would be the realistic and effective procedure to deal with infected people landing at the airport ?