When will Europe open for American visitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, clearly the US and Canada are treated differently by the EU in terms of how well they are handling virus containment.

As I say, I wasn't concerned about, or focusing on, Canada....just following the meme.

(It appears I've unintentionally disrupted this thread enough, so I'll bow out....for now. ;) )

Last edited:
In the meantime, we just hang back at home leading a quiet life. I missed our April European trip, but we have a RV in the mountains and a lake house to take our vacation time for 2020.

We're taking off 7/6 for a week that's essentially a staycation visiting historic sights in and around our home town. And for now, that's okay.

Since I'd heard, (rightly or wrongly), at the time I posted, that the Brits, with more deaths percentagewise, were being allowed to travel to Spain, (the example I was given), I wondered why it appeared that Americans were not.

I was not comparing, nor was it my intention to compare, the UK with other European countries, I was simply, (and I'm a simple person), following the thread's meme.

It's not the deaths, it's the number of new cases per day

UK about 800 per day
USA about 44,000 per day :eek:

Reactions: jj
Europeans made their choice. Thing about the 15 countries is that they're not collectively going to bring a lot of people, unless China complies.

NZ, Australia, Canada and other countries are going to have quarantines for anyone entering their countries. That would include their own citizens returning after a trip to Europe.

So tourists from those countries may not face quarantines when they enter Europe but they would when they re-enter their home countries.

Also they say it's based strictly on case numbers and how reliable those numbers are but they included the Balkans on the list and many countries like Switzerland have excluded them because people who visited the Balkans have been re-importing infections.

In any event, the European airlines are in trouble and so is their aerospace firm, Airbus announcing 15,000 layoffs.

They're going to have to hope the EU countries visiting each other will replace some level of revenues.

I believe that Europe has absolutely done the right thing. They are not willing to get short term gains at the expense of lasting long term gains.

One only has to look at what is going on now in the US to understand why Europe has had some success at fighting the virus.

We are considering international travel later in the year. Our plan is to avoid any flight routing that have us stopping/changing planes in the US or the UK.

Europe also let in Serbia and people coming from Serbia are brining infections to Switzerland and now Greece.

Probably some other countries too.

Europe also let in Serbia and people coming from Serbia are brining infections to Switzerland and now Greece.

Probably some other countries too.

OK - initially that Tennis pro tour was in Serbia last month because they had very low cases. Now Serbia has a big outbreak? Is it because of all those non-social distancing large crowd tennis events? That tour brought in a lot of tennis pros (and their staff) from other countries with no quarantine ps required.

OK - initially that Tennis pro tour was in Serbia last month because they had very low cases. Now Serbia has a big outbreak? Is it because of all those non-social distancing large crowd tennis events? That tour brought in a lot of tennis pros (and their staff) from other countries with no quarantine ps required.

No I read that Serbia just may not have been completely transparent with its data.

Apparently there was or is going to be an election there and the ruling party may have dressed up the numbers.

Here's to Europe

Whether its the EU, France, Germany, whatever..... they seem to have the right to close their borders to certain people - IF they deduce that people from certain places will bring problems to their country.

I am so glad a majority supports that.

I support it 100% not just for Europe - but for America too.

Being consistent is important....

I see! So Tennis Tour thinks it’s safe because the real numbers were suppressed - hmmmmm.

The USA is a big place. It seems to me that the EU could be more discriminating by only barring travelers from certain states where there is currently a problem.

Now is the time one wishes he/she held dual citizenship.

The USA is a big place. It seems to me that the EU could be more discriminating by only barring travelers from certain states where there is currently a problem.
Well for one thing, they don’t know if the US citizen has recently been in an area with a major problem.

Now is the time one wishes he/she held dual citizenship.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My family holds dual citizenship with a European country but that will not get us into Europe at the moment as we will have to fly in from the USA.

Then we run into the same issue that caused the U.S. to bar all Schengen travelers a few months ago instead of just those who'd been to Italy. There's no way to look at a U.S. or EU passport and know whether the holder has been in a hotspot recently. You cannot trust travelers, especially those with non-refundable reservations, to be honest about that.

Every passport has an address on it. Use that. It's not perfect, but should be sufficient.
Then we run into the same issue that caused the U.S. to bar all Schengen travelers a few months ago instead of just those who'd been to Italy. There's no way to look at a U.S. or EU passport and know whether the holder has been in a hotspot recently. You cannot trust travelers, especially those with non-refundable reservations, to be honest about that.

Every passport has an address on it. Use that. It's not perfect, but should be sufficient.

Except that we were always told to complete the address page in pencil, because it's subject to change. So really not too much use if someone wants to get around that kind of rule.

Require that it match your driver's license. If they want the tourist dollars, they'll figure out a way to make it work.
Except that we were always told to complete the address page in pencil, because it's subject to change. So really not too much use if someone wants to get around that kind of rule.

The only thing is that many flights aren't direct, so to get to heathrow, for example, most Americans would have had to fly though hotspots, crammed into a plan for hours on ends with others who might well have done a lot of the same. Or, ones that just spent two weeks in Florida before returning home to Maine before their trip.

And since most trips are booked weeks in advance, today's low-risk state might well be the next hot spot, given how...things are right now.

Probably next summer - maybe June 2021 .. that's when a safe vaccine will be available.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. My family holds dual citizenship with a European country but that will not get us into Europe at the moment as we will have to fly in from the USA.

Check with your embassy or consulate as most offer repatrician flights. While more expensive my family has been able to use them several times this year to travel between the USA and SA. My wife is actually flying up again in two weeks.

Thanks for an interesting discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom