Why do people buy timeshares?

Timeshares are certainly for a small fraction and to make it cost effective you need to buy from secondary market. The surveys of dissatisfaction are mostly from people that bought direct.

I would be surprised if you can rent a timeshare for less than the owner pays in annual maintenance fee or a $300 getaway that only owners can purchase.

Also I should point out just because I bought at at a location does not mean you have to return ever. I bought a location and have never been there, I use it other places (timeshares). I use my Sheraton Vistana Villages to go to Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort on Maui instead.

Also if you do not want to rent to someone else the programs I have you can use the following year, than if you put it in II you have another 2 years to use and it goes on and on the flexibility.....There are so many options it makes your head spin at first.

Well we attend an event where they use 2 oz glasses each patron get one empty glass upon entry....so one beer 2 oz..a better question would be why you feel so negative to people who simply want to enjoy an adult event at Disney...it's not my cup of tea either but if they want to go to Disney properties 50 times that's their choice.the person just mentioned it was a challenge to sample everything. If they want a Disney timeshare and think it's a good value more power to them.That was the original question by the OP..every travel experience has good and bad points.it's an individual choice just like a timeshare purchase.

I live in a 55+ golf community in Orlando. Many of my community members moved here from all 50 states just so they could go to Walt Disney World as often as they liked. Most go more than once a week.

They go to all of the advertised events and concerts, the not-advertised events held for locals, the daily parades, the food, the fireworks, etc. They volunteer at WDW. They are saturated in the cult that is DISNEY. And they are really nice people that seem normal as we all go about our daily lives. But they wanted to retire with that option, and dreamed about it for years before coming here. And they're happy....laughing...celebrating the way they want to live their life.

My DH and I....we didn't drink the Disney cool-aid. DH grew up here, went to high school and college here, remembers when Disney was a want-to-be big shot in the area. BUT.....we do go to the Christmas Candlelight Processional every year in EPCOT because it is fabulous. (This year we have reservations for a date for Whoopie Goldberg to read the Christmas Story.)

We all like being eccentric. Thanks for the compliment Nemo2!

Last edited:
Timeshares are certainly for a small fraction and to make it cost effective you need to buy from secondary market. The surveys of dissatisfaction are mostly from people that bought direct.

I would be surprised if you can rent a timeshare for less than the owner pays in annual maintenance fee or a $300 getaway that only owners can purchase.

Also I should point out just because I bought at at a location does not mean you have to return ever. I bought a location and have never been there, I use it other places (timeshares). I use my Sheraton Vistana Villages to go to Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort on Maui instead.

Also if you do not want to rent to someone else the programs I have you can use the following year, than if you put it in II you have another 2 years to use and it goes on and on the flexibility.....There are so many options it makes your head spin at first.

I wouldn't expect to rent a timeshare for less than the owners annual maintenance fee. And I don't care whether I pay more — it's simply relative to other accommodations available to me in a given location.

And I didn't put down an initial large amount and I have no ongoing financial obligations either.

The whole point system, exchanging, finding availability, etc. was way too complicated for me. I would never have the patience for it.

That is why I will never publish the yearly amount I spend on clothes .Some of the folks here would have a stroke ! I probably am responsible for saving JJill from bankruptcy .

Repent! Now have three bloody Marys, and henceforth quarter thy dryer sheets...

I wouldn't expect to rent a timeshare for less than the owners annual maintenance fee. And I don't care whether I pay more — it's simply relative to other accommodations available to me in a given location.

And I didn't put down an initial large amount and I have no ongoing financial obligations either.

The whole point system, exchanging, finding availability, etc. was way too complicated for me. I would never have the patience for it.

Agreed it would not work for you. But you don't have to put an initial large amount for timeshare ($1 can buy some). You will have an ongoing fee however as you state. But of course if you take a 1 week vacation every year or every 2 years than you will pay anyway.

Agreed it would not work for you. But you don't have to put an initial large amount for timeshare ($1 can buy some). You will have an ongoing fee however as you state. But of course if you take a 1 week vacation every year or every 2 years than you will pay anyway.

We take lots of "vacations" as retirees, but rarely spend time at resorts. In the last 18 years of retirement, I think we've stayed at resort type areas twice. We tend to move around a lot when traveling.

Some people are going back and forth over if the decision is good or bad... and the people who think it is good seem to be getting mad at the people who think it is bad...

I think it is a bad financial decision in most ways... but as others have said, it can be more than just a financial decision...

However, most people who buy do regret buying... it is #1 on a list of things people regret buying...

Things Most People Regret Buying - Personal Finance Advice

Also, there are many reasons not to buy....

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/top-ten-reasons-think-twice-before-buying-timeshare.html

r...

Not at all. I enjoy hearing opposite opinions. what we get mad at is when you call us "suckers".

I do, in NO way consider myself a sucker because I purchased my timeshare. I love it, I use it and I plan on enjoying it for another 20-30 years God willing.

I think it's possible to dissent without disparaging others, don't we get enough of that in real life:confused: :flowers:

anyhoo, I'm off in a few days to enjoy my sucker purchase down at Disney for the food and wine festival. can't wait.

Last edited:
Not at all. I

anyhoo, I'm off in a few days to enjoy my sucker purchase down at Disney for the food and wine festival. can't wait.

We (DW,myself, FIL/MIL, Brother/SIL/Adult kids) will be at Food and Wine starting October 28 for 3 weeks in our timeshares as well. Should be a blast as always.

If you buy resale and if you learn the ropes it will work but it is a hobby to do that: Here is a survey:How happy are you with your Marriott ownership? | Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums

I'm glad to hear some people have made the time share thing work. If you treat it as a hobby, under the "recreation and leisure" budget, why not?

But, for the record, very few people on this forum post about how much they hate early retirement. Any poll here on "how happy are you with your ER" would be biased.

Likewise any poll on a timeshare forum.

Three timeshare presentations to date. NO more planned.

The first...in Daytona beach was for entertainment value. Walked away with a $100 cheque. Spent two entertaining hours listening to the 'pitch' and watching others who were being pitched.

The second was in Thailand. Paid $70. for a week at a high end resort. Had to sit through a lunch and a dinner presentation. No sweat. Also said no to the phoney 'vacation club' and was told that we were walking away from thousands in travel savings. But that it the pitich...focus the customer on savings not expenditures.

The third was at the same resort in Thailand, two years later. Same deal. Only we left two days early because we had some air reservations.

No more time share presentations for us.

I'm glad to hear some people have made the time share thing work. If you treat it as a hobby, under the "recreation and leisure" budget, why not?

But, for the record, very few people on this forum post about how much they hate early retirement. Any poll here on "how happy are you with your ER" would be biased.

Likewise any poll on a timeshare forum.

Correct. That is the value of targeted surveys, demonstrates that there is a sub group (in this case majority that purchase resale and have an interest in learning the ins/outs) that is significantly more satisfied than those that do not purchase resale and learn the ins/outs.

Three timeshare presentations to date. NO more planned.

The first...in Daytona beach was for entertainment value. Walked away with a $100 cheque. Spent two entertaining hours listening to the 'pitch' and watching others who were being pitched.

The second was in Thailand. Paid $70. for a week at a high end resort. Had to sit through a lunch and a dinner presentation. No sweat. Also said no to the phoney 'vacation club' and was told that we were walking away from thousands in travel savings. But that it the pitich...focus the customer on savings not expenditures.

The third was at the same resort in Thailand, two years later. Same deal. Only we left two days early because we had some air reservations.

No more time share presentations for us.

I'm probably wired so differently from you. I attend all sorts of presentations especially if freebies are made available and generally I come away with one or two things I didn't know -- could be about anything. We've must have attended around 15 timeshare presentations over the last 20 years, 5 dinners for estate planning the last 5 years, 10 lunches/dinners for retirement planning the last 5 years, and 5 lunches for assisted living facilities this past 3 years. Every two weeks or so, we get an invitation to attend something.

Perhaps we're serial attendees and we have a problem. Most of my friends scoff at our attending the dinners. We invited a couple we've known for a long time (as we thought this particular retirement planning would be helpful to them) to the dinner/seminar -- they declined -- thought this was a waste of their time -- though all they do is watch TV or stay on the computer all day and evening long. Funny, if they attended one of these seminars that covered Social Security planning they probably would have avoided the blundering move they made several years ago regarding retirement benefits. They admittedly confessed to us how they left a lot of money on the table with their Social Security retirement moves -- I estimated around $50K-80K of change was left on their table.

Most of these presentations are not very helpful to us in so far as the subject of presentation goes. My wife does not like going to most of them, but occasionally the lunch or dinner is decent. I'm an extrovert and enjoy meeting new people, any way. I'm always curious about the manner in which the product or service will be pitched -- I listen patiently, ask one or two questions if I don't understand something, and listen to my wife bemoan "never again" after we head out of the presentation.

Last edited:
Just got this email today and hit the delete button. They give an extra $150 for attending the presentation and even more perks if you refuse to attend when you check in.

6 Days + 5 Nights on Maui for only $698

Includes Avis® Rental Car PLUS your choice of 5,000 Starpoints® or a $75 Resort Certificate

This is the last invitation for you and your spouse to experience the island of Maui, Hawaiʻi with a stay at The Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas. This limited-time offer has been extended one last time until October 17, 2017.

VIBRANT ISLAND EXPERIENCES

Relax on the #1 beach in the U.S. before going paddleboarding, kayaking, snorkeling, diving and more. Explore paradise by hiking, biking or zip lining or take a scenic tour by horseback, motor coach or ATV. Delight in the resort’s pools, restaurants and rejuvenating treatments at Spa Helani, a Heavenly Spa by Westin®.

THIS EXCLUSIVE $698 VACATION PACKAGE INCLUDES:
6 Days + 5 Nights at The Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas, a AAA Four Diamond-rated resort

Your choice of 5,000 Starpoints from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program OR a $75 Resort Certificate for spa services, dining or activities during your stay

6-Day Avis Rental Car for sightseeing, adventure and travel around the island

We are also excited to introduce you to Westin Vacation Club. Through a personalized tour and presentation, you’ll discover flexible vacations and an award-winning villa resort collection.

Your tour includes an introduction to The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui’s newest villa resort and an authentic reflection of island culture. We invite you to explore and enjoy its amenities during your stay.

CALL 1-888-891-7601

Just got this email today and hit the delete button. They give an extra $150 for attending the presentation and even more perks if you refuse to attend when you check in.

Includes Avis® Rental Car PLUS your choice of 5,000 Starpoints® or a $75 Resort Certificate

This is the last invitation for you and your spouse to experience the island of Maui, Hawaiʻi with a stay at The Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas. This limited-time offer has been extended one last time until October 17, 2017.

Relax on the #1 beach in the U.S. before going paddleboarding, kayaking, snorkeling, diving and more. Explore paradise by hiking, biking or zip lining or take a scenic tour by horseback, motor coach or ATV. Delight in the resort’s pools, restaurants and rejuvenating treatments at Spa Helani, a Heavenly Spa by Westin®.

6 Days + 5 Nights at The Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas, a AAA Four Diamond-rated resort

Your choice of 5,000 Starpoints from the Starwood Preferred Guest® program OR a $75 Resort Certificate for spa services, dining or activities during your stay

We are also excited to introduce you to Westin Vacation Club. Through a personalized tour and presentation, you’ll discover flexible vacations and an award-winning villa resort collection.

Your tour includes an introduction to The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Maui’s newest villa resort and an authentic reflection of island culture. We invite you to explore and enjoy its amenities during your stay.

CALL 1-888-891-7601

Makes me wonder what the profit margin is on these timeshares if they can offer all that for a low low price of $698 and where did they come up with that amount? I'd like to go through the sales training and see how they teach mind control. Then I could use that training on my DH and family to do what I wanted, whenever I wanted. That training must be priceless.

I'd like to go through the sales training and see how they teach mind control.

Many decades ago I attended a company sales rally.....there was this one 'motivational speaker' with the (cheap) trick of getting the audience (all sales reps) to finish the end (out loud) of the last word in a particular sentence (he used postures to impart to them when this was required).

All very Pavlovian, and the short time it took was, to me and a couple others with whom I was sitting (at the back), quite startling.

(Needless to say we didn't comply, but I think we all viewed our fellow reps in a slightly different light from then on.)

CALL 1-888-891-7601

I got the same offer. Now I don't feel special :facepalm:

They neglect to mention there is a $30 per day resort fee + taxes, so that adds $180 + ~$80 to the price.

My actual concern with this is they could screw you over by claiming you didn't attend the timeshare sales pitch long enough, etc, and charge full rate to your credit card.

I purchased my first timeshare from the developer in 2008. I had not done my homework.

Since then I have purchased 3 more from the resale market. I LOVE my timeshares. I have one awesome little unit in Wisconsin that I have gotten 32 weeks of use timesharing out of since 2014.

We have stayed onsite at Disney and traded into some really incredible Marriotts and my stays have averaged <$60 per day mostly for 2-3 bedroom units (The 3 Disney weeks were 1 bedroom). This includes the maintenance fees and exchange fees. There is no way I would have been able to afford the kind of travel we have done had it not been for my timeshare.

Then there is the value of traveling with family and friends. My mother is 80 and looks forward to every trip.

There may come a day when I don't travel so much but for now I can't imagine being without this option.

I still go to the owners updates. I figure it is $100/hr and we use the prepaid visa cards toward our next Disney Annual pass. I figure at $100/hr I can sit and be respectful for an hour but at the end I can show them what I can do with the same $19,000 they want me to spend :)

Back
Top Bottom