Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
About 34 years ago, on an R&R from Saudi, I hooked up with my ex-wife and the guy she was with, (a Toronto cop).............he very proudly told me about a road trip they'd made, from Toronto to Florida.

"I planned it like a military operation" he said, (even the rest stops/potty breaks were scheduled...with no deviations).

My (unspoken) reaction was "I'll bet she just ***** loved that".
Hopefully the lines weren't long at the potty breaks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Wild & crazy travel plan, for us at least
Old 03-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wild & crazy travel plan, for us at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
txtig: you may find it difficult to find lodging close to the western National Parks if you just win it. They get very crowded during summer.

I thought about that. But, we plan to be traveling the months of April and May, so maybe the parks won’t be so crowded since school won’t be out yet? Anyways, that our plan (or lack thereof). Hope it works out. Thanks for the feedback.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I thought about that. But, we plan to be traveling the months of April and May, so maybe the parks won’t be so crowded since school won’t be out yet? Anyways, that our plan (or lack thereof). Hope it works out. Thanks for the feedback.
Certain parks never really have off season...that just means you might not be in close proximity to the park. Was in Moab one September and every motel had a note on their front door that said no rooms available.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A buddy of mine and I took off in his ‘68 Shelby convertible towing his folks pop up trailer back in 1977 heading west. Spent June through October traveling a little less than 5000 miles throughout the western half of the US. We had spent weeks making 8 track tapes to play while we drove.

The only ‘snap’ decision we had to make was when a ranger came to our campsite and said we’d either need to get over a pass in Colorado before they closed it or plan on being snowed in for a few days. Good times.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Very encouraging replies so far! Only took us 60+ years to be “spontaneous”...we’re really looking forward to our adventure. We’re headed to VA and may end up in NC too this trip.

What type of personality do you have? Are you a “planner” for non-vacation living? Are you comfortable being spontaneous in general?

I ask because a year or so ago we planned to take a vacation similar to what you’ve described, but I am a planner and had a VERY hard time being spontaneous. I’d like to try again, maybe with an RV next time, hopefully with a better result...

I hope it works out for you. Let us know the outcome.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
A buddy of mine and I took off in his ‘68 Shelby convertible towing his folks pop up trailer back in 1977 heading west. Spent June through October traveling a little less than 5000 miles throughout the western half of the US. We had spent weeks making 8 track tapes to play while we drove.

The only ‘snap’ decision we had to make was when a ranger came to our campsite and said we’d either need to get over a pass in Colorado before they closed it or plan on being snowed in for a few days. Good times.
Had to look that up, I never knew that was possible. Learned something new.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When I freestyle travel, I stop at Interstate rest areas and pickup hotel discount coupon books. They are often like green or red in color. The coupon books actually make travel affordable again.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:
In a few weeks, we’re heading off for 8 days, with nothing booked and no itinerary - that’ll be a first for us and a huge departure from our past. We’ve had vacations as long as two weeks where activities and every meal was planned for every day, and of course hotel(s) were booked.
This sounds awesome. I want to do exactly what you are about to embark upon. DH and I (heading to Boston's North Shore) did something similar years ago --just struck out driving, knowing we would end up at our destination... eventually. It was our best trip ever to MA.

An ex-colleague and her husband did more along the lines of what you are about to do and drove north and western USA. They had a wonderful time, never knowing where they would spend the next night, no Interstates ...and they do not usually get along. They stayed at mom & pop roadside motels that they happened upon along the way. The trip took about three weeks. My friend sent the best photos or Roadside America.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Very encouraging replies so far! Only took us 60+ years to be “spontaneous”...we’re really looking forward to our adventure. We’re headed to VA and may end up in NC too this trip.
I vote for Asheville, NC. Once you arrive in Virginia take the Blue Ridge Parkway down to NC. Very Scenic.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

No, never did anything like it. Most of our trips are for photography and I want to research ahead to make the most of our time. However, on one trip we realized mid-day that we should have booked our hotel for the night in a different town. We were able to re-book it from the smartphone without even stopping the car.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Certain parks never really have off season...that just means you might not be in close proximity to the park. Was in Moab one September and every motel had a note on their front door that said no rooms available.
I like the idea of booking as you go but certain areas you have to book way ahead. Most places in between should work tho.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #32

we use to do similar when we were young and dumb. Usually with little funds which made it more difficult. Just find a place to pitch the tent.

Really not a big deal if you have a way to pay for the unexpected.. like the next meal. Just enjoy the directions it takes you.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I like the idea of booking as you go but certain areas you have to book way ahead. Most places in between should work tho.
We haven’t done a US road trip in a long time. But I usually only make advanced reservations if I have to - ie. we are going to a popular area in a busier season and want our pick. If lodging is plentiful we won’t bother.

In Europe I’ve found that wherever we want to visit is popular and the better places to stay fill up months in advance, even in supposed “shoulder” season. We are often running a bit behind and first choice locations are already full when we make our reservations 3 months in advance! But I’m rarely willing to plan farther ahead than that.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
I vote for Asheville, NC. Once you arrive in Virginia take the Blue Ridge Parkway down to NC. Very Scenic.
I agree Asheville is a wonderful place, but we’ve been there twice (incl the BRP), so we may not make it there this trip.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

We did it once years ago .It was great except on the way back we had a hard time finding a hotel . We finally found a day's Inn late at night and checked in and went to sleep .When we awoke and saw that room in the light of day I almost vomited . It was filthy with some weird stains on the bed.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
I agree Asheville is a wonderful place, but we’ve been there twice (incl the BRP), so we may not make it there this trip.
I did Asheville less than a decade ago. Well, a big loop starting in OH. Just packed the V-Strom up with tent et al and no plans of where to stay. Just camped along the way. Was a great trip an met nice people. Still in touch with some today.

Thanks for bringing that back up in my memory
Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #37

Sounds fun!

Don't bring any critters home with you though. I'm thinking of bed bugs, even nice hotels get them. Check for signs under the mattress. Keep your belongings off the floors and off the beds.

We ran into them on vacation several years ago at a LaQuinta Inn. Our old neighbor is an exterminator and I called him freaked out. He told me to take all of our clothes to a laundry mat (dryers are very hot) before going home and dry on high heat for 40 minutes. The heat won't shrink your clothes if they're not wet. You can also take the clothing to the dry cleaner and have them streamed on high heat.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Sounds fun!

Don't bring any critters home with you though. I'm thinking of bed bugs, even nice hotels get them. Check for signs under the mattress. Keep your belongings off the floors and off the beds.

We ran into them on vacation several years ago at a LaQuinta Inn. Our old neighbor is an exterminator and I called him freaked out. He told me to take all of our clothes to a laundry mat (dryers are very hot) before going home and dry on high heat for 40 minutes. The heat won't shrink your clothes if they're not wet. You can also take the clothing to the dry cleaner and have them streamed on high heat.
That is great if you catch them before you get home. I got them from a Crown Plaza in a major east cost city on a business trip. Found them after I got home. DW is hyper sensitive to almost any insect bite. Getting ride of them after they are in your house is a royal pain. We did not go to anyone's house or hotel until we were bug free. I'm pretty sure the hotel knew then had them as I recall a heavy chemical smell. we all know about hindsight
Old 03-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Depending on which national parks you are going to in the West you may run into cold temps and a lot of snow in April and May.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When I freestyle travel, I stop at Interstate rest areas and pickup hotel discount coupon books. They are often like green or red in color. The coupon books actually make travel affordable again.
That's my typical MO also.
Quote:
The hotels tend to be pricey there anyway.

All the talk about hotels being booked long in advance made me realize that none of my favorite road trips involved places where gobs of tourists gather.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote