Join Early Retirement Today

Working in Europe
Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Working in Europe

Haven't been logged on for ever, anyway, when oil jumped I got drawn out of retirement and into consulting (independent contractor).

I've tried to keep w@%k to a minimum but now an opportunity is presenting itself and it looks fun.

The company (US based) has properties in Europe and I will most likely be consulting there. As I have never left the States, what kinds of things do I need to be looking at as far as consulting in France, Spain and Italy? I expect 3-4 months at a time will be required.

I guess basics will need to be overseas medical coverage of some sort, housing, communications (cellular and internet) & transportation?

What are the nuances of each of these and what else am I missing?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you going to be based out of the US or in one of these locations? Do you have work permits for the locations mentioned?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be based in the U.S. Will work permits be required? Remember, I've never traveled or worked abroad. Don't know the first thing about any of it. Perhaps I could be an international observer, wait, that sounds like something that starts wars?
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It depends...

How Long Can I Stay in Europe on a Schengen Visa?

Most European countries are party to the Schengen treaty which entitles you to work or visit for 90 days. But do check it out before you go, as apparently you can't come and go at will on a Schengen visa.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, that's getting me on the right path. I also found Rick Steve's web site for some general travel info.

Any other advice, links, etc.

Great group of people here, including Nords
Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DOING BUSINESS IN EUROPE - A Practical Handbook for Entrepreneurs.

Doing Business in Europe - An Etiquette Primer for Americans

There is a ton of information available on the Web. If you can identify the specific countries you are interested in, some of us European expats may be able to give you more specific help.

Bonne chance!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Here is how to apply for a Schengen Visa or for a short business stay in France (or if the majority of your stay will be in France):

Short stay visa (Schengen visa) - Consulat Général de France Ã* Washington

Note, it's limited to a period of 90 days for the whole Schengen space (which includes France, Spain and Italy). You won't qualify for a Schengen visa if your stay exceeds 90 days per semester within the whole Schengen space. So it doesn't look like you would be able to spend 3 months in Spain, then 3 months in France, then 3 months in Italy. You will have to come home for at least 3 months in between each stay.

I can help you with France (lived/worked there many years), just tell me what you need to know in particular and I will be glad to help you.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You will also need to look at the tax aspect, that is your liability to the countries you may be working in.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to be careful on your time, your clock doesn't reset once you leave the Schenegan Area. I believe it's 90 days every six months. You will love Europe, especially those countries you mentioned above.

As for taxes, get paid in Dollars, in the USA, it will make your life easier.

Billman
billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

So no tax liability to the country if I'm paid in USD, in the USA?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Exactly, you could say your on an extended business trip. Also sort out your international health care coverage, because the last thing you want to do is get sick without coverage. Bupa is one of the best for the international traveler. I would get your company to pay for this or ask them for international coverage with their current provider.

Group, individual & expatriate health insurance quotes - Bupa International
billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone in Europe really work?