Join Early Retirement Today

World cruise, opinion, experiences?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

World cruise, opinion, experiences?

In the past My DW and I enjoyed 1 or 2 weeks cruises.

Last night we got a brochure from the C company, and as I was reading it,
I said to DW, what do you think about a "World cruise", when I retire next year.

It's one of those lifetime adventure, that you can do only once but will be able to see about 40 destinations around the world. The cruise starts in Sydney AU, and ends in Sydney.

We prob. have to get the cheaper cabins, and economize in a lot of things to make it happen. I don't know if we can physically and psychologically handle
107 days of cruising
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We get material from cruise companies also and notice the world cruise options.

While 107 days would be way too many buffets for me personally. I suspect that it may suit others just fine. Usually though after a week or so we are ready to be off the ship.

Go check out the forum on www.cruisecritic.com and see what others have to say about world cruises.

Perhaps an intermediate step would be to do some back-to-back cruise first. I read a post over on cruise critic of a Snowbird from Canada taking his family on 4 week long cruises back-to-back on different ships in the caribbean in order to escape the winter blues in Canada.

What I do notice though is that the prices for world cruises seem to be too high. If you estimate a daily rate for a certain cabin category for shorter cruise, you'll see that the long world cruise trips just aren't price competive.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I have a friend that has been on three world cruises. She & her husband are real LBYM's types so I was shocked . Apparently they get great deals from Princess cruises.Her last cruise was 50% off plus you can bring on wine from any port so that saved on liquor bills . They love them . I just recently saw a cruise advertised for Carnival Legend that is not a world cruise but a transatlantic going from London to New York visiting Scotland, Greenland ,Ireland ( Dublin & northern Ireland ), Iceland & St.John 's NS . It's very reasonably priced and would hit some exotic spots with a few sea days in between .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what this world cruise would cost, but have you considered where you could travel if you spent the money on other travel related adventures?

I have a problem with cruises in that you rarely get to really know a place. Rather, it's a quick trip in and out of a city and then on to the next one. As far as I can see the cruise is the Main Feature of the trip, not the places one visits. Sort of like going to the library, reading the first 10 pages of every book they have on nuclear physics and claiming one has studied nuclear physics.

But that's me. If you like to cruise, do it! It's your life.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't know what this world cruise would cost, but have you considered where you could travel if you spent the money on other travel related adventures?

I have a problem with cruises in that you rarely get to really know a place. Rather, it's a quick trip in and out of a city and then on to the next one. As far as I can see the cruise is the Main Feature of the trip, not the places one visits. Sort of like going to the library, reading the first 10 pages of every book they have on nuclear physics and claiming one has studied nuclear physics.

But that's me. If you like to cruise, do it! It's your life.
What we like about cruising is that you only pack once. We like being pampered a bit. and we like the sort of low-stress manana' mood that you get into.

For us, it's not so much on where we go as the experience of the ship.

Jokingly though - Once you've seen a few churches, forts, and ancient cities they all kind of look the same - don't they ? And every American knows that outside of our borders only barbarians live anyway.

- More grog Bartender !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Don't do cruises, but I did, (back in the early/mid 1960s when ocean travel was the favored mode, and cheaper than airfare), in addition to going westward from Australia towards the Med, take one 6 week voyage across the Pacific from Melbourne to Southampton, England......at one point, after leaving Fiji, we didn't see land for 10 days.

A few of us, young guys, even considered asking the Captain if there was any w*rk we could do.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Why world cruise? I don't know yet.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Why world cruise? I don't know yet.

1. We've been to about ten of them, mainly Princess C lines, and as whole, they're acceptable or good and not the others we tried.
2. The 40 destinations is agreed a sample of what's going on there and can't stay longer to really know the place. But try going to 40 destinations on your own and see how expensive is it going to be. So it is a sample. There are usually a choice of excursions. For a photographer like me, It may work, but not all the time.
3. Buffets- This is where one has to pace himself. Although we went to buffet 2x a day, we made sure that we eat almost the same thing we eat at home with a little pizzaz, and we watch the "portions!!!
4. The last cruise we had, I was at the gym everyday in a 7 day cruise! So you can be as active as you want.
5. A port destination may be cancelled due to weather or political unrest, and that's a bummer!
6. It may turn out to be a bad ship. The Norwegian one we had just stinks! and can't wait to get off it.
7. For longer term repeats, Princess may offer substantial discounts and upgrade the cabin to a nicer one.
8. We only ate in the no charge buffets and restaurants and avoid the ones with cover charge.
9. We don't drink alcohol and bought very little stuffs.
10. I figure about 55K to 60K to see the world in 107 days. If we divide it to 3 shorter cruises, it will cost more due to air travel to the embarkment ports.

Opinions welcomes.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are world cruises, and then there is this:
http://www.end-of-the-world-cruise.com/

The last stop before returning to Miami involves a trip to the steps of a Mayan temple just in time for... Well, you know.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That's not as easy to answer as I expected. The costs I've heard by chance in the past were astronomical, but I see one can do a 107 day world cruise for about $22K/person or $44K/couple (though you can easily spend 2-4, even 10 times that much). Works out to about $2,900 per week, people spend that on vacation all the time. I wonder what expenses aren't included though. If I wanted to see the world by boat, it's not a bad option.

We would have to be careful about eating, it would be easy to go completely out of control eating 3 meals/day on a cruise ship for 15 weeks.

It would be an unforgettable experience...if you go, I think we'd enjoy hearing about it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I looked at a 34 day segment . The price was $4280per person for an ocean view room . It goes from Sydney to Fort Lauderdale so that would cut down on airfare. I think 34 days would be my limit . I could pull the plug easily on that price .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #11

107 days on a cruise ship? I don't think you could pay me enough. I think I'd follow Khan's advice before I did it.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi –

I’ve never done a full world cruise, but have done a few 23-27 day world cruise ‘segments’ (e.g., Singapore to Dubai), as well as other non-world cruise longer cruises, and will be going on another 'segment' in the Spring of 2013 (Dubai to Venice, or what we’re affectionately calling the “Arab Spring Cruise”). (Never could do anything longer because I have been working).

Others have posted about the lack of authenticity of the travel experience in a cruise, primarily because of the inability to “really get to know a place.” I guess I have a less radical view, and agree with other posters about evaluating the benefits of cruising on its own terms, rather than expecting it to meet some ‘ideal’ of what travel should be. With that lens, I actually find cruising has a lot going for it.

Note that this is coming from someone who has literally spent years as a ‘traveler’ over my life on all parts of the spectrum. On the ‘cheap end’ this has included numerous multi-month trips hitchhiking, camping out and/or hippie backpacking on a few dollars a day in Central/South America, Africa, and Asia; a two month long biking/camping trip in Japan; working low wage jobs to make my way in Switzerland and Senegal; serving as Peace Corps volunteer for 3.5 years in Ecuador; renting a room in a slum in Ecuador during my doctoral research; and illegally squatting in an apartment in Paris for several months. In more recent years, I’ve done more of the ‘expensive’ end travel with my professional work in developing countries -- modern hotels in capital cities, peppered with less glamorous digs in rural field visits.

But all through this time, I have also done a lot of cruising, because this was one of the opportunities to do family trips with my parents and brother (in fact, our parents brought us on our first cruise when we were 8 years old and the only kids on the boat!). It wasn’t the only type of vacation we ever took by any means, but it was one, and as my parents aged, and now as my mother is in her 80s, it is the only kind of international trip she wants to take.

Because I have had a juxtapositions of all these different types of travel experiences, often within the same year, I have resisted any inclination to ‘judge’ one type of travel as better than another. They are just different, and each has its own pros and cons. I think several of the other posters here have pointed out many of the reasons people cruise, including the convenience, pampering, and ability to ‘sample’ different locations. I have found the following to be the main considerations with respect to cruising specifically:

· Who you’re with: I find that overwhelmingly what I value about the cruises is the memories made with my family. You spend a lot of time together on a cruise, much of it literally just hanging out (on those long days at sea), and that time is really a gift when you don’t live with someone full time.
· Where you’re going: Because we’ve done so much cruising, and have an interest in unusual – and new – destinations, it is a constant quest to find an interesting itinerary which isn’t something we’ve done before. The World Cruises (or cruise segments) are actually among the most interesting itineraries you will find out there, so that is a strong selling point in my opinion. No, you aren’t going to ‘go native’ with a day or so in any of these ports, but on the other hand, are you likely to ever take a dedicated three week trip to Qatar or Togo? Probably not…. And for some destinations (like Antarctica, for example), ships are one of the best/only ways to visit any of the research stations, etc.). So I look at it as a way to complement and expand upon other ‘deeper’ traveling I do.
· What kind of ‘fun’ you like: The longer cruises all have a lot of days at sea where you are not in port, and I have to say these are a delight when you are working and this trip is your ‘vacation’, just because they are as relaxing and restful as you want to make them. (Maybe this is less of an issue for the FIREd, because one’s whole life can be quite relaxing!). In terms of how you spend your time, if you are the type that is sufficiently entertained being able to read, chat with travel companions, watch movies, play board games, etc. you will be quite content…. others want/need more entertainment and interaction, and every decent cruise line has plenty of activities going on to keep folks occupied as well. So you can be as active as you like.
When you are in port, I have to say that it’s impressive the range of different activity types that are now offered in the cruise-sponsored tours, including outdoorsy/physical adventure all the way to traditional bus tours, and/or the opportunity to explore on your own. I’ve done everything from paragliding to attending concerts – so it’s really anything goes (do note, however, that this is one of the biggest additional expenses you will incur beyond the cruise cost – it can add up to thousands of dollars on a very long cruise with a lot of ports of call). Do these constitute more than a ‘dabbling’ in the destination? No, of course not, but that doesn’t mean they still aren’t interesting and fun trips.
· What your expectations are for comfort and ease of travel: As others have posted, there is nothing easier than just unpacking once, always having fancy food prepared for you 24-7, and basically not having to take care of any life details while you’re on the boat. Particularly as my parents aged, overland travel became more strenuous for them, especially when traveling to the more exotic places they always wanted to visit. So the ease of having things very organized for you really has been a selling point. I don’t need all that luxury necessarily in all my traveling, but it’s nice and contributes to the relaxation/stress reudction factor.
· The ‘buffet’ issue: I know people fear the overeating/overindulgence factor, but I have to say that especially for longer cruises, you definitely have enough time to get over that ‘binge’ phase, and probably won’t find it that hard to revert to a more normal pattern of eating/exercising, etc. Cruise lines have also come an enormous way in providing numerous healthy eating options, catering to special diets, and also they have completely stopped ‘pushing’ people to eat more than they want to in the dining room. There is also a lot more time and opportunity to exercise. In fact, when taking cruises as a vacation from a stressed out work life, I found that I was much better in taking care of myself than when at home!
· The cost: If you go for cheap interior cabins (which we always do, since we don’t spend much time in the cabin anyway, and it’s not the place we want to put our money), cruises can be among the most reasonable vacation costs you can have. What is not included in the quoted price are: (a) the daily tips -- ~$10-13/day per person; (b) the tours in port, which as mentioned above can add up; and (c) drinks (sodas, specialty coffees, and alcohol). We spend the standard amount on (a), a medium amount on (b), and virtually nothing on (c) – so it ends up being reasonable. We also have been able to use a lot of my accumulated frequent flier miles to cover the airfares, which has saved a bunch over the years, but of course won’t last much longer as I leave my job…..

The Bottom Line: Now that I am about to FIRE, I certainly wouldn’t hesitate for a second to go from the 23-27 day range up to a 45 day cruise or so. I’m not sure I would do the full 107 cruise at once, however, mainly because I think it would be more ‘special’ to break it up a bit – I love the anticipation before going, and breaking up the home routine with periodic events like this. At the other extreme, I have found that 1 week cruises are not enough, 2 weeks is the absolute minimum – otherwise you’re just getting settled in an in the groove when you have to pack up and go home, especially if it’s a cruise than involves long international flights to begin them.

And none of this is to say that cruising would be the only kind of traveling I like or will ever do! I will continue to go camping, or do road trips visiting friends in the US, or take international trips that are a bit more Lonely Planet than Condé Nast…… but these are completely different experiences, and comparing them with cruises would be a bit of an apples and oranges exercise. I guess the question that people have to answer is how to spend their limited travel budget, and that of course is a highly individual choice. I personally would never be ‘all or nothing’ on anything now that I have experienced so much of the spectrum – I just get different things out of all these different kinds of travel, and probably always will. And I also would encourage people to find the positive in whatever type of travel option you are considering -- you might be surprised at the positives that each offers.

Birchwood, let us know if you do take the plunge – I’d love to hear how the 107 day experience is!

P.S. BTW, we’re leaving in a few weeks for a 24 day cruise down the coast of South America (Caribbean, Devil’s Island, etc.), up the Amazon to Manaus, and back. Looking forward to it!!!
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #13

We have been on a few cruises, 10 days being the longest so far, and have enjoyed every one of them. Going on our next cruise near the end of this year. We've discussed a 4-6 week segment in the Australia/Southeast Asia area, where cruising seems like a great way to see multiple countries conveniently. But, we will have to wait until retiring to be able to take that much time all at once. We know folks who've seen multiple SE Asia countries via flights/hotels, and the relocation every few days just wore them out. They needed a 'vacation' to recover. Princess seems to have several good Aus/SE Asia itineraries, and we've enjoyed our Princess CL trips.

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences of others who've taken 4-6 wk long cruises.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Considerations.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Considerations.

Smurray explained it well.
We are retiring and thus looking forward to something unique, and perhaps big to cap off years of working. We have taken more than 10 cruises and so we knew the pros and cons.
Pros:
We like to "sample" the whole world! not dig deep into one place or region.
We like the convinience of settling in your cabin and the ship moves around to the next destination. Could you imagine dragging all the luggages from one hotel to the next?
Almost unlimited choice of food. If not happy move to the next eating place.
We can personalize our activities in the ship, be on our own and meet later.
We can even choose our own diff. port tours. I'm into local and landscape photography, into hiking and walking around and my wife is more of a tour bus ride type.
The Gyms are mostly well equipped, and I have done my routine like home.
After a day, we are able to adjust our pace in the "buffets" have a good meal but not stuffing ourselves to death.
We can usually find a quiet place in the ship for meditation and reading.
We totally ignore and say no to offer of drinks and other silly expenses.
Concerns:
We haven't tried longer than 3 weeks, so concern about laundry, haircuts,
what clothes to bring, batteries charging, etc needs planning and assurance with the tour company.
Long cruise requires a good supply of toiletries, medicines etc.
What type of clothes to bring(easy wash and wear type)
Preparation to leave home for three months and more..
Preparation to read all the possible 40 destinations, that's a lot.
What camera equipmenst to bring?
Not every thing will turn perfect in a 107 day deal. Patience and understanding is key.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I think your a good candidate for a world cruise.

I did a 107 day around the world cruise. Yes it is too long. Will it kill you? No (one guy did die but it was on a tour bus in Egypt and had nothing to do with the ship). Is it worth it? Yes to see all the destinations (Do you think you will get to Easter Island any other way? What about Angkor Wat?). My VERY STRONG advice is to get off the ship and go overland as often as you can. I did several overland trips and many other passengers said they were going to go on the next year's cruise to do just what I did. Get off and see the country. You have plenty of time on the ship. You won't miss anything by doing independent overlands.

I'll go point by point through your concerns:
No worries on laundry. The ships have facilities and sales where they do it for a reasonable fee. However their commercial facilities are a bit hard on the clothes so doing it yourself can often make sense.

No worries on toiletries. You can buy just about anything on the ship, in most countries or half way through. If you considering Australia to Australia the US will be your half way point. If you do US to Europe then Guam will by your half way point. Guam, Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore have great selections of US branded stuff.

For clothes you will want to go to REI or equivalent and get yourself some good UV protective lightweight clothing. It is much cooler to cover up in the really hot countries then to let your skin fry in the sun. The natives know what they are doing with those long dress like outfits that show no skin. The longer garb also protects you against bugs. You will want sturdy waterproof walking shoes so you are comfortable sight seeing in rain. Only need to bring 1-2 weeks worth of clothes for on board. Everyone is wearing the same stuff over and over. For formals one for each segment is enough.

Preparing to leave home is the biggest item. But lots of good advice on that available on cruise critic.

Pick the destinations you are most interested in and do the research. Join your cruise critic world cruise group and make use of others research by joining their independent tours. Schedule some of your own and allow others to join. Make use of the research the cruise line has done on selecting tours. They usually have all the highlights scheduled so you can join their tours or schedule your own. Its OK if you can't research them all and just bail out and select a ships tour. Keep a spread sheet of what your learning, what you booked and how much it costs. While on your cruise, blog or keep a record of your memories by port. Sort the photos right away and post your favorites to a blog. Otherwise you will completely forget the beginning experiences by the time you are half way through.

Buy a water proof, dust proof, shock proof digital camera. You want something you can use to film your swim with sea lions or snap photos in a dust storm at the pyramids. Buy some face masks. They come in useful for pollution, dust storms or disease outbreak.

107 days is long. I was ready to get off at 60 days. But some others were trying to buy a spot on the next segment at the end of the cruise. You'll never know how it sits with you until you do it. Waiting till your older and infirmed does not improve the experience. Go right away, the first chance you get.
Sun456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We have also done long cruises. The ability to "sample the world" is an attraction for us. We are collecting our list of favorite places to go back to for a deeper dive. Other places (like the pyramids in Giza) we found awesome, but once is enough for us. Best bet is to build up to a WC and see what your tolerance is for shipboard life. Our progression was something like 10-day, 20-day, 50-day, 70-day, 100-day. Although many folks do find themselves stir crazy after a few weeks, we found it did not ever really hit us. You don't know what your tolerance is until you try. You will also notice the vibe of the ship changes as the cruise gets longer. Fellow travelers will in general be older, and there will be very few wild partiers and even fewer, if any, kids. On a long voyage, you will meet intensely curious adventurers, and folks with fascinating life stories and careers. (kind of like hanging out in the ER forum!) We've met many new friends doing long cruises.
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
strategies: in mind.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

strategies: in mind.

Try shorter long cruises like 30 days to determine tolerance.
Expect surprises. Weather, rough sea, and political unrest can change ports.
Expect some defects to occur, a plugged bathroom or toilet! be patient, they're fix it.
Learn to discriminate what suites you in the buffet. Control portion well.
Hit the GYM as often as you can.
True, longer cruises may have older more well behaved passengers, and may have the same interest as we have.
Have a clear understanding why you're doing it-- To sample the world. The ship is not Cunard's Queen Mary, so it is not perfect or that formal.
Have a daily schedule of activities that you like, and do it.
Choose the port excursions well.
Enjoy the ride- you are ER!!!.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #18

Great advice - one last thing: what we liked about the cruise was the port stops....you do get a sample, but that is good as you aren't stuck somewhere you don't like and if you do like it you can come back and stay longer on a vacation. There have been a few spots we were glad the ship only stayed awhile - amazingly at many of our Caribbean stops.....not so much on the Alaskan or Eastern Mediterranean cruises.
Group Rates?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #19

Group Rates?

I've been looking at these cruises myself. In another forum (bulletin board for the Timeshares Users Group), there's a group of forum folks who get together on short cruises - I've been on one myself to Alaska. The 107 day cruise might be a bit too long for us, but I can see us taking the 34 day cruise segment in January 2014. We could have a Group Retirement Cruise and grab some group rates. Any soon-to-be retired travel agent want to help get this started?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know about world cruise, but I'll probably look at some global repositioning cruise next year. They are about 16 days, not expensive, unless I am missing the catches. The plan is to fly to Europe, take vacation there for a few weeks, and then sail back to the States. My problem is that it is hard to find someone to go along with for the trip, because most of my friends are still trapped in the workaday world and cannot afford that amount of time away from work.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote