Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Unfortunately yes. Some of her US based Dominican friends won't go there either.
As others have stated, one must be extra careful, but to us right now, there are too many things to be concerned about, when there are plenty of other beautiful places to visit.
Exactly
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you think you could relax and enjoy it, I’m sure the beaches are beautiful. However if you do go, I’d avoid mixed drinks and based on what other posters have said, would probably stay on the resort. That type of travel doesn’t appeal to me unless it’s a very nice private island resort such as Peter Island, PSV, or various other upscale low density hideaways. I’ve traveled extensively in the Caribbean but have never been motivated to visit the DR or Jamaica.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a cruise stop there. A group excursion would be ok.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #44

Not a chance. We've been to most of the islands via cruises but they really don't hold much interest for us since we live in Florida within a couple minutes walk to our uncrowded small town's beautiful beach.

Before retiring we spent some money making our backyard a retirement destination building a large timber pergola with shade canopies, BBQ grill, dining area, porch swing, hot tub, limited grass to mow, and fruit trees.

There is no need to spend our money traveling to places that have a chronic reputation as a dangerous place. In the past we have preferred to travel to Nepal, Scotland, Iceland, Hong Kong, Italy, Greek Islands, Canada, Peru (hiking Inca Trail), as well as exploring almost every state in our own country. Some of these in groups that I have led, others on a cruise and many others on our own. So we have some experience with both national and international travel.

You can have problems anywhere but I see no reason to "poke the bear" in countries with reputations for danger. Too many other places to see.

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

No way. There are many nice places to visit in this world that are far safer.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

My son and girlfriend are there right now. Curious how it goes.

I remember travelling to Turkey years ago when there were bombings. We couldn’t have felt safer in the US though we spend most of our time outside of the big cities.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #47

Ok we gave in and cancelled. Supposed to get our money back from hotel. So we'll be in Atlanta (there for other reasons) with a week to kill and a few bucks in Delta money to fly somewhere. Looking for beach/pool centered vacation. South Carolina? Florida? Yes we know it will be hot and humid. Any great ideas?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if you’re preferring a hotel or AirBnB situation but we just returned from Margaritaville Hotel in Pensacola Beach and absolutely loved it. Perfect for a beach/pool vacay. Lots of lovely amenities, including free garage parking, and located on the uncrowded side of the pier.
Good luck and enjoy your relaxing week!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #49

One thing that bothered me was getting drinks from the minibar. In my mind, I was thinking of those little 50 ml sealed bottles. I came across a photo of a minibar. It blew my mind! What they had were inverted full bottles of liquor with a dispenser like they have in English pubs.

Who knows what is in the bottles? There were a couple of people that got violently ill after taking a drink from their minibar.
There have been any number of cases of tainted alcohol both in the DR and in Mexico.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
+1 on avoiding DR.

Are you able to cancel your trip and get your money back?

If so, I would look for alternatives.
Guessing, but I bet you won't have a problem cancelling with all that has been reported recently.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Similar stuff is happening in Mexico.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...uts/513563001/
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We went to Punta Cana last October. We were two couples, rented a Chevy Suburban with a driver/guide for one of the days. When we wanted to explore the marketplace and the oldest church in the town, the driver joined us and led us thru that area. He advised/warned us not to purchase anything. On the way back he took us thru another town where they have sugar mills. The driver informed us that he will drive thru the area where the sugar plant was located and also thru the residential area where the officers of the plant lived in beautiful cottages along the beach. There were armed officers along those streets and we made sure we stayed in the car.

The Punta Cana Tourist areas, mall and the resorts are safe but I would not go into the interior towns. In fact I will not to back to Dominican Republic! There are many better and safer places to visit in this world
Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Couldn’t purchase edibles or anything?
Old 06-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Ok we gave in and cancelled. Supposed to get our money back from hotel. So we'll be in Atlanta (there for other reasons) with a week to kill and a few bucks in Delta money to fly somewhere. Looking for beach/pool centered vacation. South Carolina? Florida? Yes we know it will be hot and humid. Any great ideas?

USVI is beautiful and safe!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I'm just not into all-inclusive resorts where the natives wait on you hand and foot but you don't want to venture outside the barbed-wire gates of the compound. I know that's a dream vacation for many. So no, I wouldn't visit the DR but it's not because of recent headlines.

I visited Mexico last March with some trepidation- small-ship cruise in the Sea of Cortes- and LOVED it. In that case, I'm glad I ignored the headlines (other than exercising the usual cautions).
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Did anyone mention this yet?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Republic.html

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

odds are you'd be perfectly safe. That being said, there are lots and lots of places in this world that don't have these reported mystery deaths. So for now, it's other places for me.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #58

Another tourist death in DR reported....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/ameri...LAxLT74xH1vgAo

omni
Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Not even to smoke fine cigars fresh.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a ‘rule.’ It originated retroactively after my tour in Vietnam (infantry). The rule is, “Never go to places you hear about on the Evening News.”

It has served me well. I recall some business travel to Ireland. This was during the sectarian violence time frame. The locals there were urging our travel contingent to go to Northern Ireland for the weekend. “Good shopping up there,” they said. No thanks.

I’ve used it on other occasions and it would apply here.
Closed Thread