Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would you travel to Dominican Republic now?

We have a scheduled trip to Punta Cana in a couple weeks and we have never been there. I am not normally a wimp but the combination of the mystery deaths and the general travel advisory have me leery. Actually for two reasons: 1) I don't want to become the next mystery death and 2) it's a week long trip to a "5 star" resort but we are not necessarily sit at the resort all day/all week people. The travel advisory has me second guessing plans to go to the big city one day and other excursions. Rationale? Irrational? WWYD?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the travel advisory is new, is it? The mystery deaths aren't that new either, are they? They are just being re-reported after the David Ortiz shooting. Staying in the resorts doesn't seem to protect you against those mystery deaths either.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dominic...eir-vacations/

Personally I wouldn't go there but I don't think things have changed much since you booked other than the high-profile Ortiz shooting, but maybe your awareness has. And that's legit. I pay attention to those travel advisories. I wouldn't be ruled by one but I'd factor it in. Some countries have travel advisories about traveling to the US, and yet here I am.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd stay away from any open bottles of liquor. If it ain't sealed; I ain't drinkin it!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My DGF is from DR originally and spoke about visiting some cousins recently. At this moment in time, we will not go there.
I used to follow a blog from DR populated by expats and there were definitely some scary stories.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

I just wonder how many deaths there are from these causes when they don't drink from the mini bar. People jump out of their routine, long flights, DVT maybe, I bet quite a few keel over without any monkey business. I'm completely uninformed, but don't understand the motivation. Usually there's something the bad guys want.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

+1 on avoiding DR.

I’ve looked at visiting a few years ago and I found that outside of resorts, it’s not wise to travel around. That’s not how we travel, so we went elsewhere.

With all the additional issues coming out of DR, it’s just more reason not to go.

Are you able to cancel your trip and get your money back?

If so, I would look for alternatives.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I would not go. Maybe the silver lining with the David Ortiz shooting is with all the attention, eventually the DR will be a safer place as if folks no longer visit, maybe change will happen for the better. Only time will tell.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Been there twice...to catch ships to Europe...wouldn't 'go there to go there'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Outlier here.

I don't know if I wouldn't go there. I'd stay away from the mini bar though.

We used to go a lot of places in the Caribbean that could be seen as sketchy but we'd stay within the confines of the resort which were usually great. The guys walking the beach with the machine guns provided an odd sense of security; sort of a bubble you lived in while outside the fence was something you didn't want to deal with/see.

Caveat: We're pretty seasoned travelers, generally know what to watch out for and not much bothers us.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't think that I would go. If I did I would be super-cautious... but if you have to be super-cautious, what is the point of a vacation?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
We have a scheduled trip to Punta Cana in a couple weeks and we have never been there. I am not normally a wimp but the combination of the mystery deaths and the general travel advisory have me leery. Actually for two reasons: 1) I don't want to become the next mystery death and 2) it's a week long trip to a "5 star" resort but we are not necessarily sit at the resort all day/all week people. The travel advisory has me second guessing plans to go to the big city one day and other excursions. Rationale? Irrational? WWYD?
My brother and his DW spent s week in Punts Cana last year, and they enjoyed themselves. It calls for smart traveling. If you’re hoping to get out and explore on your own with local guides, check out the local restaurants and such, there are better destinations. If you’re happy to stay at the resort and just soak up the sun you should be fine.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

No I wouldn’t go. I wouldn’t be able to relax and enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, sounds like no threat of Overtourism in the DR!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been going to a travel-restricted country for over 20 years. But we stay in private accommodations and buy our own food. We do buy from well-known taco stands.

BTW I have a buddy who has top-secret clearance with the US government, and he has checked where he can visit without losing the clearance and we are OK so far.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

We went on a late h9neymoon. Guys with big guns at airport. Guys monitoring luggage claim. Guys with big guns running gate to enclave. Another set of guards at gate to resort. And this was a small resort at Puerto plata. We're we very safe or very endangered? Dunno. We didn't drink from mini bar.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #16

We've visited far scarier places than the DR with a few (very well reported) tourist deaths. Mexico, Peru last month (followed by a "front page" CNN report of missing 36 yo woman in one of exact areas we were), multiple places in Africa, I was even in Honduras and Guatemala a few years ago. I believe that yes, there are risks in some of these adventures. However, the ability of the media and internet to sensationalize these events makes their importance greater than the risk IMO. There's danger everywhere, it's how you avoid those risks. Staying inside my home to minimize risk won't work for me, I can go 2 miles and walk streets at night I'd likely not survive.

I don't think I've ever taken anything from a mini-bar for cost reasons. The reports of liquor tampering in other Caribbean areas further puts a damper on it IMO. I'm not a spirits drinker, but I'm not sure partaking of such in third world countries is well advised unless you have a good idea of the establishments reputation. It all boils down to being aware and making judgements. We traveled with DS in many areas in Africa that would be a strict no-go for us, but his knowledge of the areas and keen situational awareness made us quite comfortable. When I was in Honduras a few years ago with some other volunteer engineers, we had a local guiding us, never felt at undo risk. Besides all that, at 68 I hope to live a lot longer, but if some sudden catastrophe takes me out and saves me the long slog my parents and in-laws went through, well I'm not sure how bad that is!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #17

The TA has been up since April, but then again, DR is rarely on the "totally safe you're silly to even think twice" list. Since I'm in FL, and the Caribbean has so much to offer, I can't think of any reason I'd ever go there.

The Ortiz shooting appears to have been a very specific target. Assuming you didn't book this ages ago, I don't know that you have reason to feel any less safe now than you did when you booked. I probably wouldn't go off prem at night, but that's probably anywhere suspect.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
gone traveling

We went to an 5 star Iberostar Punta Cana resort February 2 years ago. We made the decision to stay on the resort, and not travel about. It was a very nice resort, but didn't appreciate the beach vendors bordering the property, and the vendor shack wreckage floating in the surf/imbedded in the beach from recent hurricanes. The International airport hub is a large non-A/C thatch hut, and the surrounding area truly looked, and felt like an impoverished 3rd world country.

The food was good, but late reservations, and coordinated 5 dish servings were a bit over the top, along with the mandatory butler service. The only sickness in our group was from overdoing the alcohol in the evenings.

This year, we went back to Sandals South Coast Jamaica for the second time, and already booked a third time for next year....just so much more laid back, and spread out than Iberostar, a much shorter flight also.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
gone traveling

The concept of going to a resort to stay just there the entire time over 3/4 days is not appealing. Boring in my mind/imagination.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
The concept of going to a resort to stay just there the entire time over 3/4 days is not appealing. Boring in my mind/imagination.
That's my point.
Closed Thread