WWYD? Cruise or charity?

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Several out of state friends wound up on the same 12/8/22 cruise. It's an okay itinerary but I'd be going just to reconnect. Or donate 1k to the Philharmonic. Can't do both. But want to.

I hate cruising but I love donating to charitable causes that I care about. I would forget the cruise and do the donation. Since the main thing you want to do is connect with friends is there a way to do this other than a cruise? Do they live close enough to meet somewhere for dinner?

It seems like you want to reconnect with your friends. You should go on the cruise. You can donate to the Philharmonic next year, but may not get the chance to be together with your friends next year.

As much as I am an advocate for charitable giving, I would say go on the cruise if you truly want to reconnect. You will be able to give in the future, and can even leave them something in your will. A cruise with friends, you cannot make assumptions about when you will experience that again.

Charity begins at home. Go see your friends and have a great time!

Charity begins at home. Go see your friends and have a great time!

+1. See old friends or give money to people you'll never meet?? Easy.

The philharmonic will survive without your $1k.

Last edited:
Yep - see friends. Leave something to the philharmonic in your will if you want to give them something and can’t do it next year.

Don't even hesitate. Go on the cruise. Friends get old and unfortunately, some die. The philharmonic can wait till next year.

Definitely go on the cruise. A few years ago we were supposed to go spend 4 days with friends. Then another friend was in the hospital and we canceled to take care of her dogs. A few months later the husband in the first couple found out he had terminal cancer and never came home from the hospital. He looked so healthy so it was a huge shock. I really regret that decision.

This is such a false choice. No offense to you OP but this depends on what you personally value. I have little interest in cruises so I would probably lean toward charity. But again, nothing against philharmonics, but I can think of more worthy charities to me personally. So if the choice were between a cruise and a cause I already support, it woul dbe my cause. If the choice is cruise or philharmonic, I'd probably take the cruise with old friends.

You don't need anyone's permission for how you spend your own money. Do what YOU value most!

Don't even hesitate. Go on the cruise. Friends get old and unfortunately, some die. The philharmonic can wait till next year.

Go on the cruise. I just found out that my high school friend was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. We discussed taking a trip together after we retired, but sadly I’m not sure that will ever happen.

I wouldn’t think twice

Go on the cruise, and start giving $10-25/mo to the charity.

Cruises don’t appeal to me but connecting with friends is important. What the rest of us would do doesn’t mean anything, it’s what’s more important to you. I’d have to agree with those above who say charities will never stop needing help. We have a budget for charity and we spend it every year, but not a penny more.

Thanks. Going on cruise. Having dinner with a few on the Philharmonic board Saturday so just won't mention it.

Good for you! I turned 65 this year and it has motivated me even more not to put off getting together with people who are important to me. We are finishing up a one-month road trip around New England right now where we have been getting together with old friends. It's been amazing!

Cruise and have fun with old friends. You made a good choice enjoy your time.

Not that this is OP's case, but I believe we should put our own needs and desires ahead of charities.

My mom recently passed and we've discovered that she was paying over $30k a year (one $25 donation at a time) to several dozen charities. In mom's case it didn't affect her lifestyle --she could well afford it--, and yes, I was "somewhat" aware, but we do hear of these old people living on cat food in order to keep up with their charitable giving.

If charitable giving makes you feel good that's fine but when faced with having to decide between giving your money away instead of seeing old friends, having a nice meal, fixing the car or personal care, I think charity should begin at home.

Thanks. Going on cruise. Having dinner with a few on the Philharmonic board Saturday so just won't mention it.

Won’t mention what? Your cruise and getting together with your friends? That would be a shame. You don’t need to hide or justify your actions. If there’s that much pressure from the board to donate, maybe it’s time to reevaluate. Going on the trip to see your friends is the right thing to do.

Won’t mention what? Your cruise and getting together with your friends? That would be a shame. You don’t need to hide or justify your actions. If there’s that much pressure from the board to donate, maybe it’s time to reevaluate. Going on the trip to see your friends is the right thing to do.

Agree. I make no mention of my finances to anyone, including family. Our financial info is between DH and I.
And, who could pass up a cruise for $1k? And see friends also.
Go and enjoy!

Agree. I make no mention of my finances to anyone, including family. Our financial info is between DH and I.

And, who could pass up a cruise for $1k? And see friends also.

Go and enjoy!
Cruise with air will be a little over 2k (room 1365, taxes / port charges 377). You're right stressing over nothing. Now to arrange babysitters. (Dog & 16yo)

Back
Top Bottom