Join Early Retirement Today

Wyoming Blue Hiways
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wyoming Blue Hiways

My wife and I are attending a family thing in the SLC environs this summer and are toying with the idea of driving through Wyoming on the way to Id after the goodbyes. This likely will include a stop in Jackson, but we have seen that enough to just pass through. Any sleeper two lane routes dear to your heart? We are not opposed to hardpack gravel if the payoff is there. Sights and points of interest are welcome too.

Please don't send us thru Rock Springs...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 AM   #2

The Remington museum in Cody is worth a visit.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haha, that was my only input, Rock Springs! We drove down from Canada through Montana and Wyoming, to the Green River (Flaming Gorge area) on Hwy 191. It was one of the highlights of our trip, honestly. But we were heading down to Moab so it suited us to ride that way.

I will say that Wyoming reminded us a lot of Kazakhstan, even called it the Steppes of America, as the similarity of the terrain was remarkably similar to that of Central Asia.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Having previously lived in the Cowboy state for too many years there are plenty of ways to get back to ID. Just how much of Wyoming do you want to see? If you travel northeast you can stop at Hot Springs state park in Thermopolis and then continue up to Cody and then back west through Yellowstone Park.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's out of your way, but if you want scenic desolation the southern half of Wyoming 789 will supply it.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The Remington museum in Cody is worth a visit.
I believe you mean the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody & yes, it's worth the better part of a day.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
gone traveling

If you've never done the NE entrance to Y-stone from Cody up to Red Cloud MT & then west on 212, you've missed the best there is. Magnificent.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
If you've never done the NE entrance to Y-stone from Cody up to Red Cloud MT & then west on 212, you've missed the best there is. Magnificent.

I think you mean Red Lodge, Mt. It's called the Beartooth Highway. Chas Kuralt used to rate the most scenic drives in the country, and this one was always in his top three.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I believe you mean the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody & yes, it's worth the better part of a day.
No, I actually meant the Whitney Western Art Museum. Some magnificent Frederic Remington works. The Cody Firearms Museum is another treasure.

Cody is almost invisible in tourism links I've seen, but well worth an entire day or two IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
I think you mean Red Lodge, Mt. It's called the Beartooth Highway. Chas Kuralt used to rate the most scenic drives in the country, and this one was always in his top three.
You're right. Red Lodge.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
No, I actually meant the Whitney Western Art Museum. Some magnificent Frederic Remington works. The Cody Firearms Museum is another treasure.

Cody is almost invisible in tourism links I've seen, but well worth an entire day or two IMHO.
OK. I didn't know about the other two museums. Thanks. Agree on Cody not getting mentions.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We took 191 through Jackson, then Yellowstone, then east through Cody. Great trip. I usually research the scenic byways https://www.wyomingtourism.org/thing.../scenic-byways and then pick a route
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the tips, all. I and wife need to decide how much time we can spend driving back home from slc. I would like to spend a whole week, she much less, so the negotiation begins.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Thanks for the tips, all. I and wife need to decide how much time we can spend driving back home from slc. I would like to spend a whole week, she much less, so the negotiation begins.
Get her a one way plane ticket & take 10 days.